Suggest an Atheist Book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2011, 12:04 PM
RE: Suggest an Atheist Book
God is not great by Christopher Hitchens. And of course the God Deluison is obligatory.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2011, 08:02 PM
(15-02-2011 09:16 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  One of the best Freethinker books of the 19th century:
"Some Mistakes of Moses" by Robert G. Ingersoll
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/ingermm1.htm

Thank you for this link! This has been a wonderful read so far ^.^

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2011, 01:28 PM
It really isn't an atheist book, but it is a very interesting take on Christianity, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" by Bishop (Yes, a Bishop) John Shelby Spong. It's a good book for people who are still working their way out of Christianity and are looking for a few smaller steps between theism and atheism.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2011, 06:54 PM

(28-02-2011 01:28 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  It really isn't an atheist book, but it is a very interesting take on Christianity, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" by Bishop (Yes, a Bishop) John Shelby Spong. It's a good book for people who are still working their way out of Christianity and are looking for a few smaller steps between theism and atheism.

I have that book on hold at the library, it looks like an interesting read. I have read the first chapter (free on kindle) but it was mostly an introduction.
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2011, 07:24 PM
(28-02-2011 06:54 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  
(28-02-2011 01:28 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  It really isn't an atheist book, but it is a very interesting take on Christianity, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" by Bishop (Yes, a Bishop) John Shelby Spong. It's a good book for people who are still working their way out of Christianity and are looking for a few smaller steps between theism and atheism.

I have that book on hold at the library, it looks like an interesting read. I have read the first chapter (free on kindle) but it was mostly an introduction.

If you're looking for some other things, he does have some lectures on youtube that are worth checking out (If you have an hour or so to spare).

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

28-02-2011, 07:29 PM

(28-02-2011 07:24 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(28-02-2011 06:54 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  

If you're looking for some other things, he does have some lectures on youtube that are worth checking out (If you have an hour or so to spare).

Maybe I will look into them. Originally I heard him on CBC radio (talking about his book) and he has an interesting view of "God".
02-03-2011, 12:36 AM

Currently re-reading and further analyzing Christopher Hitchens's book "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything"

Usually when I recommend an Atheist themed book I recommend a general author who produces decent works. For example Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, or Dennet.
02-03-2011, 08:49 AM
(02-03-2011 12:36 AM)Diclonius Wrote:  Currently re-reading and further analyzing Christopher Hitchens's book "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything"

Usually when I recommend an Atheist themed book I recommend a general author who produces decent works. For example Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, or Dennet.

Reading "God Delusion Now". Very good.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
09-03-2011, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2011 04:44 PM by 13mentaculus.)
I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but I found Hitchens and Dawkins difficult to read. I really never felt myself intellectually grasping what they were trying to communicate, and I had to use dictionary.com quite frequently.

Here are my suggestions:
Atheist Universe by David Mills
Godless by Dan Barker
The Quotable Atheist by Jack Huberman (just quotes, obviously)
09-03-2011, 12:59 AM
(09-03-2011 12:16 AM)13mentaculus Wrote:  I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but I found Hitchens and Dawkins difficult to read. I really never felt myself intellectually grasping what they were trying to communicate, I had to use dictionary.com quite frequently.

Here are my suggestions:
Atheist Universe by David Mills
Godless by Dan Barker
The Quotable Atheist by Jack Huberman (just quotes, obviously)

I felt the same way reading Dawkins. I don't like biology, so his talk on evolution tend to go over my head a bit. But that's a good way to learn new things.