Suggestion for new subforum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 10:22 PM
RE: Suggestion for new subforum
I didn't fucking come here for freedom of speech. I came here to find my way. And this forum was exactly what I needed. You guys helped me pick myself up when I was at the lowest point of my life. You helped me accept that not believing didnt make me a bad person. And you helped me find the awesome person that I really am. The longer I stay here the more that person leaks out into my real life. I owe my happiness to this forum and it really pisses me off when I get on and all I can see are posts from stupid asshole who are intentionally trying to be douches. I don't dislike theists but Miss Meng is unacceptable.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
13-03-2014, 10:34 PM
My only issue is that we accidentally identify the wrong people as "trols" (shimmyjimmy comes to mind) and scare them off their path. Or set them back. People teetering between belief and disbelief

Some people are a little awkward in the beginning.

Just like I don't greet every theist who comes here with a "shoo fly" I wait to see what their intent is first.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2014, 10:46 PM
(13-03-2014 10:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My only issue is that we accidentally identify the wrong people as "trols" (shimmyjimmy comes to mind) and scare them off their path. Or set them back. People teetering between belief and disbelief

Just like I don't greet every theist who comes here with a "shoo fly" I wait to see what their intent is first.

I believe Meng has made her purpose quite clear. I'm not saying auto ban, but I am saying we need to draw a line somewhere. Preferably closer than wherever in BFE the current line must be drawn.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
13-03-2014, 10:53 PM
(13-03-2014 10:46 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 10:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My only issue is that we accidentally identify the wrong people as "trols" (shimmyjimmy comes to mind) and scare them off their path. Or set them back. People teetering between belief and disbelief

I believe Meng has made her purpose quite clear. I'm not saying auto ban, but I am saying we need to draw a line somewhere. Preferably closer than wherever in BFE the current line must be drawn.

I'm not counting that one. If they do return they will be dealt with. That situation is very unusual.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2014, 11:18 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake, Moms.

No one is suggesting, or has suggested, banning anyone who isn't clearly a problem.

We need an admin who can see the distinction clearly. One who is actually present and knows what's going on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 11:28 PM
(13-03-2014 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Why don't we just throw them in the pit?

Why don't we just fucking ban them?

I agree - just ban them.
If you set up a "troll ghetto", something like AFA's Fantasy Island, it becomes an embarrassment for the forum when all the really active discussion threads occur in, rather than outside that forum.
13-03-2014, 11:30 PM
(13-03-2014 11:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Oh, for fuck's sake, Moms.

No one is suggesting, or has suggested, banning anyone who isn't clearly a problem.

We need an admin who can see the distinction clearly. One who is actually present and knows what's going on.

Chas please show where I said "ban". People were talking about sticking people identified as trolls into a subforum. I could see that becoming a no mans land. Yes, that kinda bothers me.

It's just that not everyone's intent is completely clear from the beginning.

The meng situation was outside the box...way outside it. You know we don't get people like that everyday.

14-03-2014, 02:33 AM
(13-03-2014 10:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I see the biggest issue as being the ones who show up and start a bunch of threads that clog up the main page so that you have to dig to find a thread you are interested in. For some reason, this behavior seems to go pretty much unchecked. Miss Me is a great example of that...I&I Syndrome, as it were.

On the occasions when I am using my phone or Kindle, it's a real pain to open the site and just see crap threads. Right up there on the annoying meter is a dozen posts in a row by one user of multi-quotes that fill up the whole screen and then some.

A troll subforum (we called it a troll cage on my previous forum) is useful for moving threads into. People can continue discussing stuff on the thread, but it means that when someone does show themselves to be a spammer or a troll, you can clean up the main site and minimise the damage. The site then looks better when potential new members come along and you get more control over the general tone and ethos of the site.

We also had a sub forum called Soviet Russia. It was originally a forum game where everyone created an account with the name Comrade followed by 6 numbers. People would try to guess who was who. Only one person got identified. One of the most odious trolls got sent there once and that was the only part of the forum they could see. We sent the troll there because he was literally a fascist who was using the forum to peddle his extreme right wing views.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
14-03-2014, 02:30 PM
(13-03-2014 08:42 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why don't we just fucking ban them?

Because if we banned everyone who was accused of being a troll at some point or other the forum would be down to just aurora, LJ, and MSBB.

Sadly, even I was accused of being a troll.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-03-2014, 02:56 PM
(14-03-2014 02:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:42 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Because if we banned everyone who was accused of being a troll at some point or other the forum would be down to just aurora, LJ, and MSBB.

Sadly, even I was accused of being a troll.

That's because you are a troll.

[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post