Superstitions niggling at my mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
RE: Superstitions niggling at my mind
Nothing for it but loud pipes and offensive driving.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't see how so many xian bikers reconcile their ride bell (or other superstitions) with their faith. Once you have one I guess the confidence doesn't do any harm, probably just best not to start down that path.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I gotta rational solution for you.

Sell the harley. Its 100kg too heavy, its a rust bucket, and the brakes are utter crap. I should know, I ride a wide glide (LOL). One day I'll get the suspension right (has taken 4 years so far).

When I want to feel safe, I get on my suzuki GSX1400. It handles, the brakes work, it is much faster, but much safer. And it only cost half as much.

Why do I keep the harley? Dunno. Some days it just feels right.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
12-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I would try heavy use of medical grade marijuana for 4 weeks straight, then double the use for the next two.
...eat only Cool Ranch Doritos and drink only Mountain Dew.
...while riding cross-country sleeping outside every night.
You won't have a mind to "niggle superstitions" in, then all will be well.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
13-05-2012, 03:33 AM
I think that giving up theism can be like giving up cigarettes, in the sense that there are habits we have that pop up in our actions at surprising times. I have been in a deconversion process for years, but months after I first used the word "atheist" in my head to describe my position I found myself in China on a runway in an aircraft run by an airline I wasn't familiar with - and I... prayed a little. I was shocked, and I'm really in two minds about even posting this and admitting it in public. While I haven't had a relapse since that time I think there are times and places where as an ex-theist we will have an instinct to do what we have done all our lives in those situations.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Hafnof,
Just goes to prove that prayer aka wishful thinking,
Eo,
You say "When I go riding on a Harley, I carry something that gives me psychological comfort. The type of 'all will be safe if I carry this'."
Can I just confirm that that this something is not your crash helmet?

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2012, 10:41 AM
(13-05-2012 03:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think that giving up theism can be like giving up cigarettes, in the sense that there are habits we have that pop up in our actions at surprising times. I have been in a deconversion process for years, but months after I first used the word "atheist" in my head to describe my position I found myself in China on a runway in an aircraft run by an airline I wasn't familiar with - and I... prayed a little. I was shocked, and I'm really in two minds about even posting this and admitting it in public. While I haven't had a relapse since that time I think there are times and places where as an ex-theist we will have an instinct to do what we have done all our lives in those situations.
Breaking the mind away from religious belief is very difficult for some. Others just walk away easily. I did the passive slide out of theism over decades and when I decided to take a critical look at the world atheism was just a clear winner. I do believe that no matter when or how you make this decision it is a very profound one and one that is taken seriously by those who claim it.

I think what is misunderstood is that atheism is not a rejection of religion as much as a realization that religion is false. I don't reject false reality I just go about life with what I have concluded is the truth. I know that I could be wrong, but after much thought my reality is one I think is reasonable to have. Any rejection is more on the beliefs pronounced by others in a god(s), creationism, Intelligent Design, etc. I do think that this is THE problem that the religious have. Atheists are rejecting their beliefs, not their god. If their god was real he/she could take care of themselves. The religious believer can't handle your rejection of their beliefs which is in essence a rejection of them.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
13-05-2012, 03:35 PM
DLJ - no, it's not the helmet.
Egor - It's a pewter cast Mjölnir, aka Thors Hammer.
Anjele - yes, I know many riders who have one on their Harley.
Karl - I think they have a few books out there of the biker realm superstitions.
GirlyMan - no way so far am I going to give up riding.
dredmal - The last part of throwing it away both mentally as well as physically has my insides acting as though nails were being dragged down a chalkboard, so I'm guessing I'll accept the predicament and wear it if I need to get in the mindset
Kim - thanks for the perspective. No, it wasn't stupid, it made sense.
houseofcantor - loved her in Iron Man

I just woke up, and don't really have the brains to make a long post. I went, it was strange and I think I'll keep with wearing Mjölnir for two reasons: it looks great, and no one I ride with knows why I wear it in the first place. Oh, and the fact the ride last night had me looking down at my side wondering if it fell off too many times to be comfortable. I guess that makes three.
13-05-2012, 06:54 PM
On a more serious note....

You were a JW for twenty something years? Poor you!!!! I find them all a bit paranoid and superstitious.

Carrying a lucky charm on your bike is no big deal...but...if it is indicative of something more sinister....such as a belief in god...yeah....you got a problem. Religious superstition is toxic.

I hope that a rational deconstruction of the bible may help some people, such as yourself, get over their beliefs. You may get something out of my website at www.markfulton.org.

I'd like to hear about your harley. Please tell us how you are travelling.
13-05-2012, 08:38 PM
2012 Wide Glide, custom. Not yet fully broken in, but once it is, it'll be ridden like it was stolen. For the record, it's not mine (not yet able to afford one, I'm 26, c'mon!).

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out in the next couple days, though I've had years of training of rational deconstruction of the bible.