Superman the movie Really that good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Superman the movie Really that good?

Bob Chipman points out a lot of interesting points but one I think brings up an interesting discussion is this... Is having seen and loved the Donner Superman the factor in loving or hating Zack Snyder's interpretation?

Everywhere the Donner film zigs Snyder zags, Christopher Reeves spend nearly the entire movie smiling as Superman being friendly and approachable, Henry Cavill spends all of Man of Steel and BvS looking like he just saw his dog get run over. I wonder if that change alone is what is so divisive. Had they portrayed Superman not as a sad and lonely Jesus figure but more as the classic Superman who loves earth and the people on it would that have been enough to flip public opinion?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-05-2016, 11:37 AM
RE: Superman the movie Really that good?
(24-05-2016 10:54 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Bob Chipman points out a lot of interesting points but one I think brings up an interesting discussion is this... Is having seen and loved the Donner Superman the factor in loving or hating Zack Snyder's interpretation?

Everywhere the Donner film zigs Snyder zags, Christopher Reeves spend nearly the entire movie smiling as Superman being friendly and approachable, Henry Cavill spends all of Man of Steel and BvS looking like he just saw his dog get run over. I wonder if that change alone is what is so divisive. Had they portrayed Superman not as a sad and lonely Jesus figure but more as the classic Superman who loves earth and the people on it would that have been enough to flip public opinion?

I did just finally see the movie and wasn't impressed at...in fact after reading your post here, you're probably onto something.

I loved the CR Superman (two was exceptionally good). It followed nicely the established comic book (back in the days where there was just one). Superman was always little on the nerdy side, purposefully awkward to protect his persona and also the relatable idea that people truly see what they want to see. Let's be honest a suit and glasses is a piss poor disguise.

I think the Justice League superman was differently written, but really Clark Kent wasn't really in those...the focus was just on superman -- and mostly on the others.

Later comic books (ones that started after the CR movies) we began seeing a less socially awkward Clark Kent, more like Bruce Wayne...That didn't go over very well (and I believe led to the killing off).

After that we got the dark brooding, reclusive superman...which I had zero interest in.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Superman should be the opitamy of what a person should be. "Truth, Justice and the American way." was the slogan that was often attach with this hero.

Like most comic book characters superman has had tons of rerights compared to the original golden age superman his powers far exsead anything that was originally presented.

In fact it wasn't until the radio broadcast did superman get his kriptonite weakness and that was because the voice actor was sick and they had to explain why superman sounded under the weather. He used to not be able to fly just jump really really high/far. He's also had some really ridiculous abilities like making tiny versions of himself and shooting rainbows from his fingers.

What always was a staple of superman was he did what was right. And used his ablates to save the day with the least amount of casualty as possible.

The problem the writers ran into was what do you do with someone that is basically an undefeatable god.

So how dose the aplie to the new movies.

In resent years like the new 52 has changed a lot of the character of superman. He's more flawed in his personality. I stopped reading after they "killed" off Clark Kent. (A suicide bomer was going to blow up the daliy planet and Clark tried to talk him out of it. KABOOM! Clark Kent wouldn't have survived and tons of people were watching.) So all that remained was superman.

I think that the biggest problem with the new superman movies is Studios direction. They missed the point of why Christopher Nolans Batman was such a success. Yeah it was dark, but batman can be dark. Superman should be the opisite of that.

But I think the main reason it was a success was it didn't talk down to it audience.

.... i'm going to try to stop myself because i can already see i'm starting the ramble.

So the new superman is a little to stoic, when he should be happy. As well as being bit of a cry baby at times. Lois Lane just gets in the way, and shows up in the most unlikely of places. Lex Luthor was a joke bad casting and no plot, if anyone should have been stoic it was him. They missed great opportunitys for introducing some of superman greatest arch enemys like Brainiac. It would have made more sense of bring him in instead of Doomsday. That really should have been it's own movie, one that we would have attached our feelings more to the hero of superman. When superman was "killed" in the comics with doomsday the world morned. and I mean the real world. I remember being in my 2nd grade class the news having it on the front cover that superman had died.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-05-2016, 10:44 PM
THIS would have made for a much better movie.

[Image: nic-cage-435.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
24-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Weeping

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces