Stupid things that you believed as a child

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 10:30 PM by carol.)
RE: Stupid things that you believed as a child
I believed that a ghostly woman with long arms would go under my bed at night and try to grab me, so I would jump into bed instead of climbing into it. I also hid under a blanket tent with a peep hole for my eyes.

I was a very early reader, and I would read everything I could get my hands on. When reading one of my parent's books, I misread and confused the words 'pubic' and "public"-and I was too shy to ask about it. I thought people grew public hair...in a private place....and when I got old enough I would go to pubic school.

I was so easily convinced. If some one 'pinky swore" I thought they could not possibly lie, because they had promised.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like carol's post
03-02-2016, 02:26 AM
Ghosts. I believed my mother, who still believes she has seen a multitude of ghosts. I guess it's still possible that ghosts exist, but it seems like there is a more logical and reasonable explanation for most things that go bump in the night, and that if ghosts do exist then they are most likely not the result of a disembodied spirit - so if that's the case why call it ghosts. It's the God problem all over again. Alexander was regarded as a god by some - and I believe he existed, but probably couldn't suspend the laws of physics, so then why call him a god? I don't.

Also, I believed putting silverware in the microwave could cause an explosion. That's what the adults said. Been putting silverware in microwaves for at least a decade now. Probably longer. No explosions yet.

03-02-2016, 02:45 AM
(03-02-2016 02:26 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Also, I believed putting silverware in the microwave could cause an explosion. That's what the adults said. Been putting silverware in microwaves for at least a decade now. Probably longer. No explosions yet.

http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/why-can%E...-microwave

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-02-2016, 07:20 AM
On the north side of Dublin there is a church, St. Marys, known locally as The Black Church . The story goes that if you walked backwards three times, anti-clockwise, around the Black Church at midnight you would meet the devil. This scared the hell out of us kids.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
03-02-2016, 08:28 AM
(03-02-2016 07:20 AM)Marozz Wrote:  On the north side of Dublin there is a church, St. Marys, known locally as The Black Church . The story goes that if you walked backwards three times, anti-clockwise, around the Black Church at midnight you would meet the devil. This scared the hell out of us kids.

There's none like the Irish for ghost stories...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post