Subconscious Battle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 05:03 PM
RE: Subconscious Battle
(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)GuruMatt Wrote:  1. How do I fully convince myself there is no hell?

Well let's start with this. What do you do to convince yourself that the greek underworld dosn't exsit? What do you do to convince yourself that Valhalla dosn't exist? Or Yomi, or the land of two fields. You most likly don't give it two thoughts. You don't concern yourself that these other afterlifes that have very spefic acts that must be done to get you their are even real. Why? Maybe you've never learned of them, or because you've realize that hell like these other places are no more real then Santa's home at the north poll. A long list of ancient religions contimplated what life after death would be like. In all likely hood it will be just like before life.

(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)GuruMatt Wrote:  2. How do I let everyone know?

Know what? That you have doubts. Concerns? Work on yourself first. Come to terms. Educate yourself. If you have a question ask it. If you aren't satisfied with the answer fact check. Find reliable sources.

(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)GuruMatt Wrote:  3. Do I wait to let everyone know?

It dosn't have to be a big sit down. Just you do you. You sound like you're just starting to come to acceptance. There's no need shout to the world I'm An Atheist! Look at me HELLO world I'm ALIVE!

[Image: lifeBrian.gif]

If you feel comfratbale telling someone your postion. Then tell it. Just be ready for disagreement. That's were educating yourself on the topic will come into play.

(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)GuruMatt Wrote:  4. Since most of the girls here a religious, do I just lie and tell them I’m a Christian when it comes to dating? Or do I wait until I am older and find another non-believer?

How old are you?

(04-01-2016 12:01 PM)GuruMatt Wrote:  5. Would you consider me an atheist?

You may just be a theist, or a deist.

The quick test would be.
Do you believe that there is a God?

If you answer with anything else other then Yes. Congratulations! Your an Atheist.
[/quote]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
05-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Looks like another shoot and scoot to me. Their posts all fit a certain profile.

#sigh
05-01-2016, 06:00 PM
(05-01-2016 05:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like another shoot and scoot to me. Their posts all fit a certain profile.
Oh, I didn't even consider that he might just be screwing around. You think he's a fake? Or that he has no plan on actually interacting here, and will just make the one post? Consider

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-01-2016, 06:05 PM
(05-01-2016 06:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 05:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like another shoot and scoot to me. Their posts all fit a certain profile.
Oh, I didn't even consider that he might just be screwing around. You think he's a fake? Or that he has no plan on actually interacting here, and will just make the one post? Consider

It's only been a day so it could still go either way. Even if he is just screwing around the situation he described is going to match a lot of other people so the responses are still worthwhile. Casting bread upon the waters and all that... Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
05-01-2016, 06:12 PM
(05-01-2016 04:38 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 08:38 PM)Aliza Wrote:  So true. Well said, Jennybee!

(05-01-2016 03:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why would you want someone else to define who you are as a person?

Haha well, nobody can define who you are. But what you are can be defined. Just like I can't say that since I don't identify with being an english speaker I am no longer an english speaker, I also can't say that because I don't identify with being an atheist I am not an atheist. Atheism has a clear definition, it isn't a lifestyle or a culture to join. You are an atheist if you do not hold the belief "at least one deity exists" to be true.

Also, technically you can be an atheist while still believing in (a godless version of..) hell Tongue. Atheists could even believe in fairies...you know, technically Big Grin.

Well, yes, society can define what you are...but he was asking us to tell him what he was. I really don't like to tell people what that definition is and prefer they come to whatever conclusion that is on their own. Atheists technically could believe in a godless version of heaven or hell--but those places are the home bases of God and Satan. I think it would be counterproductive to believe in the home bases of mythological figures, while not believing in said mythological creatures. Tongue
05-01-2016, 06:21 PM
(05-01-2016 06:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  

They all have a certain eau de stink of disngenousness and insincerity. I swear that many of them seem like they're written by the same person. But I've been wrong before. I misjudged the WannabeChaplain.

(05-01-2016 06:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 06:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh, I didn't even consider that he might just be screwing around. You think he's a fake? Or that he has no plan on actually interacting here, and will just make the one post? Consider

It's only been a day so it could still go either way. Even if he is just screwing around the situation he described is going to match a lot of other people so the responses are still worthwhile. Casting bread upon the waters and all that... Big Grin

That's why we should let 'em in. Even trolls have an ecological role.

#sigh
05-01-2016, 06:33 PM
(05-01-2016 06:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 04:38 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha well, nobody can define who you are. But what you are can be defined. Just like I can't say that since I don't identify with being an english speaker I am no longer an english speaker, I also can't say that because I don't identify with being an atheist I am not an atheist. Atheism has a clear definition, it isn't a lifestyle or a culture to join. You are an atheist if you do not hold the belief "at least one deity exists" to be true.

Also, technically you can be an atheist while still believing in (a godless version of..) hell Tongue. Atheists could even believe in fairies...you know, technically Big Grin.

Well, yes, society can define what you are...but he was asking us to tell him what he was. I really don't like to tell people what that definition is and prefer they come to whatever conclusion that is on their own. Atheists technically could believe in a godless version of heaven or hell--but those places are the home bases of God and Satan. I think it would be counterproductive to believe in the home bases of mythological figures, while not believing in said mythological creatures. Tongue
Haha there are so many versions of hell and heaven that it wouldn't surprise me if some completely exclude a god concept.

I guess I look at the "am I an atheist?" question the same way that I look at a question like, "am I a vegetarian?" Neither of them define you as a person, but both have criteria that you can evaluate. I don't really see them as "labels" so maybe that is the difference. A "label" in this context seems like something that you are perceived as? Maybe? Something that I am by definition seems separate.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-01-2016, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 12:49 AM by jennybee.)
(05-01-2016 06:33 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 06:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, yes, society can define what you are...but he was asking us to tell him what he was. I really don't like to tell people what that definition is and prefer they come to whatever conclusion that is on their own. Atheists technically could believe in a godless version of heaven or hell--but those places are the home bases of God and Satan. I think it would be counterproductive to believe in the home bases of mythological figures, while not believing in said mythological creatures. Tongue
Haha there are so many versions of hell and heaven that it wouldn't surprise me if some completely exclude a god concept.

I guess I look at the "am I an atheist?" question the same way that I look at a question like, "am I a vegetarian?" Neither of them define you as a person, but both have criteria that you can evaluate. I don't really see them as "labels" so maybe that is the difference. A "label" in this context seems like something that you are perceived as? Maybe? Something that I am by definition seems separate.

I am so used to the church trying to tell me who I am , what I should wear, who I should love, what I should believe, etc. Because of that, I try not to do the same thing to someone else. I believe in people thinking for themselves in all areas, especially in figuring out who they are/what they believe/what their life philosophy is. That is my take on it anyway--that these types of things require some level of self-reflection--instead of someone else saying yeah, you are an atheist.