Sup friends!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Sup friends!
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself.. I live in Texas and it's kind of hard to meet new people around here. Being an atheist is kind of frowned upon here. But im kind of used to it since i've lived in Texas my whole life. As a kid a teacher actually pulled me aside and told me i would burn in hell if i didn't follow her version of god.. So that kind of messed my head up all throughout school. Guess parents and teachers are so lazy they just resort to scare tactics these days. Anyways i ended up finding my own way with no help from the school.. I remember hearing these biblical stories coming from people who were suppose to be.. smart and my piers. I just remember thinking "these people can't actually believe this crap right?" I saw through these things as a kid.. why can't full grown adults see how ludicrous these fables are? Maybe because its the easy route, i suppose its easier to say "God dun it" then actually study and learn how it happened. Good old god of the gaps, eh?

Well anyways thats a little about me! Hope to have some good debates and conversations here!

Thanks for reading and it's nice to meet all of you =p

Mr B

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
― Epicurus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Brightside's post
11-05-2014, 01:40 PM
RE: Sup friends!
Hey, welcome to the forum. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-05-2014, 01:44 PM
(11-05-2014 01:35 PM)Mr Brightside Wrote:  Hello, just wanted to introduce myself.. I live in Texas and it's kind of hard to meet new people around here. Being an atheist is kind of frowned upon here. But im kind of used to it since i've lived in Texas my whole life. As a kid a teacher actually pulled me aside and told me i would burn in hell if i didn't follow her version of god.. So that kind of messed my head up all throughout school. Guess parents and teachers are so lazy they just resort to scare tactics these days. Anyways i ended up finding my own way with no help from the school.. I remember hearing these biblical stories coming from people who were suppose to be.. smart and my piers. I just remember thinking "these people can't actually believe this crap right?" I saw through these things as a kid.. why can't full grown adults see how ludicrous these fables are? Maybe because its the easy route, i suppose its easier to say "God dun it" then actually study and learn how it happened. Good old god of the gaps, eh?

Well anyways thats a little about me! Hope to have some good debates and conversations here!

Thanks for reading and it's nice to meet all of you =p

Mr B

Welcome.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
11-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Great!

Now I'm going to have that tune stuck in my head as I try to get to sleep.

Welcome aboard Mr Brightside.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Hello Mr. Brightside, if you live near Austin there are atheist communities there. (ACA)
Have you heard of The Atheist Experience? They stream live on Ustream on Sunday evenings from Austin too.
11-05-2014, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 02:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
Welcome!

(11-05-2014 01:35 PM)Mr Brightside Wrote:  I saw through these things as a kid.. why can't full grown adults see how ludicrous these fables are?

Most of them are scared shitless of the void. Tends to lead them to a life of quiet desperation. Kids ain't afraid of the abyss, they want to explore it.

And I just couldn't help myself.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-05-2014, 01:59 PM
(11-05-2014 01:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Welcome!

(11-05-2014 01:35 PM)Mr Brightside Wrote:  I saw through these things as a kid.. why can't full grown adults see how ludicrous these fables are?

Most of them are scared shitless of the void. Tends to lead them to a life of quiet desperation.

And I just couldn't help myself.

I just watched this yesterday, excellent!
11-05-2014, 01:59 PM
(11-05-2014 01:52 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Hello Mr. Brightside, if you live near Austin there are atheist communities there. (ACA)
Have you heard of The Atheist Experience? They stream live on Ustream on Sunday evenings from Austin too.

I used to.. I actually met a bunch of people there but lost my job and had to move east.. near Houston.. Its like SUPER religious here -.- They play church bells every hour on the hour here. You know.. it starts with like a religious jingle then ends with the bell ringing the number of times it needs to, to show what time it is. Like if it was 6pm it'd rings 6 times. 12pm sucks the worst -.-

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
― Epicurus
11-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Hello Shy and...

O.K. O.K. it's the last time I use that Dodgy This'll be the 3rd time I've used it, Mr.B, and I think it might be wearing thin Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
11-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume