Suggest an Atheist Book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
RE: Suggest an Atheist Book
(09-03-2011 12:59 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  I felt the same way reading Dawkins. I don't like biology, so his talk on evolution tend to go over my head a bit. But that's a good way to learn new things.

I'm reading Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne, and it's easier to grasp than Dawkins so far. I'm also taking notes as I go, so that could be helping too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
(09-03-2011 12:59 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(09-03-2011 12:16 AM)13mentaculus Wrote:  I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but I found Hitchens and Dawkins difficult to read. I really never felt myself intellectually grasping what they were trying to communicate, I had to use dictionary.com quite frequently.

Here are my suggestions:
Atheist Universe by David Mills
Godless by Dan Barker
The Quotable Atheist by Jack Huberman (just quotes, obviously)

I felt the same way reading Dawkins. I don't like biology, so his talk on evolution tend to go over my head a bit. But that's a good way to learn new things.

I too feel the same way about Dawkins. His chapters on biology and evolution are a bit over my head. I liked his chapters on the atrocities of the bible.

What is funny, is a lot of those chapters about Lot, Genesis, Abraham, were stories the minister of the church I go to (for social reasons) likes to tell as why love of God is great

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
11-03-2011, 06:01 PM

a personal favorite is "The Greatest Show On Earth", by Richard Dawkins. It's a bit deep, but the interesting thing is that it is a science book.

I bring it up because it highlights and explains evolution and explains WHY it works. While not an Atheist book per se, I do reference it frequently in arguments with creationists. It has become a go-to book for me.
(09-03-2011 12:16 AM)13mentaculus Wrote:  I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but I found Hitchens and Dawkins difficult to read. I really never felt myself intellectually grasping what they were trying to communicate, and I had to use dictionary.com quite frequently.

NEVER be embarrassed to admit you are out of your depth, emotionally, intellectually or in any other manner. Greater understanding and knowledge only come when we set aside our egos and admit that we are struggling with a concept or idea.

If you don't know, then you don't know, and that's never anything to be embarrassed about, because it means you are TRYING to find out, and that's what life is all about.
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2011, 09:19 AM

The God Virus - by Darrel Ray
50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a god - by Guy P. Harrison
God's Problem - by Bart D Ehrman
14-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok. I finished The God Delusion. Very good, enjoyed the logical dissemination against religion than the parts on biology. Enjoyed the parts that discussed the wonder we can still have, imagining the world, having a sense of wonder. In that sense I guess I have Pan-Theistic tendencies.

Reading "God is not Great" now.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
15-03-2011, 01:11 PM
For anyone who finds Hitchens or Dawkins too intellectual, I strongly suggest watching the YouTube videos in which Sam Harris explains his viewpoints and debates theists. His speaking style is very direct and easy to understand, he is a master at making complex arguments easy to follow for the non-scientist/historian/philospher. Harris has his own page which provides links to the videos and his books.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
15-03-2011, 05:30 PM

(14-03-2011 02:21 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Ok. I finished The God Delusion. Very good, enjoyed the logical dissemination against religion than the parts on biology. Enjoyed the parts that discussed the wonder we can still have, imagining the world, having a sense of wonder. In that sense I guess I have Pan-Theistic tendencies.

Reading "God is not Great" now.

God is not Great is one of my favorites.
15-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Greatest show on earth is increeeedible. I'm halfway through it now.

This book alone has taught me more about evolution than all my years in high school. I admit, It's a bit above my intellectual level, so I tend to reread quite a bit. That's why I love it though, I see myself learning.
15-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Atheism: The Case Against God is easily the best book I've read on the subject. Very easy to read and full of great arguments you don't hear from Dawkins and others.

http://www.amazon.com/Atheism-Case-Again...546&sr=8-1
Find all posts by this user
16-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Not an "atheist" book by any stretch, but when I was questioning my old theistic ways I read John Dominic Crossan's The Birth of Christianity

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Birth...Books_2153

I found it incredible that Crossan still considers himself a "Christian" after his exhaustive research clearly shows that the historical Jesus and the Jesus of the Bible are clearly not the same. It is the equivalent of building the legend of Johnny Appleseed or Paul Bunyan. It's a fantastic book, but can also be a labor of love to get through.

Another great book to better understand the creation of the Christian myth is Burton Mack's Who Wrote the New Testament

http://www.2think.org/mack.shtml

For what it's worth, I finally got around to reading Dawkins' The God Delusion, Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation, and Hitchen's God is Not Great in the last couple months.

All are good reads. Really enjoyed Dawkins and found his writing very accessible. Hitchens' prose is a little more difficult, but structurally, it's the same message - I should have put time in between reading the two books so it wouldn't have felt so repetitive...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]