Superior/Inferior Cultures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Superior/Inferior Cultures?
I have spent much of my life believing the notion that all people are inherently equal (at least, initially). The recent activities of ISIS and Boko Haram, however, has forced me to reconsider the truth of this notion. It does not take much observation to conclude that these "cultures" are inferior to those of most of the world.

My question (that I will attempt to answer) is "What makes these cultures (and others like them) inferior?"

I believe that the answer is that, like individuals, a culture that recognizes and respects human rights is existentially superior to one that doesn't. Obviously, ISIS and Boko Haram has no respect for the rights of other people. Like the typical gang of thugs (or in this case) Fascists, these organizations, would turn on each other with the smallest provocation. Who coined the phrase "a revolution always eats it's own?"

Blatant hypocrisy is inherent in any culture that ignores the human rights of all people. Inevitably, the leaders are elitists--they consider themselves above "the masses". In this case, the sheep that they are enlisted by Allah to lead. They consider themselves, and are reinforced in this by the Quran, to be above the law that they apply to others. In psychological terms, they are megalomaniacs.

retrospectively, they are of the very same cultural orientation as the Nazis. I used the term Fascist in it's social sense rather than it's economic or political sense.

I am beginning to explore the implications of my changed notion and would appreciate hearing your observations or questions on the subject.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 06:11 PM
RE: Superior/Inferior Cultures?
I do not believe that some cultures are infirior or supirior.

What is crucial to me is that I believe that not all cultural practices are acceptable and tolerating these is in direct conflict with common human values.

Throwing accid into a womans face because she doesnt wear a vail, marrying a 14 year old girl to some 68 year old pervert, stoning someone to death because they had sex before marriage.

These things are unacceptable. But there are social justice warrior assholes who claim that critizising these parctices is "racist".

Fuck them and fuck those "cultural practices".

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
01-04-2015, 09:36 AM
It's all poorly utilized terminology from a time gone by in my book. At least it should be and largely is.

In certain ways their superior and inferior to eachother based on different values. Western culture is far inferior in establishing a lifestyle devoted to Gods. And Muslim dominated cultures are often inferior in systems setting up individual humanistic goals and having a sense of equality across many ranges.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Systems of behaviour can be superior or inferior to each other based on defined values and the results of actions with respect to those values. People can agree on shared values and when they do they can collectively judge particular systems as superior or inferior with respect to the shared values.

People can agree shared values and behaviours and do agree shared values and behaviours. That's how our society reached the point where it is. It's a continuous process. When we find a branch of our global society is appearing not to behave in an optimal way with respect to our values we should explore the following questions:
- Are they expressing or adhering to values that we should adopt or greater emphasise?
- Are they expressing or adhering to values that we should reject or lesser emphasise?
- Are they considering consequences of behaviours on values that we have failed to consider?
- Are they failing to consider consequences of behaviours that we have considered?

There have in the past been many small groups who have behaved in revolutionary or counter-cultural ways that society as a whole has eventually adopted. As for ISIS and Boko Haram I think once we are really really sure we have considered their values and beliefs about consequences fully we should be prepared to take substantial punitive action against them to bring their actions into line with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other standard broadly accepted value statements, and with international law. Their system of behaviours is inferior because we as a global society have decided what we value and those fuckers don't get to take those values down without a fight.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
01-04-2015, 10:30 AM
(31-03-2015 06:11 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  These things are unacceptable. But there are social justice warrior assholes who claim that critizising these parctices is "racist".

Yeah!

Fuck those shambling straw men!

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Objectively, a culture is inferior if it reduces chances of long term survival of the group of people practicing that culture. Considering how many people they've pissed off, I'd say that the ISIS culture is pretty much fucked, making it iinferior.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
05-04-2015, 02:48 PM
All cultures have goods and bads. All nations should strive to improve their culture, while preserving their heritage. Cultural practices help bring about a sense of identity within a nation, but some practices are simply undesirable and should be forgotten. My own Anglo-Saxon ancestors, for example, had something called a "wergild". This was a fine you had to pay when you committed a crime. The problem with this is that it applied to every crime. If you raped a woman and you had the money to pay her you could get away with it. Even murder could be forgiven if you paid enough to the family. This practice is one we are better off without. The Arabs, unfortunately, have had their original culture almost totally replaced with Islamic delusion, which is why they lack the genius that other semitic cultures tend to nurture. As such there is very little to be admired in the current Arab culture, and if the Arabs want to achieve their greatness they will have to leave Islam behind.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
06-04-2015, 03:24 AM
(05-04-2015 02:48 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  All cultures have goods and bads. All nations should strive to improve their culture, while preserving their heritage. Cultural practices help bring about a sense of identity within a nation, but some practices are simply undesirable and should be forgotten. My own Anglo-Saxon ancestors, for example, had something called a "wergild". This was a fine you had to pay when you committed a crime. The problem with this is that it applied to every crime. If you raped a woman and you had the money to pay her you could get away with it. Even murder could be forgiven if you paid enough to the family. This practice is one we are better off without. The Arabs, unfortunately, have had their original culture almost totally replaced with Islamic delusion, which is why they lack the genius that other semitic cultures tend to nurture. As such there is very little to be admired in the current Arab culture, and if the Arabs want to achieve their greatness they will have to leave Islam behind.

