Stymied by syntax and lies in debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 02:40 PM
RE: Stymied by syntax and lies in debate
(23-10-2014 02:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 02:05 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The effect is due to gravity and the same effect can be achieved through velocity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation...e_dilation

Clocks that are closer to a source of gravity will operate slower.
A clock moving in an airplane at a high velocity will also operate slower.
But in the case of the hour glass clocks, we are talking about falling grains of sand.
The person on that forum site picked this way of inaccurately telling time because they knew that objects in a weaker gravitational field (high in the mountains) will fall slower than objects at sea level, under a higher gravitational field.

And as far as them saying time is a concept and concepts can't dilate.
Tell them, speed is a concept and this concept can move faster or slower.

Time is a measurement, a measurement of what is happening in the physical world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

I hope I have all of that somewhat right. There are lots details when it comes to relativity but hopefully I've pointed you in a direction where you can learn more about it.

Well; the gravitational effect is rather due to relative acceleration, not velocity (that's strictly special relativity only).

Relativity is demonstrable. And has been experimentally confirmed countless times.
(see: GPS, gravitational lensing, gravitational redshift, orbital motion, the aurora...)

If you've got two identical watches and some plane tickets you can test it yourself.

What I ask people who can't see the trees for their colon is why, if they're so brilliant, doesn't anyone take them seriously? It'd be the surest Nobel prize since its inception.

The answer is invariably "lol conspiracy", at which point they're accusing millions of people over centuries of instituting, disseminating, and perpetuating some incredibly vast and powerful conspiracy because... reasons.

It's not worth the waste of time to engage with.

Yeah, I love those LOL conspiracy guys.

The numerology nuts, Bible code bozos, mathemagicians, geocentrists, ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2014, 05:53 PM
So. I'd calmed down a little and I'd decided to see how long it took until I got banned. (That's why I hadn't replied to this. I didn't really have anything to add.)

Thirteen posts. Three of which were taken down for violating the Terms of Service. None of the (three) posts I made last night, the ones that would have gotten me banned, violated the Terms of Service so I've got no idea what specifically got me kicked out.

Honestly fuck that place. I'm out and that's a good thing.
Find all posts by this user
26-10-2014, 07:14 AM
(25-10-2014 05:53 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  None of the (three) posts I made last night, the ones that would have gotten me banned, violated the Terms of Service so I've got no idea what specifically got me kicked out.

The unwritten TOS is that thou shalt not encourage anyone to challenge their own understanding. It's all about faith brother. Just believe.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-10-2014, 07:44 AM
(26-10-2014 07:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-10-2014 05:53 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  None of the (three) posts I made last night, the ones that would have gotten me banned, violated the Terms of Service so I've got no idea what specifically got me kicked out.

The unwritten TOS is that thou shalt not encourage anyone to challenge their own understanding. It's all about faith brother. Just believe.

Yeah, the spiel they gave me was "This is a ministry site, so it is to be about spreading the ministry of Jesus". I was also straight-faced told that the apologetics forum was not for discussing apologetics.

There is (at least was) a really good sticky thread by a mod, telling the Christians of the site that the ToS applies to them, too, that nonbelievers may post form points of views that are foreign to them, and that their faith will be tested and they should prayerfully consider whether or not to post in that forum.

I brought this up to the mods, and their answer was "the admin says this site is a ministry site and he trumps what any one mod says". Of course, the actual admin was absent the whole time, so what it really came down to was two mods creatively interpreting the ToS and ignoring some common sense advice from another mod.

Seriously: fuck that place. Worthy is a fucking hole and there is nothing good that comes out of posting there. You can't have discussions there unless you're looking to become a believer. If you want to talk to or debate Christians, there are way better places for that.