Substance dualism, why is it still a thing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 01:47 PM by epronovost.)
RE: Substance dualism, why is it still a thing?
@Tomasia

15 pages of word games to arrive to this conclusion? Why didn't you simply said so earlier? You believe in souls, and by extansion in substance dualism, because you have faith that this thing that you have trouble to clearly define exist. Has an apistevist this isn't an explanation that I would support. I know this might sound strange and might go against your experience on this site, but I wouldn't have called you stupid for it. I disagree strongly with you, but that's about it.

I got a question for you, if you have a soul who or what else possess one and why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Why is this still a thing?

Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2015, 04:34 PM
(02-09-2015 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Sure, property dualism and Materialistic Monism are not the only two choices, they just tend to be the predominant options. There’ a variety of other categories as well, which accommodate a variety of different options. So you could have answered I don’t subscribe to either, I subscribe to neutral monism.

The only rational position for a skeptic is idealism. Immanuel Kant would be so disappointed.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-09-2015, 04:36 PM
(02-09-2015 09:36 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Hell, we can even take big magnets and simulate NDE's (near death experiences) and out of body experiences because it is all happening in the brain, not outside the brain.

must resist must resist must resist ... do not try do not try do not try do not do try do

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2015, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 07:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-09-2015 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don’t believe in a soul because I believe in substance dualism. I believed in a soul long before I even knew what dualism even meant. It’s because I believe in a soul, and variety of other things that I believe in substance dualism, not the other way around.

You do realize you are describing a classic case of confirmation bias. I hope.

If you are going to employ substance dualism to support your belief you will have to defend substance dualism. Which has long been regarded as completely untenable and indefensible by like, well everyone who has seriously considered it. You're probably better off just saying you believe in a soul just because you do and not resort to clearly untenable positions to justify your belief. It diminishes your position.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
(02-09-2015 02:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Why is this still a thing?

Fuckers can't find their Gwynnies. Big Grin

02-09-2015, 04:56 PM
(02-09-2015 04:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 02:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Why is this still a thing?

Fuckers can't find their Gwynnies. Big Grin

Well, there was a whole big story connecting the OP to the vid and shit in my head, but; Gwynnies! Heart
[Image: xFXm5X3.gif]

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2015, 07:37 PM
(02-09-2015 04:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 04:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fuckers can't find their Gwynnies. Big Grin

Well, there was a whole big story connecting the OP to the vid and shit in my head, but; Gwynnies! Heart
[Image: xFXm5X3.gif]

Shocking

Should I start to be worried about that last comment?
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
02-09-2015, 07:47 PM
(02-09-2015 07:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 04:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, there was a whole big story connecting the OP to the vid and shit in my head, but; Gwynnies! Heart
Should I start to be worried about that last comment?

ummmmmm .... not yet but ...... yeah, ... uh maybe. Do you resemble Gwyneth Paltrow? If not you'll likely be okay.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-09-2015, 01:04 AM
@ Tomasia- wondering why you're still a thing was wondering why you were still in this thread whilst being peeled back like an orange. Big Grin

@ Vid I posted - The very thing which seemingly defeats dualism keeps letting it back in. Science. Why the particular vid is a big ol' crazy prophet-type rant that I'll just condense into "the possibility of CERN creating black holes within its energy range" which would be construed as evidence of extra dimensions.

@ epronovost - whadda mean, worried? Angry
If you're thinking I could be a threat to Gwyneth in any way, shape or form, Imma hafta drag your happy ass over to the "things that should not be spoken in my presence" thread and smack your head against the wall a few times...
...wait a sec, that prolly didn't help my case Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post