Suggestions....?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Suggestions....?
Okay... so I live in this little town that has more churches than it does people. People ask me all the time what my religion is cause they never see me at church. As soon as I say I'm Atheist I'm hated. I have tried multiple times to explain to them that I do not hate religion but it's no use. To them, I'm the devil himself. I have been kicked out of parties, stores, and restaurants because of this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this... in some way?
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 03:37 PM
RE: Suggestions....?
Do you know any other atheists? If you do, or if you can somehow get a hold of other atheists, you could attempt to start a small organization to allow people to meet and discuss with atheists. Think of it as starting a "The Atheist Experience" (Look it up on youtube if you haven't heard of it) in your town.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Carry a camcorder with you or have someone follow you recording with one. Record your experiences and interactions with people. Nothing makes people think twice more than seeing themselves on camera being the very antithesis of what a Christian is supposed to be.

Even better, make a plan. Write down an outline. Turn it into a documentary and release it on Youtube.
20-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I live in Houston (not a little town) and I keep my atheism to myself. It would be detrimental to my well-being to be open about my lack of belief.

Since you're already out, I would try SANSD8TY's suggestion. Film your encounters and post them on youtube. Say, "would you be willing to testify against me in the name of Jesus Christ on camera?" They couldn't say no.
20-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I have yet to find any atheists near me. I do have a few Muslim friends that support me but they get hammered cause of the terrorism stereotype. That is a good idea SANSD8TY. I'll keep that in mind. My main thing is that I'm not purposely going out and saying "Hey, my name is Brittany and I'm an atheist." Or "You're wrong. There's no god." I'm a very open and peaceful person. I don't mind when someone tells me what they believe. I like hearing all the different theories. It's when they ask what I believe is when they get offended. If someone asks me I'm going to answer honestly.
20-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, there's probably very little you can do to change your current standing in the eyes of these people. If they're shunning you irrationally now, there's no really much you can do to change their minds. It doesn't matter if you can explain why there is no real reason to dislike you.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett