Sudanese Mother Sentenced to Death for Apostasy and Adultery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Sudanese Mother Sentenced to Death for Apostasy and Adultery
Quote:Ibrahim was sentenced to death May 15 for apostasy and adultery by a Sudanese court. She will be allowed to live and nurse her child, named Maya, for two years before she is put to death. Her 20-month old child Martin is in prison with her, too.

http://time.com/120370/meriam-ibrahim-sudan-christian/

Apparantely this woman was raised Christian outside of the Sudanese state. She married a christian man and gave birth to her second child just this week. The Sudanese court doesn't recognize her marriage to a non-muslim, so she has been convicted of adultery for having sex with her husband. She refused to renounce her christian faith and so she was sentenced to die May 15, 2014. Her execution was stayed for two years so she can give birth and nurse her child. She was also sentenced to a hundred lashes for her adultery, a punishment that can be carried out at any time now that she has given birth.

Reading about this today made me pretty upset. I thought you might all enjoy the opportunity to get angry and cynical about the world with me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
31-05-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: Sudanese Mother Sentenced to Death for Apostasy and Adultery
Sooooooo....did you post this in BM's "atheists are bitter meanie poo-heads" thread....?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-05-2014, 12:21 AM
I can only wonder if the courts also made a ruling as to who would be caring for the children and seeing to their best interests once their mother was done away with. In a system like that, it would be a mercy to put them all down together if you ask me. I'm surprised they made such a grand generosity to let the little ones begin their lives in such a fashion.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-05-2014, 12:49 AM
More tragic than this is the belief held by a great share of the worldwide religious community that this could "never happen here". Actually, that sentiment isn't limited to the religious; the secular comfortable in our suburban enclaves believe the same thing.

"It can't happen here" is a dangerous frame of mind. The tentacles of despotism are never thick at their tips, they are fine as angel hair, weaving themselves imperceptibly by ordinance and statute into straitjackets never recognized - except by those outside, who pat themselves on the back and say "it can't happen here"!

But while the religious and irreligious are equally cavalier about such horrors "never happening here", it is the religious who are more likely to embrace the encroaching tentacles, for religion is at heart primitive, still in thrall to all the obsolete instruments of tribalism: bigotry, exclusion, narrow self-centeredness and, worst of all, the unflagging and absolute certainty in its own righteousness.

It damn well can happen here, suddenly and horribly, brought on by those whose beliefs are beyond challenge, and so weren't challenged.
31-05-2014, 01:10 AM
For completeness... link to an earlier thread on the same subject.

31-05-2014, 03:06 AM
:'(.......................

There is really nothing to say. They are also murdering gays in the Sudan.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
31-05-2014, 03:07 AM
FUCK!!!!!!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-06-2014, 02:26 AM
As a follow on from this story Dr Meriam Yahya Ibrahim is in the US embassy and hopefully will get out of the country soon.

However another story seems to be less prominent of Mubarak Bala a Nigerian declared insane for NOT BELIEVING in god and renouncing islam. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28010234

The issue as to why psychiatry this century, in the western world does not have a DSM or ICD diagnosis relating to the delusion, even if widely held about a man in the sky etc confirms that these diagnosis are social constructs rather than real illness like diabetes. I would hold judgement from the psychiatrists in Nigeria who may be more enlightened and playing along to save this mans life.
[+] 2 users Like P_Woodcraft's post
27-06-2014, 05:17 AM
Again, for completeness.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post