Stupidest Argument You've Ever Heard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Stupidest Argument You've Ever Heard?
So basically, I'm just wondering what is the stupidest argument you've ever heard that "proves" Christianity is true.

Here's mine:

I was on Facebook one day and saw a argument already underway. I was going to intervene until I saw what the Christian said, which was "Since one thing in the bible is true, everything in the bible is true." I instantly stopped reading the argument as I felt some of my brain cells instantly die as I stared blankly at the screen.

The things that was wrong with her argument, that I thought were plainly obvious, is

1) Obviously the statement saying that "One thing is true than everything is true." That is absolutely false and I can prove it. If I had 1 Apple and 4 Potatoes and said "Welp, 1 Apple is a Fruit thus all of the items are a fruit." It doesn't work that way, rather the reverse is true. If one thing is false, than the whole thing is false. So if I arranged the above statement with "Welp, since there is 1 Apple, then the list can never be all Vegetables." So her train of thought was completely backwards.

2) But even if that was a reasonable train of thought, and was true, you would have to accept a lot of things that are already proven otherwise. Like; The Earth being flat, two major sources of light, the Earth only being around for 6,000 years, etc.

So yeah, that was the dumbest argument I've ever seen. What's yours? And am I right with my reasoning? Post your replies Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chan1254's post
10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
RE: Stupidest Argument You've Ever Heard?
Pascal's Wager. It's always confounded me that people actually use the Wager still, despite the incredible logic holes.
[+] 3 users Like SaviourSelf's post
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
There's so many awful ones I just have to tune out and forget.

In threads like this in the past I always refereed to the: Just look outside at the trees and nature, how can you not believe in GOD?

The kicker that gets me always is the argument from ignorance in any form. Argumentum Ad Ignorantiam
Any of that: you can't prove there's no God, science can't prove yadda yadda yadda, etc. Is all the utmost ridiculous argument to me.
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Ive heard some stupid ones in my time...but I must admit that they almost all are based on Pascals wager. Specifically I remember a few years ago on Wikipedia it said Pascals wager was considered the greatest argument to become a Christian. I got a screen shot of it but lost it down the line. Good luck trying to do anything on that wager page, the fundies have built up a stronghold around it and try their damnedest not to allow many criticism. At one time there were TONS of criticism's to it. They have all been removed and the argument itself is now being praised as logical, pragmatic, and one of the first instance of probability and game theory. thats alot of big talk for something that basically pans out as "The stories about Hell frighten me, therefore I should believe in Jesus."

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
There are a lot of bad ones over the years. However the stupidest usually end up being anytime a creationist wanders into trying to use math or scientific laws, which instantly puts them way out of their league.
10-04-2012, 01:55 PM
"You just feel the Holy Spirit in your heart", William Lane Craig.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
1) God.
2) Therefore he exists

1) Read the Quran and god will reveal himself to you
2) I've read the Quran so I know god exists
3) therefore god exists

1) god exists... you're just stupid
2) therefore god exists

1) how can so many people be wrong?
2) therefore god exists

1) humans need a soul
2) if we don't have souls we're not humans
3) we're humans
4) evolution goes against biology
5) god gave us the soul since it couldn't have happened through evilution
6) there for god exists

my favourite:

1) you can't explain that !
2) god exists

these come up in general conversation or debates about god. I just put them in premise form.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Do I get bonus points if I say all of them?

Seriously, I am yet to hear a single argument for christianity which isn't stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes Napoleon's post
10-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Many...currently:
Carbon Dating is as it is because of Noah's flood, all of the water "pressured" the samples, making it the way it is...millions of years "off".

Because alot of religions had a flood, Noah's flood is correct.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
10-04-2012, 04:10 PM
(10-04-2012 04:05 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Many...currently:
Carbon Dating is as it is because of Noah's flood, all of the water "pressured" the samples, making it the way it is...millions of years "off".

Because alot of religions had a flood, Noah's flood is correct.

It wasn't shamelessly copied from other religions was it? No no no surely not!