Sunday Assemby seems to be growing fast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Sunday Assemby seems to be growing fast
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/07/260184473/...s-up-steam
The "secular assembly" movement seems to have taken off. The New York one already had a "schism", but seems some others learned some lessons from that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
RE: Sunday Assemby seems to be growing fast
(whispers) the more that gather the more people will call it a cult. *head slap*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-01-2014, 07:36 AM
And the more denominations schisms exist, the more people will call it a religion Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
07-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Looks kinda cool...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
(07-01-2014 07:36 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  And the more denominations schisms exist, the more people will call it a religion Wink

I was just going to say that.
07-01-2014, 08:49 AM
I agree with Bill Maher that one of the great things about atheism is that it requires so little of your time, unless your organizing that is

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
07-01-2014, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 02:07 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-01-2014 08:49 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I agree with Bill Maher that one of the great things about atheism is that it requires so little of your time, unless your organizing that is

Still, there is power in numbers; but organizing atheists is about as easy as herding cats. Personally I wouldn't mind going out for an hour or two every Sunday and doing some science. Seriously, watch the Mythbusters episode on Mentos and Diet Coke; and ask yourself how cool it would be if every kid had a chance to experiment with them and attempt to deduce what are the key elements to the reaction? It's the scientific method, critical thinking, inductive and deductive reasoning; it's all around fucking amazing.

I don't think it's enough to just be atheists, it's not enough to rally around what we simply are not. I think we need to rally around positive things we can strive for, being pro-science and free-thought.

The world needs more inquisitive minds.

[Image: carl-sagan-quote_o_2388501.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-01-2014, 09:55 AM
(07-01-2014 09:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:49 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I agree with Bill Maher that one of the great things about atheism is that it requires so little of your time, unless your organizing that is

Still, there is power in numbers; but organizing atheists is about as easy as herding cats. Personally I wouldn't mind going out for an hour or two every Sunday and doing some science. Seriously, watch the Mythbusters episode on Mentos and Diet Coke; and ask yourself how cool it would be if every kid had a chance to experiment with them and attempt to deduce what are the key elements to the reaction? It's the scientific method, critical thinking, inductive and deductive reasoning; it's all around fucking amazing.

I don't think it's enough to just be atheists, it's not enough to rally around what we simply are not. I think we need to really around positive things we can strive for, being pro-science and free-thought.

The world needs more inquisitive minds.

I think we naturally rally around pro-science and free thought. There might be some anti science and anti free thought atheists but I've never seen them.

I think its great to gather if you can. But there's some of us that can't because of where we live, our commitments, family, etc.

There is on the other hand the negative consequences of gathering as atheists: Cultural polarization (us vs them thinking), perception of becoming a religion, schisms and in-house fighting to name a few.

If you think the positives outweigh the negatives, by all means.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
07-01-2014, 01:31 PM
(07-01-2014 09:55 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  There is on the other hand the negative consequences of gathering as atheists: Cultural polarization (us vs them thinking), perception of becoming a religion, schisms and in-house fighting to name a few.

Perhaps those are inevitable negative consequences of gathering as *people*. Everyone goes to these things with a different agenda after all. Why should we care about presenting a united front ? If there are more schisms Laughat then there's more choice and people can choose the flavour that they like best.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Nah, not for me... I don't like the cuddly wuddly, everything's awesome vibe that most churches (mainly American churches) give off.

It just seems like denial.

Balls to it... I don't wanna belong to a church of any kind. I gave that shit up because it felt weird...

Like being the only straight guy in a gay bar... I just don't belong there.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post