Success!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Success!
Congratulations to me, I have finished planting all of the characters for the HSK level 1 on Memrise! Big Grin

That's 400 Chinese characters, people. I feel awesome, yet still totally inadequate :weeping:

(For anybody who doesn't know, Memrise dot com is an awesome place to learn things, especially languages. In order to learn, you "plant" memories by seeing them for the first time and then "water" your memories when you review them. It's very cool. Thumbsup )

(Also the HSK exams are a pretty good indicator of Chinese language ability, I think there are 6 in all?)

Anyway, feel free to tell me all your best words of congratulations, encouragement and motivation Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
03-01-2014, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 06:49 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
RE: Success!
I ran another 100 English words through my head today with example sentences, example pictures and the words pronounced. I reviewed 140 different words that I had run before in more or less the same way. Then I passed a multiple choice test of selecting the right Chinese meaning of the given word, with all those 240 words included and with an accuracy of over 95%.

Just the ordinary 9th day of my going over the vocabulary.

I've chosen 4 sets, totally 13958 words (duplicates and derivatives not excluded), with the simplest being the GRE set of 2907 words.

So ...

Consider

Congratulations on your finishing of the farm work (planting) with all the HSK level 1 characters !

[Image: thumbsup.gif]

From my experience of once being a elementary school pupil, I know it is hard !

Want something? Then do something.
03-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Congratulations............celebrate celebrate

[Image: 7dcda2aa.gif]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-01-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm kind of a language nerd myself, and I gotta say, I've always enjoyed studying Chinese. It's about the only thing I've ever studied that would keep me up for 6 or 7 hours at night like an addictive video game.

I spent some time studying at Zhejiang University and went with a group of Korean classmates to Shanghai to take the HSK. Some of them were crying when they came out of the test room lol... Many had conditional offers for jobs that were dependent on them achieving a certain level of proficiency based on the HSK. I, on the other hand, was just there out of personal interest so had the advantage of going in a bit more relaxed Smile

My favorite site for Chinese is chinesepod.com. It's not free, though some of the beginner classes are available without a subscription, but I love the layout. They keep releasing new dialogues, including slang and other things you'd be likely to hear in general conversation so it doesn't feel so text bookish, which makes it useful to keep from losing proficiency as well as learning new material.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
(03-01-2014 07:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm kind of a language nerd myself, and I gotta say, I've always enjoyed studying Chinese. It's about the only thing I've ever studied that would keep me up for 6 or 7 hours at night like an addictive video game.

I spent some time studying at Zhejiang University and went with a group of Korean classmates to Shanghai to take the HSK. Some of them were crying when they came out of the test room lol... Many had conditional offers for jobs that were dependent on them achieving a certain level of proficiency based on the HSK. I, on the other hand, was just there out of personal interest so had the advantage of going in a bit more relaxed Smile

My favorite site for Chinese is chinesepod.com. It's not free, though some of the beginner classes are available without a subscription, but I love the layout. They keep releasing new dialogues, including slang and other things you'd be likely to hear in general conversation so it doesn't feel so text bookish, which makes it useful to keep from losing proficiency as well as learning new material.

I'm like that too, it's like an addictive game! I just want to learn MOAR,
Though unlike HU.junyuan, I don't regularly get 95% on my review quizzes D:

The good thing about memrise right now is that I'm learning the characters and the pinyin, so it's more like I've learned 800 items.. The pinyin is definitely useful, it helps me keep my tones right. I do okay with individual words but I tend to botch up the tones in sentences Weeping

More practice!
03-01-2014, 09:08 AM
The tones do make starting out go slowly since it's so different. The thing is, once you train your ear for that and get past it, things really pick up. English, French, Spanish, etc. all have ridiculous grammar rules to learn, exceptions that don't make sense, and verb conjugations that will eventually drive you insane. Chinese has none of that so, once you get past the tones and the grammar basics, it's just a matter of learning new words and flying through it.

Now writing, that's a different story Tongue If you can recognize the characters, however, then learning to type using pinyin input method is fairly easy even if you can't actually pick up a pen and write a single word.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-01-2014, 09:23 AM
(03-01-2014 08:56 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I'm like that too, it's like an addictive game! I just want to learn MOAR,

The good thing about memrise right now is that I'm learning the characters and the pinyin, so it's more like I've learned 800 items.. The pinyin is definitely useful, it helps me keep my tones right. I do okay with individual words but I tend to botch up the tones in sentences Weeping

More practice!

Smart kid (me) says that the key lies in having fun with the using of the language.

Tongue

When you feel like some practice with me, I will be glad and at your service.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
03-01-2014, 09:28 AM
(03-01-2014 09:23 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 08:56 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I'm like that too, it's like an addictive game! I just want to learn MOAR,

More practice!

Smart kid (me) says that the key lies in having fun with the using of the language.

Tongue

When you feel like some practice with me, I will be glad and at your service.

I'll have to work up some courage for that! And also maybe a learn a bit more before I put myself out there Tongue. My coworkers are pretty nice and one teaches me some words sometimes by talking to me like I'm three and miming a lot Big Grin the miming is useful haha
03-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Since you mentioned your co worker conversing as if you are three, my children are also learning a second language by learning children's songs. Might add a bit of fun for you.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Good idea! I'd thought briefly about that before but never really pursued it, I'll have to ask about some now. Smile