"Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-03-2017, 05:30 AM
"Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?
Supernatural is I think word that only makes sense in religious context. Just like sin. I see no need for using it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
26-03-2017, 05:38 AM
RE: "Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?
[Image: supernatural-spoilers-season-12-3.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
26-03-2017, 06:16 AM
RE: "Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?
(26-03-2017 05:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Winchesters

I love the brothers but these two make the show:

[Image: bc52f187bb1ffd88363bf91567f21f93.jpg]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-03-2017, 06:23 AM
(25-03-2017 08:01 PM)mordant Wrote:  If something is outside nature, no one can make credible knowledge claims about it. Once you make a knowledge claim, if it is credible, you are reporting knowledge from your five senses that is coming from the natural world. The supernatural is a useless concept. It therefore can be nothing BUT a relative subjective reflection of ignorance.

> Maybe "unnatural" would be a better term. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
26-03-2017, 09:00 AM
"Supernatural"
Deesse23 Wrote:So why not sticking to "i.dont.fucking.know" for "i cant explain it"?
Wouldnt that be more intellectually honest? What additional info or purpose would there be to call stuff we dont know "supernatural".

IMO, it is intellectually honest to admit that one does not know and can't explain something.

With that said, I'd like to clarify that I'd be very interested in reading some insights/thoughts from the theist members here. My intent in making this thread is not to make fun of a theistic world view or to be disrespectful toward it. My intent is to understand. In particular, can someone elaborate on how a theistic worldview isn't just another way of saying I don't know, and I can't explain it?

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
26-03-2017, 09:49 AM
(26-03-2017 09:00 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  ---
In particular, can someone elaborate on how a theistic worldview isn't just another way of saying I don't know, and I can't explain it?

Ah, there's the rub.
Some theists might say "I know": my text book tells me so.

Other theists might say, "I don't know": mysterious ways.

There is no particular theistic worldview they are willing to agree on, aside from a god-caused worldview.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-03-2017, 11:27 AM
(26-03-2017 09:00 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
Deesse23 Wrote:So why not sticking to "i.dont.fucking.know" for "i cant explain it"?
Wouldnt that be more intellectually honest? What additional info or purpose would there be to call stuff we dont know "supernatural".

IMO, it is intellectually honest to admit that one does not know and can't explain something.

With that said, I'd like to clarify that I'd be very interested in reading some insights/thoughts from the theist members here. My intent in making this thread is not to make fun of a theistic world view or to be disrespectful toward it. My intent is to understand. In particular, can someone elaborate on how a theistic worldview isn't just another way of saying I don't know, and I can't explain it?

It's often saying, "I know but I can't demonstrate it to be true".

I've tried very hard to understand also. I wish there was something more to it all than logical fallacies, semantic games and "personal evidence". I've looked for years, and found nothing.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
26-03-2017, 11:44 AM
It's a cop-out. Categorization is usually intended facilitate discovery and promote knowledge. There is an objective reason why some things are flora and not fauna. Up is not down. The anus is not the mouth. Red shift is not blue shift... Supernatural's only objective rationale? To make it harder to investigate an idea and thus protect the perpetuation of discredited and ignorant ideas.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
26-03-2017, 12:08 PM
If the supernatural doesn't exist then how do you explain this?

[Image: 2054cec0bf90544fa0aa2486ecb93437.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
26-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Re:"Supernatural"
kim Wrote:There is no particular theistic worldview they are willing to agree on, aside from a god-caused worldview.

From my observations, when arguments for the existence of a deity have been presented by theists, it seems that at one point or another, there is a premise (or multiple premises) that is asserted and accepted to be true without: 1) a clear definition (free from subjective, semantic manipulation) of what is being stated in the premise; 2) supporting the premise with evidence that proves the truth of the premise. Does anyone see it differently?

With that said, would it be more sensible for theists to ascribe their god belief to faith rather than trying to explain it into existence via logical argumentation? From a theistic worldview, if one has faith in the existence of a greater, benevolent being, then why is it necessary to make arguments on its behalf? Isn't your faith enough?

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post