Summer field school in Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 09:10 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I just learned a couple of days ago that my school is partnering with the University of North Carolina to host a paleoanthropology field school in Tanzania, Africa in summer of 2014. The dig will take place in the famous Olduvai Gorge, home of some of the oldest archaic human fossils and stone tools (between 1 and 2 million years old). Students who attend will learn both field and lab methods. I believe the dig is connected to some international project. I'm 95% sure that I'm going. I'm in my senior year, and most people have already studied abroad by this point. I missed out on studying Chinese in China several years ago due to funding issues. I don't want to pass this opportunity up. I'm hoping to get some scholarship to help pay for the program; the estimated cost is $4500, not counting the plane ticket. If I can't get funding through the school, I'll look for alternate funds, or just pay for it out of pocket since I'm in a better financial situation this time around.

Apart from the dig, participants get to visit with the Masai tribe, as well as a local farmers market and a nature reserve.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-10-2013, 09:05 PM
RE: Summer field school in Africa
Very exciting! Wonderful opportunity, you do such cool stuff.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Ooh! Bring me back a rock from Olduvai.

Not, like, an artifact or a fossil or anything. Just a rock from there'll do.

... this is my signature!
01-12-2013, 08:35 PM
The application process for the program was pretty easy; all I had to do was fill out some online forms and send in a copy of my driver's license and a letter of recommendation from one of my professors. I'm not sure how many people are going, but I do know that I'm competing against students from the host school, as well as students from other universities. I just learned 20 minutes ago that I was accepted into the program. I'm pretty stoked about it. Now all I have to do is put down the deposit for the trip and pay the remainder when the time comes.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-12-2013, 09:06 PM
The professor leading the field school told me that I was one of 10-15 students who were accepted (the number of people who have accepted the invitation are still incoming). That's a pretty slim margin.
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Congratulations! Studying abroad is amazing!
19-01-2014, 03:27 PM
This page has information about the field school. It turns out the field school isn't that far away from the famous Laetoli footprint site.

http://www.olduvaiproject.org/the-laetol...ld-school/
19-01-2014, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 03:43 PM by hotnostril.)
How exciting! I'm thrilled for you! It sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime!
24-02-2014, 03:58 PM
My mother's friend just checked airline prices for round trip tickets to Tanzania during the summer travel period. I can expect to pay between $2300-$2500! I was expecting $1500 max.
24-02-2014, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 10:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-02-2014 03:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  My mother's friend just checked airline prices for round trip tickets to Tanzania during the summer travel period. I can expect to pay between $2300-$2500! I was expecting $1500 max.

Don't your school kick in something? Plane fare and lodging should be prearranged at a group discount negotiated by UNC who should be taking the lead on coordinating this. Ain't like they ain't done this before.

#sigh