Summer field school in Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: Summer field school in Africa
(24-02-2014 10:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 03:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  My mother's friend just checked airline prices for round trip tickets to Tanzania during the summer travel period. I can expect to pay between $2300-$2500! I was expecting $1500 max.

Don't your school kick in something? Plane fare and lodging should be prearranged at a group discount by UNC who should be taking the lead on this. Ain't like they ain't done this before.

The program cost of $4700 covers in-country food, travel, research permits, and education. It doesn't cover airfare, camping supplies, or vaccinations. I'm not a UNCG student (I'm from Ohio), so I'm leaving by myself and not with a group. My school does offer an airfare scholarship, but it is only available to those who are leaving for a full semester. The program is only a month long. I may try to hit my school up anyway to see if they can bend the rules since the airfare is so darned expensive. But that will only cover $600.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Airfare to some places is ridiculously high, but I say take out a loan if you have to to get there. Opportunities like rhis are hard to come by. The trip aounds amazing!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Paleoanthropology?
Who the hell wants to study old people.
The correct term should be;
Paleo-aetatis-anthropology.
Know your greek and latin.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
25-02-2014, 10:03 AM
(24-02-2014 10:52 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 10:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't your school kick in something? Plane fare and lodging should be prearranged at a group discount by UNC who should be taking the lead on this. Ain't like they ain't done this before.

The program cost of $4700 covers in-country food, travel, research permits, and education. It doesn't cover airfare, camping supplies, or vaccinations. I'm not a UNCG student (I'm from Ohio), so I'm leaving by myself and not with a group. My school does offer an airfare scholarship, but it is only available to those who are leaving for a full semester. The program is only a month long. I may try to hit my school up anyway to see if they can bend the rules since the airfare is so darned expensive. But that will only cover $600.

I suggest you talk to UNCG to join their likely-less-expensive flight.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-02-2014, 10:12 AM
hey!! if you find its cheaper to fly thru Charlotte and just need a ride-- let me know!

I'm 15 min from the Charlotte airport and love to road trip!!

I'm serious.

3 hrs from Charlotte to Raleigh
4 hrs from Charlotte to Atlanta
1.5 hrs to Columbia, SC
2 hrs to UNC-G

just send me a pm.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
26-02-2014, 02:06 PM
(25-02-2014 10:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  I suggest you talk to UNCG to join their likely-less-expensive flight.

I contacted the Professor leading the trip to see if the people leaving with him are getting some sort of discount.

(25-02-2014 10:12 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  hey!! if you find its cheaper to fly thru Charlotte and just need a ride-- let me know!

I'm 15 min from the Charlotte airport and love to road trip!!

I'm serious.

3 hrs from Charlotte to Raleigh
4 hrs from Charlotte to Atlanta
1.5 hrs to Columbia, SC
2 hrs to UNC-G

just send me a pm.

Thanks for offering. I mentioned this to my mom, but she volunteered to do it since she lives in eastern Tennessee. However, it seems that the airfare from Ohio and North Carolina is about the same. I guess it's so expensive because I'd be leaving during the big summer travel season.
26-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Can you add a link to the project in your go fund me page?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-02-2014, 07:02 PM
(26-02-2014 02:42 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Can you add a link to the project in your go fund me page?

I added it as requested.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
30-03-2014, 06:33 PM
My mother briefly visited this weekend. She wanted to make sure that I had plenty of 550 cord (survival rope) on me when I go to Tanzania, so we made some paracord bracelets for me to wear. We looked up how to do it on youtube. I have roughly 6 feet of cord on each bracelet, for a total of 12 feet.

[Image: 55dk.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
30-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Don't eat the bat soup.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/guinea-governm...ml#Rn6wXpR

Quote:Guinea: Government Outlaws Bat Soup to Stop Ebola Outbreak

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!