Subtle Quotes on Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Subtle Quotes on Atheism
I would like to ask all the Thinking Atheists if they wouldn't mind sharing with me quotes on atheism from known sources. I prefer subtle quotes to minimize backlash from the Oklahoma workforce. By known sources I simply mean not 'Anonymous'. I am in a quotation signature war with a coworker in which we use quotations in our work email signatures. He's been doing it for years and always has very strong religious language at the bottom of his electronic missives. His current quote is "Science is the game we play with GOD to find out what His rules are." He doesn't attribute the quote to anyone and I have not been successful in learning who may have made the statement. My current signature is one from Mr. Hitchens, "How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape." When I post a quote I never directly mention religion or God, Jesus, or Allah, again, to avoid the inevitable Oklahoma workforce backlash. And I never used an anonymous quote. This is a pet peeve, I suppose.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2015, 05:10 PM
RE: Subtle Quotes on Atheism
There's a bunch of good Carl Sagan ones:

Quote:In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

Quote:The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.

Quote:I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.

Quote:Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever it has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?

Quote:What counts is not what sounds plausible, not what we would like to believe, not what one or two witnesses claim, but only what is supported by hard evidence rigorously and skeptically examined. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Quote:For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Some more subtle, others less.

As for an answer to your colleague's signature:

Quote:The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
09-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Galileo Galilei:
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use

In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Surely, God could have caused birds to fly with their bones made of solid gold, with their veins full of quicksilver, with their flesh heavier than lead, and with their wings exceedingly small. He did not, and that ought to show something. It is only in order to shield your ignorance that you put the Lord at every turn to the refuge of a miracle.

Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel.

Robert Green Ingersoll
We have heard talk enough. We have listened to all the drowsy, idealess, vapid sermons that we wish to hear. We have read your Bible and the works of your best minds. We have heard your prayers, your solemn groans and your reverential amens. All these amount to less than nothing. We want one fact. We beg at the doors of your churches for just one little fact. We pass our hats along your pews and under your pulpits and implore you for just one fact. We know all about your mouldy wonders and your stale miracles. We want a this year's fact. We ask only one. Give us one fact for charity. Your miracles are too ancient. The witnesses have been dead for nearly two thousand years.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Hitch

“What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

“Exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence.”

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks."

“I suppose that one reason I have always detested religion is its sly tendency to insinuate the idea that the universe is designed with 'you' in mind or, even worse, that there is a divine plan into which one fits whether one knows it or not. This kind of modesty is too arrogant for me.”

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”

“I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves.”

“Thus, though I dislike to differ with such a great man, Voltaire was simply ludicrous when he said that if god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. The human invention of god is the problem to begin with.”

“We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid.”

“Why do humans exist? A major part of the answer: because Pikaia Gracilens survived the Burgess decimation.”

“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

“Religious exhortation and telling people, telling children, that if they don’t do the right thing, they’ll go to terrifying punishments or unbelievable rewards, that’s making a living out of lying to children. That’s what the priesthood do. And if all they did was lie to the children, it would be bad enough. But they rape them and torture them and then hope we’ll call it ‘abuse’.”

“Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer.”

“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.”

“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”

“If Jesus could heal a blind person he happened to meet, then why not heal blindness?”

“Religion is man-made. Even the men who made it cannot agree on what their prophets or redeemers or gurus actually said or did.”

“Nothing proves the man-made character of religion as obviously as the sick mind that designed hell, unless it is the sorely limited mind that has failed to describe heaven — except as a place of either worldly comfort, eternal tedium, or (as Tertullian thought) continual relish in the torture of others.”

“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.”

“Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely soley upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”

“One must state it plainly. Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody-not even the mighty Democritus who concluded that all matter was made from atoms-had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion, and one would like to think-though the connection is not a fully demonstrable one-that this is why they seem so uninterested in sending fellow humans to hell.”

"The only worthwhile miracle in the New Testament—the transmutation of water into wine during the wedding at Cana—is a tribute to the persistence of Hellenism in an otherwise austere Judaea."

We owe a huge debt to Galileo for emancipating us all from the stupid belief in an Earth-centered or man-centered (let alone God-centered) system. He quite literally taught us our place and allowed us to go on to make extraordinary advances in knowledge.”

Smile

09-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Why do I get the feeling this thread should be stickied?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
09-01-2015, 06:42 PM
"You never question the truth of something until you have to explain it to a skeptic." -Donald Miller

"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"We are each entitled to our own opinion, but no one is entitled to his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Science is merely an extremely powerful method of winnowing what`s true from what feels good." -Carl Sagan

"Humans are pattern-seeking story-telling animals, and we are quite adept at telling stories about patterns, whether they exist or not." -Michael Shermer

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -Richard Feynman

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." -John Adams

"You could claim that anything's real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody's proved it doesn't exist!" -J. K. Rowling

"Genius, in truth, means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unhabitual way." -William James

"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers." -Bernhard Haisch

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

"If you make people think they’re thinking, they’ll love you; but if you really make them think, they’ll hate you." -Don Marquis

"In the real world, the right thing never happens in the right place and the right time. It is the job of journalists and historians to make it appear that it has." -Mark Twain

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 6 users Like cactus's post
09-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Douglas Adams

"There are some oddities in the perspective with which we see the world. The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be, but we have done various things over intellectual history to slowly correct some of our misapprehensions"

"The system of life on this planet is so astoundingly complex that it was a long time before man even realized that it was a system at all and that it wasn't something that was just there."

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day"

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. Life is a level of complexity that almost lies outside our vision; it is so far beyond anything we have any means of understanding that we just think of it as a different class of object, a different class of matter; 'life', something that had a mysterious essence about it, was God given, and that's the only explanation we had. The bombshell comes in 1859 when Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. It takes a long time before we really get to grips with this and begin to understand it, because not only does it seem incredible and thoroughly demeaning to us, but it's yet another shock to our system to discover that not only are we not the centre of the Universe and we're not made by anything, but we started out as some kind of slime and got to where we are via being a monkey. It just doesn't read well."

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."

"The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And … the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned."

"A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

"The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to."

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

"Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, "This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!" This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for. We all know that at some point in the future the Universe will come to an end and at some other point, considerably in advance from that but still not immediately pressing, the sun will explode. We feel there's plenty of time to worry about that, but on the other hand that's a very dangerous thing to say."

"Part of how we come to take command of our world, to take command of our environment, to make these tools by which we're able to do this, is we ask ourselves questions about it the whole time. So this man starts to ask himself questions. "This world," he says, "so who made it?" Now, of course he thinks that, because he makes things himself. So he's looking for someone who would have made this world. He says, "Well, so who would have made this world? Well, it must be something a little like me. Obviously much, much bigger… and necessarily invisible. Now why did he make it?" Now we always ask ourselves "why?" because we look for intention around us; because we always intend– we do something with intention. We boil an egg in order to eat it. So we look at the rocks, and we look at the trees, and we wonder what intention is here even though it doesn't have intention."

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a
contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

"Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Laugh out load

09-01-2015, 06:53 PM
There was a thread not long ago of Isaac Asimov quotes; many of those would work

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...mov-Quotes

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
09-01-2015, 07:13 PM
L K Washburn

No church has all the truth, and no school either. So-called religion merely shows where the search after truth ended. But truth is the infinite reality, and it will always be for man to find.

No man ever yet tore down his altar and found a God behind it.

Every kiss of love imprinted by a mother's lips on the face of her babe gives the lie to the Christian doctrine of total depravity, and every gift which the heart of pity lays in the hand of misfortune brands this doctrine as false and a libel on our human nature.

It is a waste of words to talk about God and what he knows and what he does. No man knows that God does anything, that God knows anything, or that there is a God.

Lots of men who would not associate with infidels for fear of contaminating their characters are not yet out of jail.

When a minister says that God will help you, ask him to put up the collateral.

Where the cross has been planted only superstitions have grown.

What a queer thing is Christian salvation! Believing in firemen will not save a burning house; believing in doctors will not make one well, but believing in a saviour saves men. Fudge!

But it is neither as God nor as a man that Jesus must be regarded, but as a myth. No such person ever lived either as a human or divine existence. He is simply a creature of fancy, the fruit of the imagination. He is a character of the brain, the creation of religious genius.

To build one house for man is better than to build a dozen houses to God.

It rains on the just and the unjust, but rarely just enough on either.

There is no authority that can be quoted against a man but the authority of some other man.

The truths which God revealed have been overthrown by the truths which man has discovered.

A man cannot be happy who believes in hell, any more than he can sweeten his coffee with a pickle.

If God exists, what objection can he have to saying so?

We are told that all things are possible with God, and yet God cannot boil an egg in cold water.

If the factory pays taxes and the church does not, it follows that the church will someday own the factory.

God cannot be put into the national Constitution without putting liberty out of it.

History shows that there is nothing so easy to enslave and nothing so hard to emancipate as ignorance, hence it becomes the double enemy of civilization. By its servility it is the prey of tyranny, and by its credulity it is the foe of enlightenment.

The more mystery is encouraged, the more deceit can impose upon the human mind.

An organization that requires the suppression of facts and the discouragement of knowledge in order to maintain its supremacy is the relic of a tyranny which our free age and our free thought are in duty bound to remove from the earth.

The churches erected in the name of God will ere long be tombstones to his memory.

What has God revealed to man that has ever helped him get a living?

