Suicide, the one-way ticket to heaven?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2010, 09:23 AM

RE: Suicide, the one-way ticket to heaven?
Sorry, put the text right. My dictation software was having a bad day!
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 03:10 PM
(28-09-2010 09:06 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Other reasons I don't just want to kill myself to go to heaven right now (assuming I wouldn't go to hell) are:

- I have a purpose on this earth that is not yet fulfilled (Matthew 28:18-20)
- I have to take care of my kingdom here on earth (wife, possibly future kids, pets, household)
- I believe that part of my time on earth is to get better acquainted with my soul, which will be the only thing left (along with my new glorified body) once I go to heaven. If I do not get to know my soul, when I die I won't recognize myself any more!

So those are my reasons why I just don't kill myself. What are some of yours?

I have to say, Barley, that you are probably the most rational theist I've met Tongue Your second reason is really probably the main reason that people in general (religious or not) don't kill themselves; they have family, friends, pets, etc, that they need to stick around to take care of. So even if the thought of death seems tempting (whether to end suffering caused by living, or because of a better afterlife), there are other factors keeping them alive.

My personal reasons for staying alive:

-I've had the experience of living in chronic fear that one day I would wake up and one of the closest people to me would have killed herself. Having someone close to you who is deeply depressed enough to consider killing him-/herself is an experience I would never want to visit upon anybody that I love. Thus, if I killed myself, I know I would be leaving grieving loved ones behind, and I couldn't do that.

-I have only one life to live, and I want to live it with my partner to the fullest extent that I can. Being with him is a joy unto itself, and since we don't get to spend nearly enough time together (he's in the army), I would like to spend as much of my life as I can with him.

-I am naturally curious, and I love to learn, so a lifetime spent learning is heaven enough for me Big Grin

-Finally, I am a generally happy and optimistic person, and so I find pleasure in simply living for the sake of living.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Why am I alive? Because the alternative is being dead. Existence vs Non-Existence.
30-09-2010, 01:11 AM
At least half of us in this form are alive because of medical science. Without it, some of us would have died in child birth or of childhood diseases which plagued the human race for most of its existence. This is the same science that discovered genes and proved that evolution is a reality. Without it, there is a better than 50% chance that you would be dead.
01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
(30-09-2010 01:11 AM)No J. Wrote:  At least half of us in this form are alive because of medical science. Without it, some of us would have died in child birth or of childhood diseases which plagued the human race for most of its existence. This is the same science that discovered genes and proved that evolution is a reality. Without it, there is a better than 50% chance that you would be dead.

Way to be literal about it Tongue

Really, I'm just disappointed that I wasn't witty enough to think of this first Undecided

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
(01-10-2010 03:10 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Really, I'm just disappointed that I wasn't witty enough to think of this first Undecided

It wasn't wit. It was based on death rates in the dark ages, when medical science was in its infancy. and christianity played a large part in politics.
02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
(01-10-2010 06:27 PM)No J. Wrote:  It wasn't wit. It was based on death rates in the dark ages, when medical science was in its infancy. and christianity played a large part in politics.

I meant using a literal reason for us being alive was witty, not the statistics Tongue

02-10-2010, 11:59 PM
(02-10-2010 05:48 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I meant using a literal reason for us being alive was witty, not the statistics Tongue

I didn't take it as sarcasm, I just didn't catch the whole meaning.
30-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Suicide is in the bible, Old Testiment, Exodus 20:17
You shall not kill

There are no gurantee's to go to heaven, Christians simply believe the body is only temporary while we are here on earth (until the end when it will come back in the resurrection), follow what Jesus preached and receive the sacraments such as the Eucharist, Confession, etc. This will get you to heaven, but if you kill yourself intentionaly, it is a mortal sin, however people committ suicide doesn't mean they are automatically going to hell, because most people who do this don't meet all the requirements to be a mortall sin, such as being mentally ill, under serious pressure, etc, or in the last second if they had second thoughts . In short God is mercifull to the end, but if one committs killing out of pride, say like Hitler, well it's a good chance he went to hell, but never can no for sure, only God will know a persons heart.

(24-09-2010 07:21 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Okay, so I had been wondering about this question for awhile. If religious people believe that heaven is real, and is a much better place than here, then why don't they commit suicide? I thought perhaps that maybe suicide was prohibited in the Bible, but since I am still becoming acquainted with it, I wasn't sure. Then, yesterday, I was talking with a fellow atheist who brought it up. He went to Catholic school, and he's read the Bible, so he could tell me that there was no reference to a prohibition of suicide in the Bible, but that the Church still forbid it. I guess in the Middle Ages, the Church had to establish a rule against it in order to keep serfs from killing themselves (because then who would work the land?)
So my question is, has anybody come across this anywhere in the Bible? Or has anybody had any discussions with theists about this?
30-11-2011, 01:05 PM

In the Southern Baptist ranks i've heard it said that its a sin that cant be redeemed.
You cant ask for forgivness after you are dead...so therefore Hellbound!!!!

Its really grasping for straws.

I have heard of the WORST things said at suicide funerals by clergy and those of the cloth. What better way to confert the greiving by introducing the Horned One and eternal damnation!

Somewhat related, Doug Stanhope (comedian) said if christians are so excited about the awesome afterlife..then why do they wear seatbelts???!!!

D