Super solar storms may hit Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2014, 01:28 AM
Super solar storms may hit Earth
I read this article by Express.co.uk that say's
Quote:The planet is facing a repeat of the devastating solar superstorm of 1859 - dubbed the Carrington Event after English astronomer Richard Carrington. NASA scientists say Carrington-level event happens every 150 years with the next one currently five years overdue.

The likelihood of one occurring in the next decade is as high as 12 per cent, they added.

Thing is I couldn't find anything about this on NASA's website and the Express website is calling it apocalyptic and somehow connected to the blood moons or some stuff. Is this legit?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
04-08-2014, 03:18 AM
RE: Super solar storms may hit Earth
The Daily Express appears to be more of a tabloid than an actual scientific journal or newspaper.

It has horoscopes and stuff.
04-08-2014, 03:32 AM
(04-08-2014 03:18 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  The Daily Express appears to be more of a tabloid than an actual scientific journal or newspaper.

It has horoscopes and stuff.

Seems to over exaggerate stuff. There is something on NASA's website about it on an article talking about the one that almost hit us on 2012. They said there's 12% of one hitting us within a decade but I doubt it'll be an apocalypse or anything.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-08-2014, 03:56 AM
I just watched Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Bill Maher the other day talking briefly about the 2012 "near miss".
He said it wasn't even close, it hit about one-third of our orbit behind us.
It helps sell papers to exaggerate.
04-08-2014, 03:59 AM
(04-08-2014 03:56 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  I just watched Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Bill Maher the other day talking briefly about the 2012 "near miss".
He said it wasn't even close, it hit about one-third of our orbit behind us.
It helps sell papers to exaggerate.

Yeah true

04-08-2014, 06:08 AM
(04-08-2014 01:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Thing is I couldn't find anything about this on NASA's website and the Express website is calling it apocalyptic and somehow connected to the blood moons or some stuff. Is this legit?

No.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2014, 07:27 AM
You can check out this guy on youtube who does a daily commentary on the sun and who places links in the description of every video of what he uses so you can check it out yourself.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.