Take away every achievement of the world and leave man freedom, and the earth would again bloom with every glory of attainment; but take away liberty and everything useful and beautiful would vanish.

A miracle is not an explanation of what we cannot comprehend.

There is greater argument in one fact than in all the creeds.

The doubter is the safe man; the man who can be depended upon. He does not build upon a foundation of guesswork, and the structure he erects will stand. Let us not fear doubt, but rather fear to have falsehood passed for truth.

Too long has this world been at the feet of the priest. Man is never in that position for his own benefit, but for the benefit of the priest.

We should scorn the person who would be mean enough to allow his fellow-being to be punished for his deeds. Yet we have a religion in our midst that is founded on this kind of meanness.

It is plain enough that men and women care for God. This is too apparent to be disputed, unless men and women are hypocrites. What is not so plain is that God cares for men and women.

Prayer is a hook that never caught any fish. It is a gun that never brought down any game.

The feet of progress have always been shod by doubt.

No man ever got an answer to prayer that he could show to another person.

The character of God would stand vastly higher in human estimation if he had visited the garden in which he had placed the first human pair and picked up the serpent and cast him over the garden wall before he had a chance to tempt Eve, instead of waiting until the mischief was done, and then cursing the whole lot for what he might so easily have prevented.

If there were no ministers and no priests, how long would there be any churches?

Unless some people change their habits before they die, there will be a lot of dirty angels in the next world, if there is any next world.

It has been discovered that the man who was lost in thought was not a church member.

Religion is no more the parent of morality than an incubator is the mother of a chicken.

Hell is where cowards have sent heroes.

When the church teaches that confession is good for the soul, it teaches false doctrine; it is only good for the church.

If man had no knowledge except what he has got out of the Bible he would not know enough to make a shoe.

We could believe in God if he shortened the road for the lame, led the blind or fed the starving.

A great many people who worship Jesus would not let him come at the back door.

A person has not much excuse for living who can make no better use of life than passing it in a nunnery.

Prayer is like a pump in an empty well, it makes lots of noise, but brings no water.

Laying up treasures in heaven never kept a man out of the poor-house.

Blessings on the man who first dared to doubt.

Trying to find God is a good deal like looking for money one has lost in a dream.

If we do not need to worship God six days in the week why do we need to worship him on the seventh?

God's name is not considered good at the banks.

Priest and God have formed some of the worst combinations in history.

The doctrine of salvation by faith is a libel on justice and has done more to undermine the virtue of the world than vice itself.

People who rely most on God rely least on themselves.

A dogma is the hand of the dead on the throat of the living.

We do not want holy books, but true ones; not sacred writings, but sensible writings.

A church that sets up a religious faith as more essential than purity, than kindness, charity or goodness, is a dangerous institution.

Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.

The original sin was not in eating of the forbidden fruit, but in planting the tree that bore the fruit.

The church is a bank that is continually receiving deposits but never pays a dividend.

When religion comes in at the door common sense goes out at the window.

Christianity is like a slow clock -- always being moved ahead.

If wisdom and diamonds grew on the same tree we could soon tell how much men loved wisdom.

We must condemn Christianity, not Christians; strike the church, but spare the heart.

The reason that revelation is always made to the simple is that the wise could not be imposed upon.

The person who can make a loaf of bread is more to the world than the person who could perform a miracle.

When Christian ministers stand up in their pulpits and say "Let us pray", if they would sometimes vary the invitation and say: "Let us laugh", they would do their congregations more good.

People used to think that to mix religion with business spoiled the religion, now they think it spoils the business.

The foolish and cruel notion that a wife is to obey her husband has sent more women to the grave than to the courts for a divorce.

The man who accepts the faith of Calvin is miserable in proportion to the extent he carries it out.

To depend upon God is like holding on to the tail-end of nothing.

God has done nothing for men and women except to scare them out of their wits.

Civilization has come about by going to school more than to church.

Whatever tends to prolong the existence of ignorance or to prevent the recognition of knowledge is dangerous to the well-being of the human race.

The true man walks the earth as the stars walk the heavens, grandly obedient to those laws which are implanted in his nature.

Priests will pardon thieves but not philosophers.

A theologian is a person who uses the word God to hide his ignorance.

Where are the sons of gods that loved the daughters of men?
Where are the nymphs, the goddesses of the winds and waters?
Where are the gnomes that lived inside the earth?
Where are the goblins that used to play tricks on mortals?
Where are the fairies that could blight or bless the human heart?
Where are the ghosts that haunted this globe?
Where are the witches that flew in and out of the homes of men?
Where is the devil that once roamed over the earth?
Where are they? Gone with the ignorance that believed in them.

