Summer field school in Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2014, 01:37 PM
RE: Summer field school in Africa
I'm finally back from the field. I'm currently in a hotel in the city of Arusha in Tanzania. My plane lands in the US on Wednesday sometime around 2pm. It turns out this was the first official Olduvai field school, and so my group set the bar high for upcoming schools. We worked under the auspices of TOPPP (The Olduvai Paleoanthropological and Paleontological Project), a joint American-Spanish venture, and helped find three pieces of hominin material. I personally excavated the second known radius of a Paranthropus boisei individual; the strata in which it was found is dated to 1.4 million years old. The professor leading my group currently has it locked away in a padded briefcase. I'm not allowed to post any pictures of it on the internet as it will be some time before the analysis and accompanying paper is completed. I'll start writing on my blog about my adventures once I get home.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm back in the states. I'm sitting in the Washington Dulles International Airport in D.C. My last flight to Columbus takes off in the next hour or so. It's kind of depressing to be back. No one in the group was ready to go home yet. My everyday life is far more boring than my life in Tanzania.
16-07-2014, 11:13 AM
I am thrilled that you got this opportunity!

write well, and maybe you can land a sponsor to pay for your next trip

Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
19-07-2014, 02:12 PM
(16-07-2014 11:13 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am thrilled that you got this opportunity!

Smile

Thanks. I'm starting to write up the first blog post now. I'll post plenty of pics too. Here is a taste. It's me posing heroically in front of the (soda) Lake Magadi in the Ngorongoro Crater, an animal conservation area in Tanzania. Damn I'm sexy!

[Image: 2fb981.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
19-07-2014, 02:28 PM
(19-07-2014 02:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 11:13 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am thrilled that you got this opportunity!

Smile

Thanks. I'm starting to write up the first blog post now. I'll post plenty of pics too. Here is a taste. It's me posing heroically in front of the (soda) Lake Magadi in the Ngorongoro Crater, an animal conservation area in Tanzania. Damn I'm sexy!

Why is it called "soda lake" ? It it just the way it looks, or is it a chemical rxn ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-07-2014, 03:43 PM
(19-07-2014 02:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-07-2014 02:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Thanks. I'm starting to write up the first blog post now. I'll post plenty of pics too. Here is a taste. It's me posing heroically in front of the (soda) Lake Magadi in the Ngorongoro Crater, an animal conservation area in Tanzania. Damn I'm sexy!

Why is it called "soda lake" ? It it just the way it looks, or is it a chemical rxn ?

It has a high alkalinity.
19-07-2014, 04:55 PM
I am looking forward to seeing more pictures and hearing all about your adventure. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Were you eaten by cannibals?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Yes, I recombinated myself after being shat out.
19-07-2014, 06:08 PM
(19-07-2014 06:07 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Yes, I recombinated myself after being shat out.

Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense