Stupid things that you believed as a child

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: Stupid things that you believed as a child
(16-01-2016 01:14 PM)Thewonderer Wrote:  Hi everyone,

I've been thinking a lot lately about my upbringing, and got to thinking about some things my parents told me as a child.

Aside from the religious stuff I believed, I was told that every time I used a swear word, a black dot appeared on my heart, and I was only allowed a certain number of dots (can't remember how many) before god would get angry with me.

I can think of many examples of lies I was told, and as a child I believed.

Would love to hear any of yours..

I believed in santa claus, easter bunny, and jesus.....now as an adult I know they are all made up Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Soooo, I really liked onions as a child (still do). My brother and two neighborhood girls (all 4 years older than me) acted like they were making an onion soup in the wheelbarrow and told me it was ok to eat the wild onions that grow in the yard. They convinced me to pick and try them and eat the green blades. Yep, tasted like onion. I didn't know it wasn't normal thanks to them, and continued to do that when I was outside playing until Mom caught me doing it around age 5 or 6.

My brother still likes to make fun of me for "grazing." Angry

Meanies.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
26-01-2016, 10:41 PM
I used to believe that I could keep my bedroom safe while I slept if I touched every wall face, narrow ends of the closet and all. (Not my only early sign of OCD.)

For a while I believed that I was an alien or some experiment placed with my family to be raised as a normal human.

I believed that I would someday have to survive in the wild for a long time.

I believed there was something special or magic about cinnamon tea. Like it nurtured latent psychic powers.
27-01-2016, 01:57 AM
I remember watching a Lost in Space episode where some furry monster came out of a hole in the ground on some alien planet ... I was perhaps four years old. For at least a couple of years after that, I thought that was literally the way the Devil lived.
27-01-2016, 03:32 AM

I've been thinking a lot lately about my upbringing, and got to thinking about some things my parents told me as a child.

Aside from the religious stuff I believed, I was told that every time I used a swear word, a black dot appeared on my heart, and I was only allowed a certain number of dots (can't remember how many) before god would get angry with me.

For a while as a child I believed the Moon landing was a hoax done in a film studio in London, because that's what my father told me. By the age of 10, I had grown out of that one.
I briefly entertained the idea that the JFK assassination was a CIA operation, on the basis of the 'magic bullet'. .. Which my father introduced me to.
The entirety of all surfaces were covered in amoeba.
Playstation games marked as Platinum were special editions to be protected.
Obviously, the best way to help a person afraid of thunder and lightening would be to push them out into a storm so they can get over their fears.
I got the idea in my head that all religions were all worshipping the same god; their ideas all came from one misconstrued non-divine source.
But the dumbest thing I believed as a child I think would be that I could disprove the existence of any god by just challenging them to smite me; after all, if they existed logically they would stick up for themselves and stop me from blaspheming.
I was not bright.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
27-01-2016, 05:47 AM
(27-01-2016 03:32 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  

For a while as a child I believed the Moon landing was a hoax done in a film studio in London, because that's what my father told me. By the age of 10, I had grown out of that one.
I briefly entertained the idea that the JFK assassination was a CIA operation, on the basis of the 'magic bullet'. .. Which my father introduced me to.
The entirety of all surfaces were covered in amoeba.
Playstation games marked as Platinum were special editions to be protected.
Obviously, the best way to help a person afraid of thunder and lightening would be to push them out into a storm so they can get over their fears.
I got the idea in my head that all religions were all worshipping the same god; their ideas all came from one misconstrued non-divine source.
But the dumbest thing I believed as a child I think would be that I could disprove the existence of any god by just challenging them to smite me; after all, if they existed logically they would stick up for themselves and stop me from blaspheming.
I was not bright.

Until I came to Oklahoma (I was in my 40's) I did not know that some people thought the moon landing was faked nor did I realize that some people didn't believe in science. Facepalm

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
27-01-2016, 06:20 AM
I believed that babies came from UFOs.

And of course cats sleep on you and suck out your soul. Evil_monster

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2016, 06:46 AM
I had some common ones I think. I used to be afraid to swallow fruit pips cos a tree would grow inside me, but I did it anyway 'cos I thought it might be kinda cool. I used to run and jump onto my bed so that the hand under the bed wouldn't be able to grab me. I still often sleep with the blankets twisted over my face and just a very small breathing hole - I got used to sleeping like that 'cos I was afraid spiders would drop on my face - a rather more rational belief since we did get a lot of humungous spiders.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-01-2016, 07:12 AM
I believed families were dangerous. I still hold this belief.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-01-2016, 07:23 AM
I believed that human powered flight would one day be a reality --- I figured all you had to do was build a plane that was light enough with enough wingspan.....

My dad - who was a Air Force pilot, then later a commercial pilot - told me I was a moron, and I didn't know what I was talking about. He told me I didn't have the math to understand why the weight to thrust ratios made it impossible....

[Image: mac0-007.jpg]

I still give him shit for that one.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post