Suicidal Theist vs. Suicidal Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2012, 03:03 PM
RE: Suicidal Theist vs. Suicidal Atheist.
Sad That makes me sad.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
24-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Reasoning with those who are suicidal is like trying to reason with a pregnant woman. It is never going to happen. You either intervene, stop it from happening, and get the person help... or you can live with guilt and let the person die, even when you could have helped.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
24-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Well, unless I was paralyzed from the neck down, I would never attempt suicide. Misery is better than nothing right. Besides, it is almost always possible for your situation to improve.

I was heartbroken when someone I loved tried to kill themselves because they thought they were going to a better place….
Sad
24-09-2012, 04:02 PM
It's not always desperation and pain at all.

I am pretty sure that if something doesn't kill me first, I will exit this life at my own volition some day.

And that is a rational decision, not driven by any kind of pain or desperation.

It all depends on what is acceptable to you.

Some day my physical or mental facilities will diminish (unless I die from something else first).

A life where I spend all day just taking care of my own physical needs and am exhausted from doing so - that is likely not going to be enough for me. Never mind getting to the stage where others have to do it for me. Totally unacceptable.

So what's the big deal about deciding for yourself when and how you want to die?

I don't expect this to be a point of contention for me for a couple decades yet, but it's expected to happen at some point.

Suicide is very much a point of discussion. Some people who are thinking about leaving this place prematurely may get a better outlook, and some who are hanging there by a thread and enduring great pain may decide to opt out of life.

So what the heck is wrong with that?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-09-2012, 04:24 PM
(24-09-2012 04:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  Suicide is very much a point of discussion. Some people who are thinking about leaving this place prematurely may get a better outlook, and some who are hanging there by a thread and enduring great pain may decide to opt out of life.

I can understand suicide from the point of view of someone whose physical facilities are becoming impaired. But to me, if someone kills themselves out of depression that is sad, because a lot of the time things could get better if they only give it more time.
24-09-2012, 04:38 PM
(24-09-2012 04:24 PM)darkfire Wrote:  
(24-09-2012 04:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  Suicide is very much a point of discussion. Some people who are thinking about leaving this place prematurely may get a better outlook, and some who are hanging there by a thread and enduring great pain may decide to opt out of life.

I can understand suicide from the point of view of someone whose physical facilities are becoming impaired. But to me, if someone kills themselves out of depression that is sad, because a lot of the time things could get better if they only give it more time.

I totally agree.

And that is why it shouldn't be a hush hush topic.

People should be feeling free to talk about it.

If you are just depressed, talking about it can help.

If the depressed person feels that talking about it will just get everyone to shout: "Oh no, oh no!" they won't talk about it and nothing can be resolved.

Suicide can be a knee jerk decision and that is never good. Sometimes just engaging someone in a rational talk about it for 5 minutes can change everything.

The fact that talking about is a taboo is not going to help anyone

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-09-2012, 05:02 PM
(24-09-2012 04:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  If the depressed person feels that talking about it will just get everyone to shout: "Oh no, oh no!" they won't talk about it and nothing can be resolved.

Suicide can be a knee jerk decision and that is never good. Sometimes just engaging someone in a rational talk about it for 5 minutes can change everything.

The fact that talking about is a taboo is not going to help anyone

Definitely, when im feeling really down it helps a lot to have someone just listen and give some small sign that they care.
[+] 1 user Likes darkfire's post
24-09-2012, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 06:53 PM by depat.)
I reviewed some data. These are not direct quotes from any one data source, but the data and some theory used here is prety solid, as I also learned this in classes addressing this related topic: philosophy, sociological theory w/statics, and psychology w/theory and stats:

1. Generally speaking, people living alone have higher rates of anxiety and depression, leading to higher rates of suicide than people with spouses.
2. If the person living alone has faith in an active god, rates for depression and anxiety are down.
3. Generally speaking people with spouses tend to live healthier and longer lives.
4. Most people with faith in an active god do better in the physical healing process.
5. Married theists with faith in an active god, with a relatively decent marriage and income are near the top of the chain for living longer, more
contented lives.
6. Hypothesis: married atheists in a great marriage with a good income (120,000 annually) are likely to live long healthy and contented lives like
7. Atheists do, over all, have the the highest suicide rates due to what may be called a sense of "cosmic aloneness," or detachment from meaning. That Atheists do have the highest suicide rates over Theists is true from the stats I have seen, but the use of "cosmic aloneness" and detachment is more of a philosophical and psychological term (respectively) that I would not have used if I did not believe this to be a high contributing factor, albeit a, I believe, socially constructed factor. This may be something that is informed on Athiests due to the prominant idea/worldview that god-the-creator exists. Because Atheists often live in communities, countries where Creator ideologies exist (everywhere really), we are often alone in our belief/s. Just tell the office personal you are Atheist; you may find yourself instantly alienated if you didn't before, not to mention the reaction of the community, state, country. It may be this all pervading worldview of Creator ideologies that instruct feelings of aloneness in the mind of the Atheist, making this a huge contrubiting factor.

I don't know, This sounds like "a can of worms."
24-09-2012, 07:18 PM
(24-09-2012 04:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's not always desperation and pain at all.

I am pretty sure that if something doesn't kill me first, I will exit this life at my own volition some day.

And that is a rational decision, not driven by any kind of pain or desperation.

It all depends on what is acceptable to you.

Some day my physical or mental facilities will diminish (unless I die from something else first).

A life where I spend all day just taking care of my own physical needs and am exhausted from doing so - that is likely not going to be enough for me. Never mind getting to the stage where others have to do it for me. Totally unacceptable.

So what's the big deal about deciding for yourself when and how you want to die?

I don't expect this to be a point of contention for me for a couple decades yet, but it's expected to happen at some point.

Suicide is very much a point of discussion. Some people who are thinking about leaving this place prematurely may get a better outlook, and some who are hanging there by a thread and enduring great pain may decide to opt out of life.

The business failure was probably "no way out' (in sight). I agree with the health and end of life issues. That is a different thing than the pain/desperation thing. That is a considered decision, (which I have never considered Tongue). I did almost did do the other once. Religion was never a pert of it. It taught me a lot. Now I wake up, every day, just happy to be alive.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche