Subconscious Battle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 02:06 PM
RE: Subconscious Battle
Welcome. You are well on your way to freedom. I had a similar "awakening". I fought disbelief for quite a while before finally letting it all go and admitting to myself that I simply did not believe. It was awesome. Like you, the fear was the last thing to go for me as well, but it will also fade. I live in Alabama so I know of what you are speaking when you talk about the culture and how you would fit in it as an atheist. I am still not out to my community, but the very first person I told when I finally let go of belief was my wife. There is no way to sanely exist with someone you love without being open about who you really are; that is true with anything, not just with religious views. Better to start off with the truth and know that the other person respects you for who you are, not someone you are pretending to be. Even if that means it is a little harder to find the right one. But trust me, there are more of us here in 'bama than you think.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
05-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Welcome!

First off, I wouldn't do anything you are not comfortable with. No need to come out until you are at a place where you can fend for yourself. Try not to worry about it overmuch and continue to question the reason behind religion and it's place in history. These things are good building blocks for critical thinking.

As for dating, you're young, you do not have to form strong attachments to others while dating. There's nothing wrong with just going out to have a good time. Just make sure you don't lead someone on, keep it open, honest and casual. If they want to talk religion then you can easily state you want to keep an open mind and are not yet ready to commit to any doctrine at this time.

As for hell. These is nothing after death. Nil. Blank, as if we never were. All evidence points to this conclusion and there's no logical reason to doubt that. That does not mean that the fear of death is unreasonable. That fear is perfectly normal. My recommendation would be to read about it, sometimes the easiest way to desensitize yourself from a fear is to immerse yourself in the information about that fear. That would also work on your fear of hell. I think if you read a great deal about all the different kinds of hell man has imagined you would find them unbelievable, even ridicules.

I hope you find some comfort here amongst the atheists on this fo. Like minded people who're supportive can make a world of difference, even if we're only online friends. Smile

Be well.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
05-01-2016, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 02:50 PM by Adrianime.)
Hey there, sorry you are going through hard times. I'll offer my perspective, even though I say do what feels right for you. As a disclaimer, I don't come from a religious background at all.

(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)GuruMatt Wrote:  So my questions are:
1. How do I fully convince myself there is no hell?
Getting advice from others who have gone through this will help you a whole bunch. If it were me, I'd probably try to see if I could find any reason why there might actually be a hell. If I can't find a good reason, then I'd have no reason to believe.
Quote:2. How do I let everyone know?
(assuming you are talking about your beliefs) I don't tell people, but I don't hide it. I'd say it depends on your relationship with people. For instance if I started believing in a god, I would have a sit down conversation with significant other, but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell anybody else. I'd just "do me" and people can figure things out on their own. But religion has never been a big deal to me or my fam so it is different for you I'm sure.
Quote:3. Do I wait to let everyone know?
It's up to you! I'd surely wait until you are comfortable and at a safe place in life (self sufficient and all that).
Quote:4. Since most of the girls here a religious, do I just lie and tell them I’m a Christian when it comes to dating? Or do I wait until I am older and find another non-believer?
I had this struggle too. I would never pretend to be a Christian, but I was very worried about how Christian girls would view me. It turns out that I'm not compatible with most Christian girls as they think I'm going hell, and probably want to raise Christian babies. Not to mention that anybody who makes significant life choices based on religion would bug "the hell" out of me.
Quote:5. Would you consider me an atheist?
If you are "without the belief that at least one deity exists." then you are an atheist. So Simpo. Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-01-2016, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 03:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-01-2016 03:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hi Welcome to TTA Smile

1. How do I fully convince myself there is no hell?

I would recommend reading The Origin of Satan by Elaine Pagels.

2. How do I let everyone know?

Tell them in your own time and when you want to or feel the time is right. There's no rush.

3. Do I wait to let everyone know?

If you feel more comfortable doing that--then I would say yes, go at your own pace.

4. Since most of the girls here a religious, do I just lie and tell them I’m a Christian when it comes to dating? Or do I wait until I am older and find another non-believer?

No, don't lie to about your nonbeliefs. That's no way to build trust in a rship and will only cause problems as your rship grows.

5. Would you consider me an atheist?

Atheists don't believe in hell or the devil. What do you consider yourself to be? It's not up to others to give you a label.

But you would you cry if the Holy Ghost made me dance funny ?
I think none of you would be athesists after that sight. O Lawd in heaven deliver us.

Seriously , don't be in a rush. Tell them you're thinking things over. It's not their business unless you want it to be.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-01-2016, 03:12 PM
(04-01-2016 08:38 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 03:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  5. Would you consider me an atheist?

Atheists don't believe in hell or the devil. What do you consider yourself to be? It's not up to others to give you a label.

So true. Well said, Jennybee!
I disagree Tongue.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
05-01-2016, 03:16 PM
(05-01-2016 03:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 08:38 PM)Aliza Wrote:  So true. Well said, Jennybee!
I disagree Tongue.

Why would you want someone else to define who you are as a person?
05-01-2016, 03:50 PM
(05-01-2016 03:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 08:38 PM)Aliza Wrote:  So true. Well said, Jennybee!
I disagree Tongue.

You would! Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
05-01-2016, 03:55 PM
(05-01-2016 03:50 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 03:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I disagree Tongue.

You would! Blink

It's true Laugh out load

I love that Adrianime has different opinions though, it makes things interesting on here. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-01-2016, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 04:46 PM by Adrianime.)
(04-01-2016 08:38 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 03:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  5. Would you consider me an atheist?

So true. Well said, Jennybee!

(05-01-2016 03:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 03:12 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I disagree Tongue.

Why would you want someone else to define who you are as a person?

Haha well, nobody can define who you are. But what you are can be defined. Just like I can't say that since I don't identify with being an english speaker I am no longer an english speaker, I also can't say that because I don't identify with being an atheist I am not an atheist. Atheism has a clear definition, it isn't a lifestyle or a culture to join. You are an atheist if you do not hold the belief "at least one deity exists" to be true.

Also, technically you can be an atheist while still believing in (a godless version of..) hell Tongue. Atheists could even believe in fairies...you know, technically Big Grin.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
05-01-2016, 04:49 PM
(05-01-2016 04:38 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Also, technically you can be an atheist while still believing in (a godless version of..) hell Tongue. Atheists could even believe in fairies...you know, technically Big Grin.

Would one then have to live the fairy lifestyle? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post