This is my primary point. Western (modern) cultures have memetically evolved toward the of respecting human rights. "Backward" (less civilized or more primitive) cultures, such as those based on the Islamic traditions, do no have this respect for human rights. The "needs" of the culture (to preserve itself) is the dominant theme of these cultures--"Tribalism--"Our tribe (or race) is superior to all other races" type mentality. This tribalism (lack of respect for the "human" rights of non-members of the tribe) makes the culture inferior to other, more civilized, cultures.

It is the basic principal of "respect for human rights" which make a culture superior, not the culturally-specific traditions that a people engage in.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
06-04-2015, 03:51 AM
(31-03-2015 06:11 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I do not believe that some cultures are infirior or supirior.

What is crucial to me is that I believe that not all cultural practices are acceptable and tolerating these is in direct conflict with common human values.

Throwing accid into a womans face because she doesnt wear a vail, marrying a 14 year old girl to some 68 year old pervert, stoning someone to death because they had sex before marriage.

These things are unacceptable. But there are social justice warrior assholes who claim that critizising these parctices is "racist".

(05-04-2015 02:48 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  All cultures have goods and bads. All nations should strive to improve their culture, while preserving their heritage. Cultural practices help bring about a sense of identity within a nation, but some practices are simply undesirable and should be forgotten. My own Anglo-Saxon ancestors, for example, had something called a "wergild". This was a fine you had to pay when you committed a crime. The problem with this is that it applied to every crime. If you raped a woman and you had the money to pay her you could get away with it. Even murder could be forgiven if you paid enough to the family. This practice is one we are better off without. The Arabs, unfortunately, have had their original culture almost totally replaced with Islamic delusion, which is why they lack the genius that other semitic cultures tend to nurture. As such there is very little to be admired in the current Arab culture, and if the Arabs want to achieve their greatness they will have to leave Islam behind.

Current fundamentalist interpretations of Islam are antithetical to what most of us would consider social progress, but Islam in-and-of-itself is not a insurmountable barrier to social progress. Much like how Christianity and other religions can be re-interpreted or marginalized to make room for progress, so can Islam; and it's happened before already.

WHAT LED TO THE GOLDEN AGE?

“The Golden Age” was based on several factors (5)⇓ . Muslims following the guidelines of the Prophet studied and searched for knowledge (1⇓ , 5⇓ , 6)⇓ . The Quran is clear: “The scholar’s ink is more sacred than the blood of martyrs”, while the Prophet promoted medical research preaching that “For every disease, Allah has given a cure.” (5)⇓ Communication became easier because the Muslim Empire united extensive geographic areas. Scholars travelled to teach or share ideas. Furthermore, the Arabic language became a unifying factor (4⇓ , 5)⇓ . Translations from Greek, Latin, and Chinese into Arabic were innumerable, thus removing language barriers for scholars. During the same period, Arabs learned from the Chinese how to produce paper and books became more available (5)⇓ . Libraries were established in Cairo, Aleppo, Baghdad, and urban centers in Iran, central Asia, and Spain, while bookshops with thousands of titles opened in several cities (4⇓ , 5)⇓ . Finally, The House of Wisdom, an academic institution serving as a university, was established in Baghdad in 1004 C.E. (5)⇓ .

http://www.fasebj.org/content/20/10/1581.full

Government sponsorship

The Muslim government heavily patronized scholars. The money spent on the Translation Movement for some translations is estimated to be equivalent to about twice the annual research budget of the United Kingdom’s Medical Research Council. The best scholars and notable translators, such as Hunayn ibn Ishaq, had salaries that are estimated to be the equivalent of professional athletes today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-04-2015, 06:08 AM
It's very simple to tell superior from inferior cultures....

Superior = Yours.

Inferior = Those smelly fuckers next door.

It's just like how you find "Real" religion.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post