Superfluous Humans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Superfluous Humans
There are some trend lines that I find troubling and I wonder if others see what I see or if they have a different perspective on the future. So without further ado -

1) Robots are improving markedly. Seems like there is a new animal robot video each week. How much longer before we start seeing these in day to day life? Not long I am thinking.

2) Relatedly these improved robots are being used to automate many tasks heretofore performed by people, up to and including driving with the advent of driverless cars (can driverless trucks be far behind?) These advances, and others like them, will put a large number of people out of work. Indeed if your job can be done by a robot or a computer algorithm then you are pretty much doomed.

3) The human population is increasing. I have seen predictions from 10 to 12 billion people at peak. Take any problems that we have now and multiply them by 1.5 (at the very least).

So, Lots more people coming. Fewer and fewer jobs for them to do. This seems to me to be a recipe for massive social unrest even aside from the coming changes in the climate. I was just wondering if other people see the same things or if there was some source of hope that I might have missed somewhere along the way.

The truth will not set you free. It will only let you see your chains.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2015, 05:54 PM
RE: Superfluous Humans
(24-08-2015 05:40 PM)Thameron Wrote:  There are some trend lines that I find troubling and I wonder if others see what I see or if they have a different perspective on the future. So without further ado -

1) Robots are improving markedly. Seems like there is a new animal robot video each week. How much longer before we start seeing these in day to day life? Not long I am thinking.

2) Relatedly these improved robots are being used to automate many tasks heretofore performed by people, up to and including driving with the advent of driverless cars (can driverless trucks be far behind?) These advances, and others like them, will put a large number of people out of work. Indeed if your job can be done by a robot or a computer algorithm then you are pretty much doomed.

3) The human population is increasing. I have seen predictions from 10 to 12 billion people at peak. Take any problems that we have now and multiply them by 1.5 (at the very least).

So, Lots more people coming. Fewer and fewer jobs for them to do. This seems to me to be a recipe for massive social unrest even aside from the coming changes in the climate. I was just wondering if other people see the same things or if there was some source of hope that I might have missed somewhere along the way.

Then you better hope Gene Roddenberry's vision for the future is right then.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
24-08-2015, 08:51 PM
(24-08-2015 05:54 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Then you better hope Gene Roddenberry's vision for the future is right then.

Current events lead me to conclude that human stupidity and malice are going nowhere. Gene's vision seems quite distant if not outright impossible. Right now the future looks like a noxious blend of Wall-E, Idiocracy and Soylent Green.

[+] 3 users Like Thameron's post
25-08-2015, 03:30 AM
(24-08-2015 08:51 PM)Thameron Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 05:54 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Then you better hope Gene Roddenberry's vision for the future is right then.

Current events lead me to conclude that human stupidity and malice are going nowhere. Gene's vision seems quite distant if not outright impossible. Right now the future looks like a noxious blend of Wall-E, Idiocracy and Soylent Green.

[Image: tumblr_n71gt17uk91trbh6do1_400.gif]

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
25-08-2015, 03:56 AM
We're just the transitional fossil between organic life and machine intelligence. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-08-2015, 04:41 AM
At work.

*Waves hands in air*

Oh noes! The steam powered mills will take all our jobs!

*Sigh*

It's not like there have been changes within industry before. To which people/societies have adapted.
25-08-2015, 09:13 AM
(25-08-2015 04:41 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  It's not like there have been changes within industry before. To which people/societies have adapted.

As the stock people tell you - past performance is no indication of future returns. What jobs are there that humans can do that machines cannot do now and could never do? And it is all very well to have high end jobs available for highly educated and highly trained individuals if a vast majority can afford neither the education nor the training in order to be able to qualify for them. Also a certain segment of the political spectrum is ready, willing, able (even eager) to pull that ladder out from underneath anyone trying to climb it. If our (US) society as a whole valued education I'd feel more hopeful, but a significant percentage seem to place a higher value on ignorance.