"Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-03-2017, 01:58 PM
RE: "Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?
The OP reminded me of the movie The Gods Must be Crazy. The Coca-Cola bottle comes to them via the supernatural.

"Plot
Xi and his San tribe of Ju'/Hoansi bushmen are "living well off the land" in the Kalahari Desert. They are happy because of their belief that the gods have provided plenty of everything, and no one among them has any wants. One day, a glass Coca-Cola bottle is thrown out of an airplane and falls to Earth unbroken. Initially, Xi's people suppose this strange artifact is another "present" from the gods and find many uses for it. (They employ it as a crafts tool, blow the top to make music, etc.) But unlike anything that they have had before, there is only one glass bottle to go around. With everyone wanting it at once, they soon find themselves experiencing envy, anger, and even violence.”

[Image: p8763_p_v8_aa.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
26-03-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: "Supernatural": is it a convenient way to describe ignorance of how reality works?
Religion in all its many forms boils down to one thing -

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-03-2017, 02:38 PM
(26-03-2017 02:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Religion in all its many forms boils down to one thing -

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

It's more like religious self delusion is contagious.

Cooties! Cooties! And it's religious cooties, the worst kind!

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
26-03-2017, 08:18 PM
(26-03-2017 09:00 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  In particular, can someone elaborate on how a theistic worldview isn't just another way of saying I don't know, and I can't explain it?

I think it's a basic human tendency to fill in the blanks in our understanding with something that at least sounds like it might make sense -- to make up some story about it. Many atheists who know enough about science and philosophy are able to resist that particular temptation, but paradoxically it takes some knowledge to be able to say "I don't know."

Undecided
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
26-03-2017, 11:46 PM
I think that's the difference. Some people just have to have an answer to certain questions. Not having one makes them very uncomfortable.

Some people realize that the answers to those questions, if there even are any answers, don't actually matter. We're here, and we have to get on with it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
27-03-2017, 12:32 AM
(26-03-2017 09:00 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  ...In particular, can someone elaborate on how a theistic worldview isn't just another way of saying I don't know, and I can't explain it?

I don't believe so. Theists never freely admit to not knowing something, and invariably say that some supernatural entity is responsible for anything they can't comprehend. In other words, they're not required to know. All too easy.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
27-03-2017, 01:26 AM
(26-03-2017 08:18 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:00 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  In particular, can someone elaborate on how a theistic worldview isn't just another way of saying I don't know, and I can't explain it?

I think it's a basic human tendency to fill in the blanks in our understanding with something that at least sounds like it might make sense -- to make up some story about it. Many atheists who know enough about science and philosophy are able to resist that particular temptation, but paradoxically it takes some knowledge to be able to say "I don't know."

Undecided
I would say that ability to say "i don't know" require humility. It's no surprise that theists (in my experience at least) seldom use it, as it is hard to be humble when you know what God Almighty wants and you think that he is interested in your life.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-03-2017, 03:42 AM
I just think it's strange how nothing "supernatural" has ever been fully documented. It's always a story/blurry picture/a "feeling" or something.

In this day and age, if there was enough evidence for it, it'd get investigated. To my knowledge most "supernatural" things are related to the culture you live in. IE in kuala lumpur, you hear stories of shape shifting monsters/demons, which I'd never heard of before, but in their local culture that apparently is a "thing" and you get people saying they've seen them. As "ghosts" or whatever are kind of a universal thing that everybody understands the concept of, a large collection of people say "I saw a ghost" when they see something they dont understand/can't fully explain at the time.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
27-03-2017, 04:12 AM
Supernatural is as nonsensical as a married bachelor or an invisible pink unicorn.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-03-2017, 10:58 AM
(26-03-2017 11:46 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I think that's the difference. Some people just have to have an answer to certain questions. Not having one makes them very uncomfortable.

Some people realize that the answers to those questions, if there even are any answers, don't actually matter. We're here, and we have to get on with it.

Yes, they just want to get on with their lives.

That reminds me of a story. My father's company transferred him to the Euclid, Ohio division, so my family moved to a new area. I was in my mid-teens and my parents wanted me to join their new church. So I made an appointment with the minister to find out what I had to say I believed in just to be sure I could do so without qualms. To paraphrase, his comment to me was that very few people took it that seriously. In other words, I guess they just don't care enough to put much thought into it.

I didn't like the idea of saying that I accepted Jesus as the son of God. I knew no such thing. But my parents insisted, so one Sunday morning I found myself standing with a row of other young members-to-be in front of the congregation. When the minister had us repeat our lines, I simply kept my mouth shut, and since my back was to the congregation I got away with it. At least my parents never mentioned it to me afterwards, and I never attended that church again.

I love a happy ending.

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post