Summer field school in Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 11:28 PM
RE: Summer field school in Africa
(30-03-2014 06:33 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  My mother briefly visited this weekend. She wanted to make sure that I had plenty of 550 cord (survival rope) on me when I go to Tanzania, so we made some paracord bracelets for me to wear. We looked up how to do it on youtube. I have roughly 6 feet of cord on each bracelet, for a total of 12 feet.

[Image: 55dk.jpg]

This is the video we watched. If you are just going to use one color, you can skip the part about joining the two ends with a lighter.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 07:28 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I made another bracelet with a different weaving pattern. It has around 15 feet of 550 cord. This is over twice the amount of the first one. See the original bracelet for size comparison. Again, I watched a video on youtube to learn how to make this.

[Image: pt69.jpg]

Here's the video.

21-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I got an email about the trip's upcoming info session. I obviously can't attend it in North Carolina, so I will have to view it via Google Hangout. The session "will cover all the nuts and bolts of the trip (including vaccinations, visas, and travel insurance) and you guys will have a chance to meet each other (at least digitally) and ask any questions and/or raise concerns." I'm looking forward to it because I don't know any one going. From the email list it appears that one other person from Ohio is going. I'll have to contact them to see what their travel arrangements are. I found a ticket for $1,600, but I would have to drive down to Washing, DC. I'm not a huge fan of long road trips. Flying out of Columbus is around $2,200, which is slightly cheaper than flying out of Cincinnati.
21-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Beware of Malaria, and research the other infectious diseases you need to know about. Sounds like a blast tho.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2014, 07:43 PM
(21-04-2014 07:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Beware of Malaria, and research the other infectious diseases you need to know about. Sounds like a blast tho.

I certainly will. The information session will include information on what vaccinations I need. Hopefully I don't get autism!
23-04-2014, 07:20 PM
(21-04-2014 06:45 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I got an email about the trip's upcoming info session. I obviously can't attend it in North Carolina, so I will have to view it via Google Hangout. The session "will cover all the nuts and bolts of the trip (including vaccinations, visas, and travel insurance) and you guys will have a chance to meet each other (at least digitally) and ask any questions and/or raise concerns." I'm looking forward to it because I don't know any one going. From the email list it appears that one other person from Ohio is going. I'll have to contact them to see what their travel arrangements are. I found a ticket for $1,600, but I would have to drive down to Washing, DC. I'm not a huge fan of long road trips. Flying out of Columbus is around $2,200, which is slightly cheaper than flying out of Cincinnati.

We just had the Google Hangout. We have to get vaccinations for Hep A and Typhoid. It's suggested that we also get Yellow Fever if we have a layover in an African country prone to it, as well as anti-malarial pills. We will have internet access only briefly when we spend the night in a hotel before we leave for base camp. This means I won't be able to provide regular updates to the forum. The only form of communication (at least for students) will be cell phones. Although, it is recommended to limit calls because the roaming charges are straight from the pits of hell.

One plus is that a girl who likes like a pre-breakdown Amanda Bynes is going. Shwing!
24-04-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm proud to announce that I was awarded the scholarship that I applied for to help cover some of the cost of the field school. This takes some of the financial strain off of me since I've paid for 100% of the program cost ($4,700) out of pocket. I haven't touched any of the crowdfunding funds yet. I'll use that for vaccinations.
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-04-2014, 08:14 PM
I just bought my plan ticket--OUCH! I'm also submitting the last of the documents needed to finalize my scholarship. Now all I have left is to get my vaccinations, buy the rest of my camping supplies, and wait for the flight out.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-04-2014, 09:23 PM
(28-04-2014 08:14 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I just bought my plan ticket--OUCH! I'm also submitting the last of the documents needed to finalize my scholarship. Now all I have left is to get my vaccinations, buy the rest of my camping supplies, and wait for the flight out.

Bring skulls on sticks back brother. Thumbsup

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-04-2014, 04:43 PM
(28-04-2014 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:14 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I just bought my plan ticket--OUCH! I'm also submitting the last of the documents needed to finalize my scholarship. Now all I have left is to get my vaccinations, buy the rest of my camping supplies, and wait for the flight out.

Bring skulls on sticks back brother. Thumbsup

It will be like Lord of the Flies.

[Image: lord_flies.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post