Suggestion: Let us see if people have quoted us in threads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Suggestion: Let us see if people have quoted us in threads
Unless I am confused, there is no way to tell if someone has replied to a post you made in a thread, without having to look at the thread again and seeing for yourself.

It would be good if there was something to tell you if someone quoted you in reply to your posts, so you could read what they have said and reply back.

Otherwise you can be unaware someone quoted you and so don't see what they said to you and they might miss out on a reply back, or an answer to their question.

Just a thought Smile

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post
09-04-2013, 04:45 AM
RE: Suggestion: Let us see if people have quoted us in threads
Indeed. In a Chinese forum, there's this function called "notice". "Notice" is a log list if somebody quote and relies to my previous posts. I can click on these log entries to go to those replies directly. Also when somebody posted something while using "@HU.Junyuan" this message is also on this "notice" list.

It should be cool.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
09-04-2013, 04:55 AM
(09-04-2013 04:36 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Unless I am confused, there is no way to tell if someone has replied to a post you made in a thread, without having to look at the thread again and seeing for yourself.

It would be good if there was something to tell you if someone quoted you in reply to your posts, so you could read what they have said and reply back.

Otherwise you can be unaware someone quoted you and so don't see what they said to you and they might miss out on a reply back, or an answer to their question.

Just a thought Smile

You can 'Subscribe' to a thread and get notifications.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-04-2013, 10:28 AM
(09-04-2013 04:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 04:36 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Unless I am confused, there is no way to tell if someone has replied to a post you made in a thread, without having to look at the thread again and seeing for yourself.

Just a thought Smile

You can 'Subscribe' to a thread and get notifications.

What I wuz gonna say, right there, only with more snark.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
(09-04-2013 04:36 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  there is no way to tell if someone has replied to a post you made in a thread, without having to look at the thread again and seeing for yourself.

(09-04-2013 04:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  You can 'Subscribe' to a thread and get notifications.

(09-04-2013 10:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What I wuz gonna say, right there, only with more snark.

Only, this isn't exactly what the OP asked for, is it? But snark is easier, eh, HoC and Chas? And we all know how much you, Johnny, love it when you post in the suggestion forum and people don't take it seriously. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
(09-04-2013 10:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 04:36 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  there is no way to tell if someone has replied to a post you made in a thread, without having to look at the thread again and seeing for yourself.

(09-04-2013 04:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  You can 'Subscribe' to a thread and get notifications.

(09-04-2013 10:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What I wuz gonna say, right there, only with more snark.

Only, this isn't exactly what the OP asked for, is it? But snark is easier, eh, HoC and Chas? And we all know how much you, Johnny, love it when you post in the suggestion forum and people don't take it seriously. Drinking Beverage

What the OP asked for, O Queen of Thorniness, is duplication of labor on the part of the maintenance crew. Tongue

09-04-2013, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 11:12 AM by Vera.)
(09-04-2013 10:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What the OP asked for, O Queen of Thorniness, is duplication of labor on the part of the maintenance crew. Tongue

[Image: h963ACE92]

EDIT: Oops, my reading problems seem to have come back. I blame it on having wasted three hours researching lithium isotopes for a bloody romance novel. Still, you could have just told him it wasn't viable, not give him an answer that wasn't an answer.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
What about when a person mentions you and you've never stepped foot in that thread, how is one to ever know? What about then, huh? Or if you accidentally miss a whole page and a hot and tantalizing conversation happened all about you in that one page. What about then? huh? huh?
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
09-04-2013, 11:09 AM
(09-04-2013 11:01 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  What about when a person mentions you and you've never stepped foot in that thread, how is one to ever know? What about then, huh? Or if you accidentally miss a whole page and a hot and tantalizing conversation happened all about you in that one page. What about then? huh? huh?

The software required would be a staggering amount of work and compute resources.

For instance, if I use the phrase 'ad hoc' in a post, the sw has to figure out that I'm not talking about 'HoC/hoc/HOC' (our very own House of Cantor). Or if I use 'Cantor', am I referring to Cantor the mathematician or to HoC? And does 'John' refer to the apostle or to our very own prophet John Cantor? Or if I talk about going to the John, am I going to visit HoC or reading the Book of John?

And so on.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
And! Some of us are not so self-absorbed as to require knowledge of each instance of being named. Tongue