Super Moon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 02:28 PM
RE: Super Moon
(14-11-2016 12:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 12:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think its going to be cloudy and rainy. Some of the crazy fundi think the world is ending. It's the anniversary of Israel's 1948 birth or some such thing

Supposing that's true, it happens every year, doesn't it? This would be the 68th such anniversary. Why would they think this one is any more special than the first 67?

According to religious nuts it's the BIGGEST super moon since 1948 when Israel became a nation and Israel becoming a nation was prohecysed in the bible, therefore......logically ...that means today's supermoon is going to be the end of the world.

Wow. I can't believe you don't get their rationale.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-11-2016, 02:42 PM
(14-11-2016 02:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 12:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Supposing that's true, it happens every year, doesn't it? This would be the 68th such anniversary. Why would they think this one is any more special than the first 67?

According to religious nuts it's the BIGGEST super moon since 1948 when Israel became a nation and Israel becoming a nation was prohecysed in the bible, therefore......logically ...that means today's supermoon is going to be the end of the world.

Ah, I guess that coincidence does make some sort of wacky sense -- in their eyes at least. I had forgotten about the 1948 "Super Moon".

If you're inclined to be superstitious, though, this would be the third "weird thing" in rapid succession, after the Cubs winning the World Series and *&^#%&%$&* winning the Presidency. so yeah, world's ending soon.

lol
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-11-2016, 02:49 PM
(14-11-2016 02:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 02:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  According to religious nuts it's the BIGGEST super moon since 1948 when Israel became a nation and Israel becoming a nation was prohecysed in the bible, therefore......logically ...that means today's supermoon is going to be the end of the world.

Ah, I guess that coincidence does make some sort of wacky sense -- in their eyes at least. I had forgotten about the 1948 "Super Moon".

If you're inclined to be superstitious, though, this would be the third "weird thing" in rapid succession, after the Cubs winning the World Series and *&^#%&%$&* winning the Presidency. so yeah, world's ending soon.

lol
I like your name for *&^#%&%$&* . I'd like to borrow that. Bowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-11-2016, 02:52 PM
(14-11-2016 02:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 02:42 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Ah, I guess that coincidence does make some sort of wacky sense -- in their eyes at least. I had forgotten about the 1948 "Super Moon".

lol
I like your name for *&^#%&%$&* . I'd like to borrow that. Bowing

All yours. I can't even type his name anymore. I just "roll a potato across the keyboard", as WhiskeyDebates would say.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
15-11-2016, 06:24 AM
The scientifically ignorant Australian media has repeatedly stated that the moon "was at its closest point to earth since 1948". This, of course, is nonsense.

The so-called Supermoon is the closest full moon since 1948. Its orbit doesn't vary, and brings it to exactly the same proximity to earth every 27.3 days.

Typical media hype.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
15-11-2016, 09:48 AM
(14-11-2016 02:52 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 02:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I like your name for *&^#%&%$&* . I'd like to borrow that. Bowing

All yours. I can't even type his name anymore. I just "roll a potato across the keyboard", as WhiskeyDebates would say.

I prefer "chump", lower case, and spoken with a tone asperity, or derisively, with a sneer.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-11-2016, 09:50 AM
(15-11-2016 06:24 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The scientifically ignorant Australian media has repeatedly stated that the moon "was at its closest point to earth since 1948". This, of course, is nonsense.

The so-called Supermoon is the closest full moon since 1948. Its orbit doesn't vary, and brings it to exactly the same proximity to earth every 27.3 days.

Typical media hype.

Yes Something about ellipses.

Now, if we suddenly had a view of the far side, that would be interesting.