Suffer the Little Children... For $20 Million?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Suffer the Little Children... For $20 Million?
Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of reading this article in today's Melbourne AGE newspaper:

Church Spends More to Restore Church Than Compensate Victims of Paedophile Priests

" A Bayside church linked to historical clerical abuse and destroyed by an arsonist last year will be rebuilt at an estimated cost of $20 million—almost double the total compensation paid by the Archdiocese of Melbourne to 326 victims of paedophile priests.

The decision to restore St James Church in Gardenvale [SE Melbourne suburb] to its former glory has incensed victims of Father Ronald Pickering, who preyed on more than a dozen boys while he served at the church from 1978 to 1993 before fleeing to Britain. "

The victims each received between $36K and $50K (capped) originally assigned as "hush money" before the public became aware of Pickerings paedophile activities (in March, 2002). At the time, they had to sign legally binding confidentiality agreements not to disclose the payments themselves, or the amount to any other individual.

Eventually Pickering fled from Australia, evading justice. Pickering had heard, through church sources, that one of his victims was on the warpath, which is why he fled to England in May 1993. The Melbourne archdiocese knew Pickering's forwarding address in England (care of one of Pickering's sisters, living in Margate, Kent) and, unbelievably, they began providing him with his retirement benefits. However, the archdiocese did not give Pickering's new UK address to the Australian police, despite being fully aware of his criminal activities.

One of Pickering's victims known as "Mike" said that: "Certain prominent Catholic clerics were relieved to see Pickering escape from Australia—because of what he knew about them. And Pickering's escape meant that there would not be a messy criminal court case with the church being embarrassed by yet another Catholic priest going to jail for his crimes. Negligently, the church did not bother to inform Pickering's former parishioners why he had fled. It did not bother to find out how many families had been affected. This cover-up prolonged the suffering of Pickering's victims and their families."

—I'd be interested in seeing if any of the theists posting here would care to propose any mitigating circumstances or mount a moral or ethical defense of Pickering's reprehensible activities, or suggest why senior members of the Melbourne Catholic archdiocese continued to support Pickering both in his expatriation and financially, whilst being fully aware of his crimes. Although I won't be holding my breath. It's impossible to defend the indefensible.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
24-03-2016, 12:16 PM
RE: Suffer the Little Children... For $20 Million?
(24-03-2016 09:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of reading this article in today's Melbourne AGE newspaper:

Church Spends More to Restore Church Than Compensate Victims of Paedophile Priests

" A Bayside church linked to historical clerical abuse and destroyed by an arsonist last year will be rebuilt at an estimated cost of $20 million—almost double the total compensation paid by the Archdiocese of Melbourne to 326 victims of paedophile priests.

The decision to restore St James Church in Gardenvale [SE Melbourne suburb] to its former glory has incensed victims of Father Ronald Pickering, who preyed on more than a dozen boys while he served at the church from 1978 to 1993 before fleeing to Britain. "

The victims each received between $36K and $50K (capped) originally assigned as "hush money" before the public became aware of Pickerings paedophile activities (in March, 2002). At the time, they had to sign legally binding confidentiality agreements not to disclose the payments themselves, or the amount to any other individual.

Eventually Pickering fled from Australia, evading justice. Pickering had heard, through church sources, that one of his victims was on the warpath, which is why he fled to England in May 1993. The Melbourne archdiocese knew Pickering's forwarding address in England (care of one of Pickering's sisters, living in Margate, Kent) and, unbelievably, they began providing him with his retirement benefits. However, the archdiocese did not give Pickering's new UK address to the Australian police, despite being fully aware of his criminal activities.

One of Pickering's victims known as "Mike" said that: "Certain prominent Catholic clerics were relieved to see Pickering escape from Australia—because of what he knew about them. And Pickering's escape meant that there would not be a messy criminal court case with the church being embarrassed by yet another Catholic priest going to jail for his crimes. Negligently, the church did not bother to inform Pickering's former parishioners why he had fled. It did not bother to find out how many families had been affected. This cover-up prolonged the suffering of Pickering's victims and their families."

—I'd be interested in seeing if any of the theists posting here would care to propose any mitigating circumstances or mount a moral or ethical defense of Pickering's reprehensible activities, or suggest why senior members of the Melbourne Catholic archdiocese continued to support Pickering both in his expatriation and financially, whilst being fully aware of his crimes. Although I won't be holding my breath. It's impossible to defend the indefensible.

It would be an impressive message if someone were to burn down the reconstructed church when is is finished. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-04-2016, 07:44 AM
It always amuses me whenever a church burns down. The people who declare their faith and trust in their sky daddy by building a $20 million dollar temple in his honour never seem to question why he doesn't stop some arsonist from destroying it. Isn't he supposed to be omnipotent?

The least he could do is to create a massive localised rainstorm to snuff the fire out. Just like he created another one 2,000 years ago LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-04-2016, 09:36 AM
In on church burning.