Superhydrophobic metal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 03:00 AM
Superhydrophobic metal
Scientists at University of Rochester were able to use a laser to etch a nanostructure onto a piece of metal and the result was an astounding hydrophobic metal where water bounces off like a bouncy ball. With there being no chemicals, it won't wear off. The amazing stuff we could do with this new found technology is outstanding.

[Image: f0rkjg6lcluasfchhyru.gif]

[Image: ml0zxpl9kvfpwl1m1egp.gif]

Source

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like JDog554's post
21-01-2015, 03:05 AM
RE: Superhydrophobic metal
Strangely satisfying to watch. I'll file that next to non-Newtonian fluids in my library of "strange sciencey shit that amuses me".

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 2 users Like gofish!'s post
21-01-2015, 03:08 AM
(21-01-2015 03:05 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Strangely satisfying to watch.

It is. It's like they dropped a bunch of tiny clear bouncy balls onto a surface.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
21-01-2015, 04:45 AM
Impressive!

Some of the claims are a bit hyped though. Nanostructure surfaces do wear over time. They'll hold up better than chemical coatings but they're hardly eternal. The real difficulty actually won't be wear, it'll be other crap getting gummed up in them. A little dust or hard water scale could easily muck this up.

Still, pretty cool.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
21-01-2015, 05:02 PM
(21-01-2015 04:45 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Impressive!

Some of the claims are a bit hyped though. Nanostructure surfaces do wear over time. They'll hold up better than chemical coatings but they're hardly eternal. The real difficulty actually won't be wear, it'll be other crap getting gummed up in them. A little dust or hard water scale could easily muck this up.

Still, pretty cool.

Well nothings ever perfect but yes impressive and is a step in the right direction.

22-01-2015, 08:36 AM
(21-01-2015 04:45 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I They'll hold up better than chemical coatings but they're hardly eternal.

Maybe the author should remain anonymous and never show himself or how it works. That way it will be eternal by default.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-01-2015, 10:09 AM
I have a dog like that.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post