Suggestions for old country music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Suggestions for old country music
Here's the deal. I hate country music with a passion. Modern day country is just giant belt-buckled cowpokes named Keith or Brad twanging on about laughably stereotypical subject matter (pickup trucks, and ex-wives, and their daddy, and america and the flag a wavin').

But I like old country. The music that tells a story with a heartfelt passion. The kind of music that when the song is over, you sit back and your chair and feel emotionally exhausted... like you just listened to an entire book on tape.

But the only artists I know so far are:

Marty Robbins
Johnny Horton (awesome Lego video)
Gordon Lightfoot (technically country)

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
RE: Suggestions for old country music
well, I dont listen to country much, but I only know Brad Paisley and Alan Jackson.

I like Brad Paisley because his songs are light and nice, romantic but not cheesy.
My fave songs from him:
- Whiskey Lullaby
- Two People Fell in Love

Alan Jackson I only know one song but its the most romantic song I've ever heard for me.
Remember when

I'm only 25 so maybe I dont get the old country vibe Tongue
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Johnny Cash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7K4jH7NqUw

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm one of those apparently few people that doesn't like Johnny Cash (gasp!). I mean I like the hits and I have the movie Walk the Line memorized, but that's as far as it goes. His voice just doesn't sit right with me.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
03-04-2011, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 11:39 AM by Lilith Pride.)
I've really only focused on Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, and Dolly Parton. Dolly Parton sang my favorite country song coat of many colors.

A wonderful song about being poor.

Plenty of other artists that have good songs from way back, but these artists have the most. Dolly had a lot of women's rights songs in her career.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
04-04-2011, 06:07 AM
I don't know if it qualifies for country music. I'm not an expert. Country isn't so popular like it was in the 80's in Europe. But I still think it is a beautiful song about unemployment and how everything eventually will end...

michelle shocked-the l&n don't stop here anymore

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.