Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Suicide
I figured with the amount of depression going on around here, there ought to be some good stories for this topic. If anything, this thread should depress you even more.

Give your opinion on why suicide occurs, discuss the chemical imbalance in the brain that may causes it, or just give a tale of your own.

Personally, I started thinking about suicide to a small degree when I was like 21. I had and still have no interest in "the american dream" of getting married or having kids or working the same job for 30 years, and then waiting to die (retirement). I don't like kids, I don't want to raise one, I don't like women but I'm not gay (though I have about 4 gay stalkers that follow me online), and I usually get fired after a few months because I can't stand taking orders from someone dumber than me. So my introduction into life was a disappointed rejection of what I was supposed to do.

Then I joined the army. I got to tour Europe while stationed in Germany; discover all the places in the world that were mysterious to me. Did 2 tours in Iraq and came out of it with all the wonderful nightmares and PTSD twitches that accompany such wonderful experiences. Came home and all my friends and ex-girlfriends were married with kids. To top it off, one of my good friends killed himself while I was in the middle of my second deployment, and I discovered it via facebook while visiting one of the bases with internet.

So now all my friends are imprisoned by their wives, I'm constantly nearing empty on my bank accound, and there's nothing left in life to look forward to... which has led to considering suicide daily. And before you go and get all concerned, I thought about it and ultimately decided I'm not going to do it. I'm just too curious about what COULD happen to just give up this life. Maybe I'll find a million dollars in the street, maybe I'll get a disease and develop the only known resistance to it (Outbreak monkey).

But the point to all this isn't to get sympathy or some nonsense like that. I just wanted to point out that during my suicide consideration phase, I almost felt like I couldn't do it just because I'm an atheist. With so much rhetoric floating around about how atheists have no morals and have nothing in life to appreciate, I felt like a spokesperson for atheism. I could just imagine all the people I've argued with going "see, that what's happens when you don't believe in god."

But honestly, I just wanted to be the 2nd thread in the new section.

[Image: grrr.gif]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2011, 01:58 PM
RE: Suicide
It's a good topic.

I'm pro-choice. If life is nothing than pain to someone they deserve to die with dignity rather than live for some idiotic ideal. Most people who want to commit suicide usually do , but under very violent circumstances. At least give them dignity , and the option of ending one's life may give them time to reflect on life.
Beyond that , I did think about suicide a lot because I was a loner.The only time I thought about doing it was when I was a teenager and depressed. I walked to a bridge one evening , and when I got to it I thought to myself : "This is stupid.I'm going home and listening to music"

Beyond that , I want to lead a happy life.I don't make any assumptions on family,friends or money because it's futile to speculate and it only makes me sad when I set impossible goals.

Those are just my thoughts.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
24-02-2011, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2011 02:21 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(24-02-2011 01:58 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  If life is nothing than pain to someone they deserve to die with dignity rather than live for some idiotic ideal.

I've always liked the quote:

“Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and its sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end and make it all worthwhile. No one should blame you for walking out early.”

--
-

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
24-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Dr. Jack Kevorkian is a hero in my mind. I believe that faced with a deadly illness with no known cure, a human being deserves the right to choose his fate. So to expand on gaglamesh's post a bit, I think that it must be clear physical pain/suffering in order to justify the taking of one's own life. I only make this distinction because I don't condone suicide in a situation where the person is dealing with emotional pain.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
24-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I think emotional pain can sometimes be just as bad as physical pain, though. The LGBT community has a notoriously high suicide rate, mostly because of emotional pain. Is this a good thing? No, of course not. Is suicide the problem? Once again, no. The problem is the hate that causes that emotional pain.

On that level, I agree that if the problem can be taken care of, emotional pain-induced suicide should absolutely not be the choice one makes. But in many LGBT communities, it really doesn't get any better. Many parts of the world will hang you or otherwise murder you if you're found out. It's another question of which is the more dignified way to go?

