Suggestions for my job hunt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Suggestions for my job hunt?
I've posted on here a few times about my job misadventures. I've very recently quit a librarian job i had for two months after realizing the hellish work situation. I'm now at a temp job which will keep until mid January and leave me with a healthy sum of savings on which to live for a while (I live with my parents). I've also gotten an offer for a temp library assistant position which is great because I can include that on my resume. I am in limbo now. I have 11 weeks left on this temp job after which than I'm considering some options. I will be working 6 days a week for the next two months or about 60 hours, which is new for me. Should I get a part time job in an office after the 11 weeks are up? I figure a part time will fit my needs and allow me to gain my job confidence back while I figure out what i want to do. I've got this stupid master's degree now that certifies me as a librarian but I really don't think I want to work in libraries permanently anymore, at least not full time. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
RE: Suggestions for my job hunt?
Don't know if my thoughts will be any help, your getting them anyway!

I would go for the part time job if that suits you with the hours. You can then look for alternative employment. It is easier to get a job from a job. In other words you are showing that you are willing to work and are employable which is more attractive to prospective employers than some one not in work.
There are jobs around that having librarian qualifications are a definite advantage without being in a library. Things like archives, record offices, some companies have their own record departments, etc. In any case having a degree, even in an irrelevant subject shows you are both willing and able to learn which again is attractive to employers.
If you feel like a complete change of career but don't know what to do then try several part time jobs, you can do two together if the hours don't clash.
Choosing a career is one of the hardest decisions to make. Try to get it right even if that means doing many diverse jobs until you find the right one for you.

Best wishes and good luck.
Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
02-11-2015, 05:39 PM
RE: Suggestions for my job hunt?
(01-11-2015 05:56 PM)jerseygirlar Wrote:  I've got this stupid master's degree now that certifies me as a librarian but I really don't think I want to work in libraries permanently anymore, at least not full time. Thoughts?

I have a great deal of respect for library science. They are the OG information modelers and engineers. With just a little bit of formal training they make excellent database and ontology designers. And it pays a lot more.

#sigh