Stupid things that you believed as a child

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Stupid things that you believed as a child
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking a lot lately about my upbringing, and got to thinking about some things my parents told me as a child.

Aside from the religious stuff I believed, I was told that every time I used a swear word, a black dot appeared on my heart, and I was only allowed a certain number of dots (can't remember how many) before god would get angry with me.

I can think of many examples of lies I was told, and as a child I believed.

Would love to hear any of yours..

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2016, 01:17 PM
RE: Stupid things that you believed as a child
I believed that swimming within an hour of eating could cause cramps and result in drowning.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-01-2016, 01:20 PM
My older brother and I were in a store with an escalator and he convinced me that there was a guy down in the basement who caught the steps as they came down and put them over on the other side to go back up. This was when I was 4 or maybe a bit older and he was 8 or 9.
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
16-01-2016, 01:38 PM
I was told that I had to go to school because it was important for when I got older.

I was sceptical even then but I went along with it for a few years.

Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
16-01-2016, 01:48 PM
I believed in a whole bunch of stupid religious stuff. I also believed, or hoped, that if I could find the right closet, I'd get to Narnia or some other magic land.

I also believed in perfection as 1) achievable, and 2) necessary to achieve in order for anybody to like me. ("thanks," Mom.)

My son, when he was about 6, went to his cousin's birthday party. My SIL had hired an Elmo to come entertain the children. Mostly the kids were terrified. My son was the only kid at the party to follow Elmo when Elmo left, so for quite a while he believed that Uncle Doug's study was a secret portal to Sesame Street.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-01-2016, 01:56 PM
I used to think aspirin came from Quaking Aspen trees. I thought they took the tree trunk and shrunk it down to the size of a pencil then cut it into little pills.

I thought ferrets were mice that were put on a stretching machine and stretched into ferrets.

I thought that if I went out, got some grass in the meadow next to our house and made nests for the local bird population that they'd be thrilled, come by and fly off with the entire nest. They never did but I kept making nests anyway.

I thought fish were in actual schools under the water learning fish stuff.

I thought bees made honey with some sort of tiny little machine. The machine had a crank that the bee had to constantly turn to make the honey come out.

For several weeks one summer I was convinced that I was invisible. I was the youngest of 6 and no one paid any attention to me so logically I was unseen and quite invisible. Unfortunately when school started up my mother found me.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 8 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-01-2016, 01:58 PM
I used to believe that my vote mattered.
[+] 5 users Like jason_delisle's post
16-01-2016, 02:05 PM
When I was 7 or 8 and into whistling, my grandma told me that Mother Mary cries in heaven whenever little girls whistle.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-01-2016, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2016 03:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
Put me in coach. I'm ready to play.
I could be centerfield.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-01-2016, 02:10 PM
(16-01-2016 01:20 PM)DerFish Wrote:  My older brother and I were in a store with an escalator and he convinced me that there was a guy down in the basement who caught the steps as they came down and put them over on the other side to go back up. This was when I was 4 or maybe a bit older and he was 8 or 9.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin