Subconscious: Fact or Fiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: Subconscious: Fact or Fiction
(09-08-2012 09:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Worth a read:

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/64403...ns-running

This part was of particular interest to me:

Quote:...he and Tversky did a series of ingenious experiments that revealed twenty or so “cognitive biases” — unconscious errors of reasoning that distort our judgment of the world. Typical of these is the “anchoring effect”:our tendency to be influenced by irrelevant numbers that we happen to be exposed to. (In one experiment, for instance, experienced German judges were inclined to give a shoplifter a longer sentence if they had just rolled a pair of dice loaded to give a high number.)

Just this week I was talking to my therapist about something similar that I experience with Time. I've just passed my 1 year anniversary in psychotherapy and I was telling her I was having an issue with the fact that I don't feel leaps and bounds better than I did when I started (granted, I was suicidal when I started and I'm much less so now, so I am better than a year ago). But I'm still not happy with my life or feeling any more confident and sociable than I was when I started. Even as I started talking about it, I realized I was putting special significance to the passage of a year. One year seems like a decent marker of time and looking for improvement, but still, it is essentially an insignificant number. There is nothing magical in the passage of a year, still I wanted to feel like I could point to something tangible, just because a year had gone by.[/size]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I've read half of that book. *Very* good read.
09-08-2012, 03:43 PM
(09-08-2012 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  I've read half of that book. *Very* good read.

Which half did you read? Top or bottom?Smartass

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-08-2012, 07:16 PM
(09-08-2012 12:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  At various time I've questioned the existence of the subconscious yet leaned toward the possibility of it existing to exert hidden Influences on the wakeful mind.

The fuck Hellbound? I question the existence of the conscious mind. There is an ever increasing amount of evidence that the conscious mind is nothing more than a servant to the subconscious to go through the mail and prioritize it to make sure I pay the bills and don't throw nothing important out.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-08-2012, 08:06 PM
(09-08-2012 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 12:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  At various time I've questioned the existence of the subconscious yet leaned toward the possibility of it existing to exert hidden Influences on the wakeful mind.

The fuck Hellbound? I question the existence of the conscious mind. There is an ever increasing amount of evidence that the conscious mind is nothing more than a servant to the subconscious to go through the mail and prioritize it to make sure I pay the bills and don't throw nothing important out.

I remember mail. In Phoenix? Go outside. Move mail from box to bin. Get paid by government. Hmmn... capitalism. Dodgy

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Johnny, I just got done watching The Secret You.

Oh.My.Gee. Blew my mind, so to speak. Thumbsup

12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
(09-08-2012 08:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck Hellbound? I question the existence of the conscious mind. There is an ever increasing amount of evidence that the conscious mind is nothing more than a servant to the subconscious to go through the mail and prioritize it to make sure I pay the bills and don't throw nothing important out.

I remember mail. In Phoenix? Go outside. Move mail from box to bin. Get paid by government. Hmmn... capitalism. Dodgy

But you are certifiably insane and thus warrant some extraordinary community support to keep you from going nuclear bonkers. I'm down with that tax. Feels like I'm just paying for an employee of the National Park Service responsible for keeping visitors from getting too close to the edge of the abyss. I'm down with that.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.