Bowing

09-01-2015, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 08:03 PM by DLJ.)
Many of my collected favorites not specifically mentioning religion Thumbsup

Demands that you believe the impossible does not lead to peaceful outcomes.
Christopher Hitchens

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
Socrates

Truth never triumphs — its opponents just die out. Science advances one funeral at a time.
Max Planck

Vicarious redemption is scapegoating, a primitive tradition from the Middle East.
Christopher Hitchens

Microbiology and meteorology now explain what only a few centuries ago was considered sufficient cause to burn women to death.
Carl Sagan

In an era where we’re trying to cure cancer, where we’re trying to prevent pandemics, where we’re trying to keep math and science on the cutting edge in the United States to introduce bad science to ninth grade students makes very little sense to me. Garbage in garbage out.
Judge John E. Jones II

Data always trumps dogma.
Steve Spencer

The most dangerous place to stand is in between someone and what they want to believe.
Anonymous

Which is more probable, that the laws of nature have been suspended; by the way in my favor, or that I’m under a misapprehension? That’s if you saw it yourself.
Christopher Hitchens

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

The backfire effect predicts that if you present some people with evidence that contradicts their strongly held beliefs it will reinforce their existing opinions, rather than changing them.
Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler

Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.
Bertrand Russell

Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear.
Bertrand Russell

Old beliefs die hard even when demonstrably false.
E. O. Wilson

A clear conscience is the softest pillow.
Anonymous

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

The generality of men are naturally apt to be swayed by fear rather than reverence, and to refrain from evil rather because of the punishment that it brings than because of its own foulness.
Aristotle

The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. Persecution is used in theology, not in arithmetic.
Bertrand Russell

Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.
Ambrose Bierce

Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
Ambrose Bierce

There is something feeble and a little contemptible about a man who cannot face the perils of life without the help of comfortable myths.
Bertrand Russell

Does one apple in a vast orchard think as much of itself as we do?
Mark Twain

Human beings cannot comprehend very large or very small numbers. It would be useful for us to acknowledge that fact.
Daniel Kahneman

Holism has no evidentiary support. It doesn't work. Holism is nothing more than wishful thinking on the part of those who have the hubris to think that they are an important part of some cosmic plan.
Victor Stenger

If its true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin

Myths and creeds are heroic struggles to comprehend the truth in the world.
Ansel Adams

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
Voltaire

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
Isaac Asimov

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire

Suspend disbelief for long enough and one can end up believing.
John Allen Paulos

Homo sapiens, the only creature endowed with reason, is also the only creature to pin its existence on things unreasonable.
Henri Bergson

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain

Gravity, it's not just a theory
Anonymous

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine

The antiquity and general acceptance of an opinion is not assurance of its truth.
Pierre Bayle

The nice thing about science - it works regardless of whether I choose to believe in it or not.
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Science doesn’t start with a set of convenient conclusions and try to justify them. It follows evidence. In fact, it tries to prove itself wrong. When it can’t, it’s right.
Ricky Gervais

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
Charles Darwin

Against logic ignorance is the best armor.
Anonymous

We'll have real equality and real opportunity when we learn to set aside fantasies of another existence and turn our attention fully to this life and the things of this world, which are the only real or important things. .
Adam Lee

We preach peace, forgiveness, tolerance and love. We practice vengeance, persecution, hatred and domination.
Anonymous

There is not enough love and goodness in the word for us to be permitted to give any of it away to imaginary things.
Friedrich Nietzsche

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.
Delos B. McKown

Salvation is offered, redemption, indeed, is promised at the low price of the surrender of your critical faculties.
Christopher Hitchens

It is not moral to teach children and uneducated and ignorant people nonsense.
Christopher Hitchens

In science, the burden of proof falls upon the claimant; and the more extraordinary a claim, the heavier is the burden of proof demanded. Since the true skeptic does not assert a claim, he has no burden to prove anything. He just goes on using the established theories of "conventional science" as usual.
Marcello Truzzi

Oddly, the fact that we, and all life, have evolved from simpler forms by natural selection disturbs fundamentalists who are completely unfazed by the biblical claim that we come from dirt.
John Allen Paulos

No group's religious doctrine can trump personal freedom and the rule of law in a nation founded on the principle of separation of church and state.
San Francisco Chronicle

There is a vast immeasurable and impassable sea of ignorance between an uninformed opinion based solely on a wish and a prayer and an educated best-guess based on rational theories with plausible mechanisms of action informed by the evidence as presented by our current ability and technology to measure. The former is for children, the latter for adults. Chronological age notwithstanding.
GirlyMan TTA

When you are entangled in the web created by indoctrination and cognitive dissonance it is nearly impossible to objectively question the dogma.
Full Circle TTA

Witchcraft to the ignorant, simple science to the learned.
Leigh Brackett

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
John F. Kennedy

We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.
Confucius

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post