Summer field school in Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Summer field school in Africa
I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! I wanna see photos too! Lots and lots of photos!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2014, 11:53 PM
RE: Summer field school in Africa
My great aunt had a going away party for me yesterday afternoon at a local restaurant. I was surprised to see how much of the (rather extended) family showed up. I guess I found the number surprising considering that I didn't think the party--which was much appreciated--was necessary. I'm only going to be gone for a month. I know I'll be traveling outside of the country, but I did that in the military and was gone for much longer. I got the distinct feeling that they thought I was going to some war zone inhabited by African rebels and man-eating lions. I had to explain that Tanzania is a relatively peaceful area of the continent, especially in comparison to the Democratic Republic of the Congo next door.

One of the reasons I was dreading the party is that my family is pretty religious. I knew questions about the purpose of the field school would inevitably come up. I'm by no means ashamed of the path ahead of me, it's just I love my family and didn't want to get into an argument with them over religion vs science. Fortunately, this didn't happen. Those who I thought might have a problem with it thought the idea of me digging for fossils in the African desert was really neat. A few seemed questioning of the idea, but put on a smile anyway. My cousin's husband had on a Creation Museum t-shirt that stated: "God created and I believe!" (or something to that effect). I don't know if this was a subtle stab at what I was going to be doing or just a coincidence. I get a long great with him at family gatherings, so I think the latter might be the case.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
10-06-2014, 08:43 PM
I just finished reading the first of two books in preparation for the field school. It was about the Maasai people. We were required to read this since we will be interacting with them. The second is about the use of computers in archaeology. It is over twice as long as the first and will take me some time to knock out. But I've got several days before I leave and a long flight to finish it off.
10-06-2014, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 09:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
Make sure you bring a solar-powered charger for your smart phone so you can take pics. Thumbsup

#sigh
11-06-2014, 05:06 PM
(10-06-2014 09:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Make sure you bring a solar-powered charger for your smart phone so you can take pics. Thumbsup

I'm bringing a really nice camera with a rechargeable battery with me. There will be electricity at the camp site, but the lab equipment takes precedent over laptops and phones. People will be able to charge their appliances when the equipment is not in use. I haven't had the camera for very long, so I'm sure it will hold a charge longer than an older specimen.
14-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Well, I'm sitting at the Columbus International Airport and there aren't any workers here. My flight out of the US to Canada leaves in 3 hours. They want you here at least 2 hours in advance; you'd think they would have someone here at this time.
14-06-2014, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2014 08:03 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I've been in Canada for the last couple of hours. Toronto smells of freshly baked cookies and everyone apologizes for doing nice things like opening doors for you. I leave for Ethiopia soon and then onto Tanzania from there.
14-06-2014, 11:02 AM
(14-06-2014 07:58 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've been in Canada for the last couple of hours. Toronto smells of freshly baked cookies and everyone apologizes for doing nice things like opening doors for you.

Don't trust them Canucks. Put you wallet in your sock. Toronto seemed dirty to me. It felt like someone tried to powerwash the Bronx but it didn't do much except take off the interesting graffiti. Big Grin

#sigh
15-06-2014, 08:10 AM
(14-06-2014 11:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 07:58 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've been in Canada for the last couple of hours. Toronto smells of freshly baked cookies and everyone apologizes for doing nice things like opening doors for you.

Don't trust them Canucks. Put you wallet in your sock. Toronto seemed dirty to me. It felt like someone tried to powerwash the Bronx but it didn't do much except take off the interesting graffiti. Big Grin

Point taken. Now I'm in Tanzania. There is a surprising amount of cornfields, motorcycles, and hot girls. We leave for the field site tomorrow and won't have internet access after that.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
15-06-2014, 02:40 PM
(15-06-2014 08:10 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(14-06-2014 11:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't trust them Canucks. Put you wallet in your sock. Toronto seemed dirty to me. It felt like someone tried to powerwash the Bronx but it didn't do much except take off the interesting graffiti. Big Grin

Point taken. Now I'm in Tanzania. There is a surprising amount of cornfields, motorcycles, and hot girls. We leave for the field site tomorrow and won't have internet access after that.

And so, the adventure begins. Smile Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post