Not saying I condone it, but I sympathize a little more with those who commit it for emotional reasons.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2011, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2011 06:46 PM by Lilith Pride.)
While growing up (3-5), my mother would often visit her mother in a clinic. Her mother was lucid, but remembered nothing. She had machines to feed her, help her breathing, all she did was lay in bed being alive. For both myself and my mother this was an obvious statement of how wrong it is to just force life on someone. I've felt that suicide is not wrong for a long time.

Yes, a little while later I had my molestation issue and afterwards the family hating me. At 6 I wanted to not exist, but since I really couldn't stand the idea of repercussions with everyone I know of my death I chose to live without living until I later couldn't stand that anymore (it's been a back and forth struggle). I also was very willing to do anything dangerous I could, because I didn't really care whether I was alive or dead (Nothing came from this I never even got hospitalized for anything during this period).

I have no problem with people believing that they should die, but if they come to me and ask me I will let them know either choice is ok, and then I will talk to them about living. Those who are wanting to die and asking others, aren't really so sure yet. It's my belief that someone like that while I will agree with them either way should be given some arguments about why they shouldn't do it. Obviously someone planning to commit suicide is probably not thinking too much on the pros of living.

If someone is sure in what they will do I am perfectly fine with it, I've gone through many scenarios of medical ethics (due to an interest in ethics). Yes there are cases of people who plan on suicide and then live great lives, but guess what there are a lot of cases of people who plan on suicide, fail, and do nothing with their life. In any argument you can bring up a few examples to prove your point, what I care about is the general consensus. 5 cases out of 1000? who cares?

I go beyond just those who have horrible diseases, because not every horrible fact of life is a diagnoseable disease. These are my opinions and I know many do not agree with me, i also know many have not lived my life. There is serious merit in living, you can do something (at whatever scale) as long as you live; but that doesn't mean death has no merits, the escape from pain for enough people tends to be about their loved ones who all they ever see is disappointment. There are plenty of cases of people living who just hurt those around them, it doesn't have to be physically. The world is not all sunshine, and if someone is done with life that's on them.

You can't seriously argue with someone who is a child of rape, who grew up with a mother that hated her, that after 17 years of shit life is going to turn around. A current friend I give as much hope as I can to, her mother died when she was born and her father blamed her. She's close to 19 and has a huge fear of people, she's been victimised past this in many ways. She's been raped multiple times which has left her completely incapable of talking to men, she's schizophrenic, and she's had no luck with hospitals so she can't bring up the courage to go to a psychiatrist and get medicine. An Aunt raised her, but she basically lives on her own surviving as a maid. If she decided she'd had enough of life would you blame her?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I never understood the people who argue for the "sanctity of life." If a person is living in misery and pain, it doesn't do anyone any good if this person suffers another 40-50 years of misery and dies anyways in a puddle of their own urine.

If a person realizes that they were dealt a crappy hand in the poker game of life, it's their right to take what chips they have left and stand up from the table.

[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
24-02-2011, 09:15 PM

(24-02-2011 07:37 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I never understood the people who argue for the "sanctity of life." If a person is living in misery and pain, it doesn't do anyone any good if this person suffers another 40-50 years of misery and dies anyways in a puddle of their own urine.

If a person realizes that they were dealt a crappy hand in the poker game of life, it's their right to take what chips they have left and stand up from the table.

1 year ago my cousin Allen (who I was really close with) took his life at the age of 20. My grandmother (on my fathers side) who is a very devout Catholic called him and I quote "a selfish bastard, that will roast in hell for all eternity".
I completely agree with you.
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 02:16 AM
(24-02-2011 06:37 PM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I think emotional pain can sometimes be just as bad as physical pain, though. The LGBT community has a notoriously high suicide rate, mostly because of emotional pain. Is this a good thing? No, of course not. Is suicide the problem? Once again, no. The problem is the hate that causes that emotional pain.
I'm not trying to argue the severity of emotional pain vs physical pain. I've been through enough emotional pain myself to understand the severity of it. My stand is on the permanence of said pain, and this is admittedly coming through my experience as well. In my own experience, I went through years of emotional pain. I never saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I just suffered, day in and day out. But I eventually found that life got better. That circumstances change for individuals, and while terminal disease may not be cured, life's circumstance's can change so that one does not feel terrible emotional pain anymore.
(24-02-2011 06:38 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  The world is not all sunshine, and if someone is done with life that's on them.

