Suggest the Best Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 11:02 PM
RE: Suggest the Best Books
(11-02-2014 10:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 07:02 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Did Hitchens ever do any Audio books, I find little spare time for reading, podcasts and audible in the car is where its at for me now.

Yes, I have God is Not Great, and he reads it.

Oh, shit, im sure I searched for that 6 months ago and it was not there :
http://www.audible.com/pd/Nonfiction/God...144&sr=1-1

awesome, Hitchens has an afterlife after all

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
11-02-2014, 11:54 PM
If you want a good 1-2 punch against Christianity, read these two books.

The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails

The End of Christianity

Both of these works are anthologies, with each chapter written by a different professional, and both volumes are edited by John W. Loftus. They include contributions from Hector Avalos, Richard Carrier, Robert M. Price, David Eller, Valerie Tarico, Matt McCormick, Jason Long, Edward T. Babinski, Paul Tobin, and John W. Loftus himself.

These are written more for the college level, so they're not as accessible as the layman oriented works by Dawkins and Hitchens; but they sit on a far stronger foundation because of it. Each chapter ends in a few pages worth of citations and notes, so it's all very well documented and cited.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2014, 10:55 AM
(11-02-2014 10:30 PM)khushko Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 08:36 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Too broad. Please refine your criteria. What's your goal in asking the question? That might help generate appropriate answers.

Doc

Right..
I have studied the Religion and a little about Philosophy and became Agnostic.. But, the problem is, when I argue with Fundamentalists, I lack 'Proofs' to prove that "There is No God..!!"
Genuinely, I'm SCIENTIFICALLY ILLITERATE .. Undecided

Stop right there. This line of thinking will make you just as bad as a fundamentalist Christian. You have to be comfortable and confident in NOT knowing everything, and not having all of the answers. That is the true intellectual honesty of an atheist.

The truth is, there probably never will be "proof there is no god", so we have to be humble and realize that we have to open up our mind, even it's just a tiny bit to the possibility, but realize the evidence against the religious world view is strong, even if it cannot fully disprove the existence of a deity.

Remember, the burden of proof is with the person making the claim, not the skeptic. If I tell you there is an invisible magic unicorn in my room that poops out skittles whenever I feel like having some, it is not up to you, the skeptic to prove to me it's not there, it is up to me to prove to you it is.
[+] 4 users Like mrlmichael's post
12-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Other than those previously mentioned:

Why I Became an Atheist, by John Loftus
Deconverted, by Seth Andrews
The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins
Godless, by Dan Barker
Jesus Interrupted; Misquoting Jesus; and Forged, by Bart Ehrman
Atheist Universe, By David Mills
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
12-02-2014, 12:42 PM
(11-02-2014 01:45 PM)donotwant Wrote:  No matter what you are looking for the Demon Haunted World is a must.
Seconded. Carl Sagan's book is capable of significantly improving how you think.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
12-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Here's my personal eBook library on the subject:
  1. A Manual for Creating Atheists - Peter Boghossian
  2. Atheism: A Very Short Intro - Julian Baggini
  3. Atheism: The Case Against God - George H. Smith
  4. Atheist Universe - David Mills
  5. Breaking The Spell - Daniel C. Dennett
  6. God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens
  7. Letters to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
  8. Mortality - Christopher Hitchens
  9. The End of Faith - Sam Harris
  10. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  11. The Secular Bible - Jacques Berlinerblau
  12. Why I am Not a Christian - Bertrand Russell

It's by no means perfect, but it's a start. Personally I've only gotten around to reading about two of them. Though, I also have another list I'm putting together of books I want to get (in no particular order):

Michael Shermer "How We Believe: A Search for God in an Age of Science"
Jerry Coyne "Why Evolution Is True"
John W. Loftus "Why I Became An Atheist" and "The Outsider Test for Faith"
Victor Stenger "God: The Failed Hypothesis" and "God and the Atom"
Richard Carrier "Sense and Goodness Without God"
Steven Brutus "Religion, Culture, History"
Guy P. Harrison "50 Simple Questions for Every Christian" and "Race and Reality"
Al Stefanelli "A Voice of Reason in an Unreasonable World"
Darrell Ray "The God Virus" and "Sex and God"
Jake Far-Wharton "Letters to Christian Leaders" and "Hollow Be Thy Claims"
Kevin Boileau "Essays on Phenomenology and the Self"
Russell Blackford "Freedom of Religion and the Secular State" and "50 Great Myths About Atheism"
Sam Harris "The End of Faith"
Stephen Law "Believing Bullshit"
Michael Shermer "The Believing Brain"
Victor Stenger "God and the Folly of Faith"
Lawrence Right "Going Clear"
Peter Boghossian "Jesus, the Easter Bunny and Other Delusions: Just Say No!" and "Faith: Pretending to Know Things You Don't Know"
James A. Lindsay "Defining Faith via Bayesian Reasoning"
(Apologies for the disorder, these are directly copied from my personal notes and I'm too lazy to organize them like I did above)

The listed books above you can get an online copy for free (if you prefer), though I haven't searched the unorganized list yet (hence why it's unorganized).

Though I'm sure any book by the famed "Four Horseman" will be a good read (Christoper Hitchens, Dan Bennett, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris) if you can't decide.

Best of luck, you can pm me questions about "obtaining" these books if you'd like.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
17-02-2014, 03:31 AM
(11-02-2014 11:54 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If you want a good 1-2 punch against Christianity, read these two books.

The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails

The End of Christianity

Both of these works are anthologies, with each chapter written by a different professional, and both volumes are edited by John W. Loftus. They include contributions from Hector Avalos, Richard Carrier, Robert M. Price, David Eller, Valerie Tarico, Matt McCormick, Jason Long, Edward T. Babinski, Paul Tobin, and John W. Loftus himself.

These are written more for the college level, so they're not as accessible as the layman oriented works by Dawkins and Hitchens; but they sit on a far stronger foundation because of it. Each chapter ends in a few pages worth of citations and notes, so it's all very well documented and cited.

Worse, I'm Muslim .... Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2014, 03:39 AM
(12-02-2014 10:55 AM)mrlmichael Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 10:30 PM)khushko Wrote:  Right..
I have studied the Religion and a little about Philosophy and became Agnostic.. But, the problem is, when I argue with Fundamentalists, I lack 'Proofs' to prove that "There is No God..!!"
Genuinely, I'm SCIENTIFICALLY ILLITERATE .. Undecided

Stop right there. This line of thinking will make you just as bad as a fundamentalist Christian. You have to be comfortable and confident in NOT knowing everything, and not having all of the answers. That is the true intellectual honesty of an atheist.

The truth is, there probably never will be "proof there is no god", so we have to be humble and realize that we have to open up our mind, even it's just a tiny bit to the possibility, but realize the evidence against the religious world view is strong, even if it cannot fully disprove the existence of a deity.

Remember, the burden of proof is with the person making the claim, not the skeptic. If I tell you there is an invisible magic unicorn in my room that poops out skittles whenever I feel like having some, it is not up to you, the skeptic to prove to me it's not there, it is up to me to prove to you it is.

Aaah, Right.. Got it Now! Thanks Pal! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user