Super Super Mega Meca Rock Out Emo Kid Jam Band for The Big J

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Super Super Mega Meca Rock Out Emo Kid Jam Band for The Big J
Every year the town in which I live has an arts festival. The details aren't important. All you need to know is artist display their work, there are street performance, and a stage off behind one of the buildings. Presumably it is here so the less than great bands don't ruin the rest of the festival. Thank you, organizers. I wasn't looking for the stage but happened upon it while leaving.

My first reaction was disdain for yet another high schooler emo band. But hey, I wasn't a ray of sunshine in high school either. Kids are full of emotions. They make music. Those of us still in the music business, and those of us who have grown up to realize we're not actually going to be rockstars, can look at these kids with empathy. "You're dreaming, boys. Have fun, though." So, I smiled and thought I'd listen for a while.

Two things struck me. Yes, struck. The first was the glance of a young girl. Girl. A young girl who was very obviously too young to be batting her eyes at anyone over the age of fifteen! If her father, whom I am afraid is too in denial of his daughter's sexuality, had noticed, he would have been unhappy with her flirtatious outburst towards an adult male. I can tell you with some confidence that her parents are oblivious, at best, of their daughter's need for restraint, guidance, and hormonal supervision because of the way she was dressed. She and her friends, each with a different shade of dyed hair, were dressed, or rather not dressed, in ways even the most liberal of secular parents would never let their little girl leave the house in.

It made me uncomfortable and I walked over to front of house. This is where the mixer and it's the best seat in the house sonically. So the second thing hit me. These guys, though not old enough to drive, were pretty good. And it wasn't for lack of equipment. I know adults with good jobs in regionally touring acts who don't have instruments this nice. Mesa Boogie half stacks, Custom Shop Fenders, all custom Tama drums, Music Man bass, we're talking at least sixty grand in instruments. Hey, I work in the music business, I know what these things go for. And I should add no music retailer I know donates instruments of this calibre. Too much margin. Trust me, I'm an expert in this area. Whoever was sponsoring this little musical endeavor had money. But you already know, don't you?

I suspected it. Watching those four high school guys up there in all black with mop hair and fine guitars, the girls pleading for their attention, them playing for the girls, it was all becoming frighteningly clear. Then the drummer said, "We're gonna uh...do a cover now. But we're gonnna do it in our way. And uh we're gonna tell you what it's about." An aside, telling me what the cover is about kind of ruins it. "So like this is a uh Chavel song. It's called 'The Red' and Chavel they are they're singing about anger. They say, 'The red comes bleeding through.' The red is anger. But we're gonna do it in our way. So like for us, you know, the red is the blood of Jesus Christ. And you have to like let him bleed through in all you do. Like in everything. In your conversations and all. So here it is." And there it was.

This is how they get them. What boy entering puberty doesn't want to be in a rock band? I did! And I wanted girls to like me. I really wanted girls to like me. The two were quite related. If someone had offered me a guitar and an amp setup even nicer than the ones I saw my favorite bands playing on MTV, I would have been hard pressed to turn it down. (Not really, I was a skeptical kid and never good at selling out, even back then.) But you can see why a kid would! Make their musical dreams come true, send your daughter's to see them because they're a good Christian band, have them do a few free shows to get the word out, tell your friends to send their kids to see the good Christian band, and watch your congregation grow. Folks, this is marketing at its finest. Selling sex and rock-and-roll to kids in the name of Jesus Christ.

Rant over. I feel better now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: Super Super Mega Meca Rock Out Emo Kid Jam Band for The Big J
(25-08-2012 02:09 PM)anselm Wrote:  It made me uncomfortable and I walked over to front of house. This is where the mixer and it's the best seat in the house sonically. So the second thing hit me. These guys, though not old enough to drive, were pretty good. And it wasn't for lack of equipment. I know adults with good jobs in regionally touring acts who don't have instruments this nice. Mesa Boogie half stacks, Custom Shop Fenders, all custom Tama drums, Music Man bass, we're talking at least sixty grand in instruments. Hey, I work in the music business, I know what these things go for. And I should add no music retailer I know donates instruments of this calibre. Too much margin. Trust me, I'm an expert in this area. Whoever was sponsoring this little musical endeavor had money. But you already know, don't you?

I used to gig regularly round here and I always noticed that the kids all seem to have great equipment. I don't know where they all get the money... probably their loaded parents tbh...

I gig with shitey budget equipment. Admittedly, I like it... I like having to force a good sound out of something. With budget guitars you really have to try to make it sound good while all these brats have freakin' gibsons and custom fenders and shit.

I'll be back gigging pretty soon, I wonder if it is the same.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply