RE: Suggestion for new subforum
How about Under the Bridge?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I must admit, I sometimes poke them with a sharp stick for fun but I did whinge about them a while ago. When I did, on the whole, people thought they were a good thing for the forum. ... That was pre Drich and Ming days though. Now it's much worse. For my part, I'm fucking sick of them. I agree with free speach but with that in mind, this is an atheist forum. I came here to speak to like minded people. If I wanted to listen to annoying cunts preach I'd have joined a religious forum. I think when they come with the sole intent of proselytising, they should just be banned. It's cool if they come to talk AND listen but when it's one way traffic, they should fuck off.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
13-03-2014, 09:17 PM
(13-03-2014 08:42 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why don't we just fucking ban them?

Because if we banned everyone who was accused of being a troll at some point or other the forum would be down to just aurora, LJ, and MSBB.

Don't be absurd. Drinking Beverage

No one is suggesting anything of the kind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-03-2014, 09:22 PM
(13-03-2014 08:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How about Under the Bridge?

How about banned? If someone has already been identified as a troll to be consigned to that section, then forget that section and just fucking ban them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-03-2014, 09:23 PM
(13-03-2014 09:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  

How about banned? If someone has already been identified as a troll to be consigned to that section, then forget that section and just fucking ban them.

I with Chas on this one. It seems an added unnecessary step.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post

I'm with the old boy here Drinking Beverage

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post

You and I both know that isn't going to happen. Rora, LJ and Moms would be so lonely. Girl_nails

13-03-2014, 09:25 PM
(13-03-2014 09:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 09:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  How about banned? If someone has already been identified as a troll to be consigned to that section, then forget that section and just fucking ban them.

You and I both know that isn't going to happen. Rora, LJ and Moms would be so lonely. Girl_nails

Yeah, they'd keep a few of us as pets Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
13-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I know this isn't really a feasible option, well maybe it is but I don't see exactly how, but there needs to be some sort of litmus test for potential "trolls".

Most of the problem users have no real intriguing dialogue here. If they make threads, those threads derail wildly by the second or third page at least. If they post their inane shit in other threads, at least two to three pages of wild derailment happens after.

There needs to be a way of assessing how much disorder rather than actual discussion is being created by these users. Unfortunately I know reactions to such users will always be a bit subjective, and the rules as they stand now aren't narrow enough to be able to throw a banhammer around on such terms.

But I'd agree that these guys throw so much shit around (and we like to throw it back) that the place could use some cleaning up, however it has to happen.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
13-03-2014, 10:10 PM
I see the biggest issue as being the ones who show up and start a bunch of threads that clog up the main page so that you have to dig to find a thread you are interested in. For some reason, this behavior seems to go pretty much unchecked. Miss Me is a great example of that...I&I Syndrome, as it were.

On the occasions when I am using my phone or Kindle, it's a real pain to open the site and just see crap threads. Right up there on the annoying meter is a dozen posts in a row by one user of multi-quotes that fill up the whole screen and then some.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post