You can't seriously argue with someone who is a child of rape, who grew up with a mother that hated her, that after 17 years of shit life is going to turn around. A current friend I give as much hope as I can to, her mother died when she was born and her father blamed her. She's close to 19 and has a huge fear of people, she's been victimised past this in many ways. She's been raped multiple times which has left her completely incapable of talking to men, she's schizophrenic, and she's had no luck with hospitals so she can't bring up the courage to go to a psychiatrist and get medicine. An Aunt raised her, but she basically lives on her own surviving as a maid. If she decided she'd had enough of life would you blame her?
I absolutely don't blame anyone for suicide. It isn't a crime, no matter what the reasons one puts forth for it, so blame is undeserved. However, I still believe that a capable, functioning human being that kills them self, does so needlessly. Situations can be changed. I understand that this isn't always perceived as an easy change, and sometimes it truly is a difficult change, but it can still be made. Enjoyment can still be found in life. I think suicide for anyone other than the elderly/chronically ill is a sad waste of the only life one has.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
25-02-2011, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2011 04:12 AM by MasterRottweiler.)
This is an interesting thread indeed. When I think about it, I think I've been depressed since I was a kid about 4 or 5 years old if I remember correctly. I've lived with a disfunctional family my entire life.

My old man is a person who does not give a shit about me or my sister, I've suffered from physical and psycological abuse from my father since I was a little kid and my sister also went through that hell.

Since I was a kid I feel guilty because I thought that I was nothing more than a nuisance to my mother's relationship with my father. Every time I spoke to my mother about my father's behaviour, my mother always defended him and made me feel that I was just an obstacle between them.

My mother has been a silent witness of that abuse but she didn't do anything to prevent it, in fact, her religious beliefs were a key factor here because she used to think that my father can do whatever he wants just because is my father and I should honor him just as the bible tells us, no matter what. I was bullied since 1st to 9th grade in school just because I was chubby and smarter than the rest of the people.

Even my mother's mother hated me in some way because just because I was the son of my father, and my grand mother hated my father so much, and sometimes she treated me like trash just because I was the son of the man she hated.

When I was 13, during an argument with my mother, she told me that she couldnt love me more than my father, that was the first time when I considered killing myself because I felt I was no longer necesary or welcome in my own house, the only thing that made me change my mind was my sister because she's the only person who really love me.

After I finished 9th degree I had a peacefull period in my life until 2004 when my sister was diagnosed of SLE, my sister was very ill back then and my father didnt give a shit about her, in fact, we discovered that he was having an affair with 2 women, in fact he was having his affair even before my sister were born and I discovered that I have 2 half brothers. Even knowing that my mother is unable to divorce because of her religious ideas because I think she is still praying and hoping that my father will change magically by her god's influence.

That was the second time I considered suicide, thats when I got in brawls every time I could, I used to get in street and bar fights hoping to die in combat because, for me, that could be an honorable way to die, I became a very good street fighter LOL, when I was in college I trained Boxing and even a little bit of Krav Maga when the Mossad came to our city to give training courses, but I always was looking for someone better than me and die in a fight. I changed my mind for the second time because I realized that my sister needs me and I decided to keep going because I wanted to stay with her and help her with her illness.

(24-02-2011 07:37 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I never understood the people who argue for the "sanctity of life." If a person is living in misery and pain, it doesn't do anyone any good if this person suffers another 40-50 years of misery and dies anyways in a puddle of their own urine.

I know what you mean, most people, especially my mother, believe that everyone have a purpouse, you know that way of thinking "everything happens for a reason, god have a plan for every one of us..." you know that kind of bullshit, I've been in many arguments because of that because I told her "ok then, whats the god's plan for a baby who is born without brain?", for me that is a very insulting way of thinking, its an insult to the intelect as rational beings and its an insult to the dignity of people as human beings IMO. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user