Sup!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 10:50 AM by RinChi.)
Sup!
Hey everyone. I suppose I would call myself a Pseudo Libertarian Secular Humanist if I had to label myself, I will however, accept my given name Christopher or Chris in it's place^^

I've been fortunate enough to have never tasted the unsweetened kool-aid of religion, save for a very brief exploration of Buddhism more as an academic exercise than anything.

I grew up in the CA Bay Area, in where being an infidel is hardly remarked, much less looked down upon. However, I recently moved to north AL for a variety of reasons and have had a slight case of culture shock. The community to which I moved, though very nice indeed is also roughly 80% sheep, the vast majority Baptist.

It was almost immediately apparent, though not unexpected, that there is a certain "stigma" associated with being Atheist in this part of the country. Far worse than I had imagined as a matter of fact. At it's best it's quite uncomfortable, at it's worst, downright suffocating. I am having a really hard time finding anyone I can even tolerate conversing with, much less a friend. This has caused me to feel the need to reach out, even if for nothing else but brief contact with some sane people. Big Grin

I'm a single dad with 2 daughters as well, and am also having some concerns regarding this affecting their school life, the oldest just entering middle school. I'm not really sure how tolerant kids that age are here to peers who hold different beliefs than themselves, hopefully more so that their adult counterparts.

I've listened to the show and followed the movement for some years now. I could watch Hitchens debates all day if time would allow it. Recently though, after experiencing the south firsthand, It doesn't feel right just watching anymore. I think I feel the slumbering activist inside me stirring about. Though I'm not even really sure where I would start.

I look forward to getting to know you all, thanks in advance for being here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like RinChi's post
26-10-2015, 10:48 AM
RE: Sup!
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Hello! Big Grin
26-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Welcome, from one Libertarianish Secular Humanist to another!

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
26-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Welcome to Alabama...

Set your clocks ahead 3 hours and your calendar back 80 years.....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Welcome! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Enjoy your stay! Smile

**Crickets** -- God
26-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
26-10-2015, 12:29 PM
(26-10-2015 10:34 AM)RinChi Wrote:  Hey everyone. I suppose I would call myself a Pseudo Libertarian Secular Humanist if I had to label myself, I will however, accept my given name Christopher or Chris in it's place^^

I've been fortunate enough to have never tasted the unsweetened kool-aid of religion, save for a very brief exploration of Buddhism more as an academic exercise than anything.

I grew up in the CA Bay Area, in where being an infidel is hardly remarked, much less looked down upon. However, I recently moved to north AL for a variety of reasons and have had a slight case of culture shock. The community to which I moved, though very nice indeed is also roughly 80% sheep, the vast majority Baptist.

It was almost immediately apparent, though not unexpected, that there is a certain "stigma" associated with being Atheist in this part of the country. Far worse than I had imagined as a matter of fact. At it's best it's quite uncomfortable, at it's worst, downright suffocating. I am having a really hard time finding anyone I can even tolerate conversing with, much less a friend. This has caused me to feel the need to reach out, even if for nothing else but brief contact with some sane people. Big Grin

I'm a single dad with 2 daughters as well, and am also having some concerns regarding this affecting their school life, the oldest just entering middle school. I'm not really sure how tolerant kids that age are here to peers who hold different beliefs than themselves, hopefully more so that their adult counterparts.

I've listened to the show and followed the movement for some years now. I could watch Hitchens debates all day if time would allow it. Recently though, after experiencing the south firsthand, It doesn't feel right just watching anymore. I think I feel the slumbering activist inside me stirring about. Though I'm not even really sure where I would start.

I look forward to getting to know you all, thanks in advance for being here.

Welcome aboard. Let me know if you need anything, have any questions etc. Glad you found us.

GWG

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Welcome.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user