Suggestion.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-02-2017, 06:22 AM
RE: Suggestion.
That would make it totally useless - nothing will ever be found again, and if you are discussing Trump you NEED to reach back to previously said things all the time.

Why muzzle free speech? It takes 5 minutes to install a private sub forum everyone can choose to go to but no one has to see.

I am against muzzling free speech, especially when this idiot may well muzzle actual free speech in the US.

We allow all kinds of nuts to sound off about anything at all, but we muzzle free speech when it concerns a possible real danger to a large part of the membership? For what?

The solution to make everyone happy is so simple and costs nothing and takes 5 minutes. It's not like there has to be approval to enter like with the adult section or anything. No trouble at all.

Everyone will be able to discuss the topic to their heart's content, and no one will have to see it unless they want to.

A private sub forum is a win-win.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-02-2017, 11:20 AM
(01-02-2017 06:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  That would make it totally useless - nothing will ever be found again, and if you are discussing Trump you NEED to reach back to previously said things all the time.

Why muzzle free speech? It takes 5 minutes to install a private sub forum everyone can choose to go to but no one has to see.

I am against muzzling free speech, especially when this idiot may well muzzle actual free speech in the US.

We allow all kinds of nuts to sound off about anything at all, but we muzzle free speech when it concerns a possible real danger to a large part of the membership? For what?

The solution to make everyone happy is so simple and costs nothing and takes 5 minutes. It's not like there has to be approval to enter like with the adult section or anything. No trouble at all.

Everyone will be able to discuss the topic to their heart's content, and no one will have to see it unless they want to.

No it's not a win win. This forum will be around (hopefully) longer than he will be potus. it will cause more headaches than it's worth. Also if a new person does make a trump thread...they have to be moved into the other group. That creates more work than it's worth. And if everyone is granted auto access to the "private" area then it's really accomplishing nothing. Some not in that group might occasionally want to chime in on something...

All I'm saying is not everything he does requires a new thread.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-02-2017, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2017 11:33 AM by Full Circle.)
If a person goes to the main page of The Thinking Atheist Forum they can choose to click on any thread BUT the Politics one but that is a pain in the ass since you have to go back and click each one.

What would be REALLY helpful is to be able to go to each thread you want to see the new posts on and click on all of those and not see the ones you don’t, kinda like a reverse ignore button but for thread topics. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I personally dislike the idea. I don't want to have to search through pages and pages of a thread to keep up with what he's done lately, or to comment on something that's being discussed. I tend to steer clear of the larger threads except for a few posts at a time, because it's impossible to keep up unless you're very active.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
01-02-2017, 11:33 AM
(01-02-2017 11:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  What would be REALLY helpful is to be able to go to each thread you want to see the new posts on and click on all of those and not see the ones you don’t, kinda like an ignore button for thread topics. Consider

I wish we could ignore threads, that's just not possible with the forum software.

01-02-2017, 11:36 AM
You go here...

click on what would be a new button along the left hand side for “see threads” and leave out the ones you don’t care to follow.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-02-2017, 11:50 AM
(01-02-2017 11:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  You go here...

click on what would be a new button along the left hand side for “see threads” and leave out the ones you don’t care to follow.

Ooh I see what you mean....

That kinda works but not really. As as someone posts or comments it goes back.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-02-2017, 12:14 PM
I think the problem of too many Trump threads may solve itself.

Under Trump life's going to go on as normal, only suckier, or the US will continue to accelerate away from democracy. If it's the first scenario, the number of new Trump threads will die down on its own in a month or two. If it's the second scenario, the new Trump threads will decrease as people like me lose internet access/get disappeared. Win/win?
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
01-02-2017, 12:21 PM
(01-02-2017 12:14 PM)julep Wrote:  I think the problem of too many Trump threads may solve itself.

Under Trump life's going to go on as normal, only suckier, or the US will continue to accelerate away from democracy. If it's the first scenario, the number of new Trump threads will die down on its own in a month or two. If it's the second scenario, the new Trump threads will decrease as people like me lose internet access/get disappeared. Win/win?

dystopian future for the win.

Weeping

I'm just going to hope that things naturally settle down. Smile

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-02-2017, 12:33 PM
(01-02-2017 11:20 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 06:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  That would make it totally useless - nothing will ever be found again, and if you are discussing Trump you NEED to reach back to previously said things all the time.

Also if a new person does make a trump thread...they have to be moved into the other group.

There are ways to manage visibility that don't include groups. It should be possible to make threads in that subforum only visible to people who click on the subforum, anyone who clicks on it. But they won't show under any other selection.

Maybe this software doesn't have the ability to do this, I haven't seen the backend. But the two types I am familiar with make this quite easy to do, so I assume this one has it too?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post