Suicide Prevention.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 01:16 AM by Dark Light.)
Question Suicide Prevention.
Okay, in America, and much of the world, governments have programs to assist the suicidal...and by assist, I mean try to save them from death. However, in many cases is it illegal to help them commit suicide. Why do so many people feel they have a moral obligation to prevent a persons self-destruction? If their life no longer brings them pleasure and they do not want to try and cope with their situations, then I say let them do themselves in, I'd even help them die if I could. I think it is much more immoral to try to force someone to stay alive in an unhappy existence, it is even torture. Of course there are situations where their is only a lot of overwhelming temporary pain, and in those situations I think I would try to help prevent suicide, as a matter of fact I have. On the other hand we have folks in physical torment which cannot really be relieved. We have elderly people who have lost their spouse of 5+ decades who just cannot cope with the loss of their sweetie. I have no issue giving them the means to kill themselves. My philosophy is, for those people, they can judge their situations much better than I ever could. I cannot feel their pain, and I know there is little chance of the recovering to have a meaningful life again, an existence that makes them happy, and to me happiness is the point of life. It is a end, not a means to an end.

There are situations where my selfishness would impair my judgement. I am a man, and we are no impartial. With a close loved one I may not be able to let go so easily, and I recognize that. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 10:28 PM
RE: Suicides Prevention.
I'll tell you the answer that I cam up with years ago.

It's aaaaaaallllll about circumstance. There is no simple "yes" or "no". It all depends on that person an their specifics. I'll provide some examples.

Let's say there's a teenager being bullied via some medium. The bullying gets so bad that they decide to kill themselves. In such a case I would do everything in my power and beyond to stop that from happening.

Now let's imagine an everyday guy. He has a loving family and a good job, he's also in perfect health. Then one day... BAM. Famliy dies in an accident. Bam. loses his job. BAM loses his legs and hearing. In this case I wouldn't interfere with him offing himself...I might even hand him a gun or something.

So there's my two bits. I've had to deal with the whole suicide thing on both fronts. Not pleasant but helpful.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
06-06-2013, 10:34 PM
(06-06-2013 10:28 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Let's say there's a teenager being bullied via some medium. The bullying gets so bad that they decide to kill themselves. In such a case I would do everything in my power and beyond to stop that from happening.

Agreed with this. I think my stance on the matter depends on the circumstances as well as whether or not the situation will get better or not.

That being said, I wouldn't stop a person from killing themselves, in theory. I think a person's life belongs to the person, and the person alone, and that gives them the right to end it. The problem with that is there are circumstances where someone is doing a "suicidal gesture," and also circumstances where the person is not thinking clearly and could be helped by things like a therapist and/or the passage of time.

I just get upset when people say NO ONE should be allowed to kill themselves, ever, and that's it;s a horrible, selfish thing and makes the person an uncaring asshole. I think it's much more selfish to expect a suffering person to go on living with their pain just to keep you from being sad, especially in cases where whatever is causing the suffering is not going to go away (such as chronic illness or pain).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-06-2013, 10:40 PM
So, we are all in agreement about circumstance, but as it stands in the majority of America it is always illegal. They are certain exceptions to the rule, but for example, if I help a paraplegic escape his/her life then how could we make is safe for me to assist from a legal standpoint? I know other countries deal with this issue differently, so I'd love to hear from them. However, I am pleased that others feel the same as myself from a philosophical standpoint.

06-06-2013, 11:20 PM
We euthanize our pets when they reach a point where there is no quality of life. Sometimes that's due to old age, disease or severe injury but regardless, we have enough compassion for our animals to end their lives when we see them suffering with no hope for recovery.

Yet the state won't let us choose the same path for ourselves. If I own my pet, it can only follow that I own my body. Property rights begin with our bodies and extent to the fruits of our labors.

So yeah, it makes perfect sense to me that people should be allowed to dispose of their own property when they deem it unfit for use.

I don't even think that's a difficult philosophical question to answer. But then, I don't think many are. For sure, it's a difficult subject of discussion, but that's irrelevant to the question and, it's part of the problem.

Philosophy that's based on subjective emotion gets us things like laws against suicide. And drugs and a lot of other "crimes" that have no victims. It also gets us the state, and religion.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post