Sugar Coating Death For Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2013, 10:59 AM
RE: Sugar Coating Death For Children
Seems to me that the primary purpose of most religion is to sugarcoat death for adults. Seems only natural that people would want to do the same for children.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
02-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Children are underestimated because they are the equation of innocence, kindness, purity, newness, etc.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
One of the "mysteries of tao" is the need to manufacture dualities. Body/mind duality is scientifically untenable, but sugar-coating enough for this communication.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2013, 12:39 PM
(02-09-2013 10:59 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Seems to me that the primary purpose of most religion is to sugarcoat death for adults. Seems only natural that people would want to do the same for children.

Think that's right. The flaw in that line of reasoning I think is that children instinctively appreciate the ephemeral. Adults have to work at it. ... At least I do.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-09-2013, 09:01 AM
(31-08-2013 03:04 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  I've never understood it.

I Don't see why these countless advice columns all say the same thing; "Young children have a hard time understanding death, they may not fully comprehend the fact that this person is not coming back, try to explain it to them gently."

Or why people tell children that *loved one* has "gone away for a while", or, "Is with God now."

From what I remember, since I was about three, I had a fully formed concept of death, when a person dies they're gone, and they aren't coming back.

I Also seem to remember most other little kids I knew being similarly realistic about the subject.

This, among other things, pisses me off, Children are a lot smarter and can handle a lot more than people give them credit for.
Totally agree.Thumbsup
03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
There's an obvious simple solution you know...
Don't have fucking kids...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
(03-09-2013 10:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There's an obvious simple solution you know...

Or you could raise your kids to be strong, understanding and independent, and not frightened little losers. Smile
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Children need honest answers, this is absolutely true. But with a child you do need to find the balance between educating and taking a new (and lets face it, a potentially scary) new concept with some tact and care.
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
(03-09-2013 11:00 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(03-09-2013 10:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There's an obvious simple solution you know...

Or you could raise your kids to be strong, understanding and independent, and not frightened little losers. Smile

OR you could not have kids to begin with...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Growing up in a Catholic town we were herded through viewings all the time. It was seen as good business. S, we kids were forced to walk through the funeral home, gaze upon dead bodies, and then offer our condolences even though we had no freaking idea who the dead person was. Any time a relative of one of dad's clients took their last breath, we were dressed up and paraded through to be seen. GADS...I hate wakes.

We only were forced to go to the funerals of people who were much closer. A Catholic funeral is way creepy. Not to mention as a kid having to sing funeral masses...good lord god...way to warp a kid forever.

I think the truth (to whatever level a child can understand given their age and development) is a lot better than telling them they will see that person one day in Heaven. That creates people who hang onto that false belief...the belief of being reunited.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy