Sucker!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Sucker!
That's how I felt when I discovered that the whole Bible was not just a made up story, but a treasure trove of horror. I worked with a guy who was a born again christian turned atheist and he was pretty outspoken in his atheism. He turned me on to a web-site called "The Skeptics Annotated Bible" which after reading I had to go to a christian bookstore and buy a Bible, just to make sure those things were really written there. I thought I had read the Bible, but let's face it, it's not an easy read. I must have petered out in Numbers. I more of the Bible I read and the more I listened to Atheists, the stupider I felt for ever buying into any of that garbage, but we live in a country where "In God We Trust" is everywhere. I just took it for granted that I was headed for Hell because I could never give it up to Jesus. The whole, "you must love me or be thrown in to a burning lake," deal just never sat well with me. It felt too much like extortion.

Now the crazy thing is, I know more about the Bible than most Christians I've met. I have to count myself lucky that I wasn't really into religion in the first place, I think it would have been a much harder transition, but it has opened my eyes to a lot of things. For one thing I'm much more skeptical about things. I find myself on Snopes and other fact checking sites, and listening to a larger variety of news sources, and not just U.S. news. I'm getting better at spotting bologna when I see it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tchr4ibew's post
28-01-2014, 03:44 AM
RE: Sucker!
Besides some geographic locations, a few names and the miniscule grain of truth in a very few stories, the is no truth whatsoever in the bible, particularly not in any of the supernatural mumbo jumbo.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I find it fun to look for these when listening to the news or politicians talking

Your Logical Fallacy is…..

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Don't feel stupid, indoctrination is not your fault. Be proud you finically "saw the light" Big Grin welcome to the forum!!