Sunt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: Sunt
Never heard it, but words that rhyme with it come instantly to mind, especially as a thread title. I think my mind is trying really hard to understand the word, but it's not working out so well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-11-2012, 11:51 AM
(14-11-2012 10:38 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 09:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Dialects can have a past tense of a past tense.
But why would you need a past tense of a past tense??
Did he send this letter before he send his letter? I can't see a logic in that?
(And I know there are different past tenses but "sunt" is for sure not one of them... at least not officially)

But I can say I heard "sunt" before, Latin and Romanian : "I am"
I'm not arguing the logic behind it. It's a stupid word and a stupid concept... but it still exists.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Pretty sure it isn't an actual word though.

Frankie de la Cunto
14-11-2012, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 12:06 PM by kingschosen.)
(14-11-2012 11:58 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Pretty sure it isn't an actual word though.
Of course it's not a word.

It's dialect slang.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-11-2012, 02:37 AM
My first thought was that LadyJane is too much of a lady to state that this is a perfect word for Muffsy's regular rants i.e. My new flatmates are s'unts, where cdiptu are the missing letters.

Possibly one can have a past tense of a past tense... e.g. A smoker might say, I stopped, stopped smoking.

Therefore 'sunt' = used to send, as in: I sunt letters but now I use email.

15-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Before I clicked on the thread I thought KC was making a portmanteau (holy hell can't believe I spelled that right) of Stupid/Cunt. Anyway, yes it may sound silly, but check out my hillbilly thread in the coffeehouse Wink

I think, by far, the ice and snow are "unthawing" is way more disturbing.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
15-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Unthawing makes me nuts, my husband says that although I have pointed out that if you unthaw something you are freezing it.
Hot water heater is another one...you don't need to heat hot water.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-11-2012, 02:10 PM
...and there's nothing I'm referring to previous in this post. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
15-11-2012, 03:58 PM
(14-11-2012 10:38 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 09:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Dialects can have a past tense of a past tense.
But why would you need a past tense of a past tense??

You wouldn't. Not even in a world with real, practical time travel.

But, being the English geek that I am, and a sci-fi geek to boot, it occurred to me once that, if and when time travel is invented, we will need a whole bunch of new tenses. Past, present, and future would all be redefined by time travel and it would be really confusing to talk about something that hasn't happened yet but will, through the marvel of time travel, happen in the past, or about something that has already happened in the future...

So I created all the tenses we'll need. I basically used the distributive property (yep, I'm and English geek and a math geek) and applied it to the existing tenses to create new ones:

First, the usual tenses in English

Past / Present / Future

Simple Normal: I worked / I work / I will work

Simple Intensive: I did work / I do work / I will work

Perfect: I had worked / I have worked / I will have worked

Continuous: I was working / I am working / I will be working

Continuous Perfect: I had been working / I have been working / I will have been working

And now the Time Travel tenses:

Past-Present / Past-Future / Present-Past / Present-Future / Future-Past / Future-Present*

Simple Normal: There is no simple time travel tense (obviously)

Simple Intensive: I did do worked / I did will worked / I do did worked / I do will worked / I will did worked / I will do worked

Perfect: I had have worked / I had will have worked / I have had worked / I have will have worked / I will have had worked / I will have have worked

Continuous: I was am working / I was will be working / I am was working / I am will be working / I will be was working / I will be am working

Continuous Perfect: I had have been working / I had will have been working / I have had been working / I have will have been working / I will have had been working / I will have have been working

*The first time period represents the time you travel from and the second time period represents the time you travel to. For example, when we describe a man from our past who traveled to our future to do some work, we might say, "He did will worked".

Yep, I am that kind of geek.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
15-11-2012, 05:47 PM
I believe it's just "sent" but with a posh British accent.

"Well mam' I sunt it the day before last"

[Image: oscar.png]