Superstitions You Used To Hold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 12:45 AM by onedream.)
Superstitions You Used To Hold
I'm a radio DJ. Before I was a skeptic I would drink out of this coffee mug that said "With every cup, your ratings go up." I HAD TO USE THAT CUP or I was nervous.

What superstitions did you have?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Superstitions You Used To Hold
Jesus and the assorted christianity nonsense.
06-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I honestly can't recall ever having believed in superstitions. Even as a child, I thought they were silly. I found them interesting and wondered what the origins were, I even had a book of superstitious beliefs, but I never took them seriously.

I almost always let religious references go, but when it comes to superstitions I go straight into attack mode. This happens a lot at work and is a real source of lighthearted fun for me. Some get real serious about it, which makes it even more fun! I can't make fun of their religious beliefs, that would lead to big trouble, but going after superstitions is safe ground.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 2 users Like Heathen's post
07-11-2013, 12:25 AM
I play table top role playing games (Dungeons & Dragons, d20 Modern, Urban Arcana, etc.). So I have to remind myself that my game dice (everything from four sided to twenty sided ones) are not lucky or unlucky, nor are they out to get me, nor do they hold grudges. They are just freakin' dice...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-11-2013, 12:34 AM
Whenever I go on a trip I have to do a little extra cleaning or organizing or I think something will happen and someone will have to deal with dirty laundry or messy dishes or whatever and I'd feel bad. (still do this one)

I used to think cats running in front of the car was bad luck and bunnies were good luck.

I used to have matching perfect jammies to go to bed because I'd think if a fire happened I wouldn't want to run out in something gross or... nothing at all! Ha ha.

I used to think if something bad happened, and then another thing... that an inevitable third thing was coming my way.

I have a brother in law who thinks all green minivan drivers are BAD. He will avoid being near them on the road at all costs.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
07-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Used to?

I believe that if I don't have sex the night or morning before I teach a COBIT class that the students will fail the exam.

Yet to be disproved. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-11-2013, 12:39 AM
(07-11-2013 12:34 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I used to think cats running in front of the car was bad luck and bunnies were good luck.

So what happens if you hit the bunny? Unsure

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
07-11-2013, 12:43 AM
(07-11-2013 12:39 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 12:34 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I used to think cats running in front of the car was bad luck and bunnies were good luck.

So what happens if you hit the bunny? Unsure

ONE MILLION YEARS BAD LUCK!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-11-2013, 12:49 AM
(07-11-2013 12:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 12:39 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  So what happens if you hit the bunny? Unsure

ONE MILLION YEARS BAD LUCK!

Never heard of the lucky bunny foot?

[Image: bunnyfoot_zpsa374662c.jpg]

You aim for them! Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
07-11-2013, 01:03 AM
(07-11-2013 12:49 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 12:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  ONE MILLION YEARS BAD LUCK!

Never heard of the lucky bunny foot?

[Image: bunnyfoot_zpsa374662c.jpg]

You aim for them! Evil_monster

See, I never understood that. I would think that if I had been killed and had my foot removed as a trophy, that would make me extremely unlucky. So how does that suddenly reverse for the person that now has the foot? It's the foot of a very unlucky rabbit if the rabbit no longer has it! Weeping

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post