Suggestions please - First Communion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Suggestions please - First Communion
Hi all! Dedicated podcast listener, occassional forum reader, first time poster. I come to you all with seeking advice. I am non-religious and I have an eight year old son who is being raised without religion. His very best friend in all the world, however, is being raised Catholic. Her first communion is coming up and we have been invited. Of course we will attend. In doing a little reading on the subject, I found it is customary to give a gift. Does anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate gift?

I really don't feel it appropriate for us to give a religious item such as a cross , rosary, bible or other such traditional first communion gift but I certainly am not going to give her a copy of The Magic of Reality either! Her parents are dear friends and they are aware of my lack of religious belief so a non-religious gift won't come as a surprise to them. I'm just really searching for an idea with the right balance of respecting their choice, honoring the occassion and not compromising my worldview.

I look forward to any and all suggestions!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2013, 09:35 AM
RE: Suggestions please - First Communion
A holy water pistol ?

Welcome to the forum Smile
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-04-2013, 09:49 AM
RE: Suggestions please - First Communion
(14-04-2013 09:28 AM)thepinkphoenix Wrote:  Hi all! Dedicated podcast listener, occassional forum reader, first time poster. I come to you all with seeking advice. I am non-religious and I have an eight year old son who is being raised without religion. His very best friend in all the world, however, is being raised Catholic. Her first communion is coming up and we have been invited. Of course we will attend. In doing a little reading on the subject, I found it is customary to give a gift. Does anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate gift?

I really don't feel it appropriate for us to give a religious item such as a cross , rosary, bible or other such traditional first communion gift but I certainly am not going to give her a copy of The Magic of Reality either! Her parents are dear friends and they are aware of my lack of religious belief so a non-religious gift won't come as a surprise to them. I'm just really searching for an idea with the right balance of respecting their choice, honoring the occassion and not compromising my worldview.

I look forward to any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

Money, or a pretty kinda "grownup necklace" like a locket or something like that. Her close family will probably be covering the religious stuff and they'll be happy to have something special but secular. Normally I'd also recommend a savings bond or something...but with the way the economy is....Yanno?

I got lots of jewelry...some religious but also secular -- mostly from friends.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon